Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

7 hours ago, xxialac said:

No way will they book Ocean. You’d have to be certified…

And if they book Kings of Leon, I’ll be firebombing their offices. 

Their first 3 albums are stellar and then......................I absolutely loved them until they sold out.

I still listen to youth and young manhood, aha shake heartbreak and because of the times daily.

Bored on a train journey, so let's have a crack...

Wednesday - The Flaming Lips - 25th Anniversary of The Soft Bulletin.

Headliners - Little Simz / SZA / Billie Eilish / Someone Spanish Speaking / Someone Big Hip HopChemical Brothers / Arcade Fire / The Cure.

Some Mids - PJ Harvey, Pulp, Pixies, Killer Mike, Robyn. And a f**k ton of other amazing things.

Just saying but Portishead - Dummy will be 30 years old in 2024...

Edited by Last_Exit

18 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Finally, I don’t want to be the one to say it loud…but is Frank Ocean really out, given the disaster he did with his live performer career? Would they be so crazy to book him (lower price now, maybe)? I mean, I would take the risk and immediately buy the tickets 

This is becoming a bit of an abusive wife syndrome, "maybe this time he will change". No, f**k this guy, I get he has a few great records but he just can't keep getting away with it. He either don't have what it takes mentally to headline such a festival, or he completely doesn't give a f**k about his audience - neither are good. I would never take the risk if I was PS.

Lots of random names in this thread. Would love a Funeral show, personally. Wonder if anybody got Depeche Mode right last year? that was a surprising booking.

Might be a minority here but I would love Morrissey. His solo career is super solid and if he puts 4-5 Smiths bangers in there it could be an all timer. Sure, he's a prick, but hey if people are touting Travis Scott who literally got 10 people killed less than two years ago, than I don't see how you can rule out Morrissey... 

19 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

I want to believe it’s portishead + my bloody valentine year. However, a radically different edition would be welcome (weird, surprising headliners >> tame impala and the national for the 7th time). 

Finally, I don’t want to be the one to say it loud…but is Frank Ocean really out, given the disaster he did with his live performer career? Would they be so crazy to book him (lower price now, maybe)? I mean, I would take the risk and immediately buy the tickets 

They did a radically different edition (for Primavera) in 2019 & it was a little divisive - I thought it was a great move & would welcome it again.  2012 they booked a ton of metal acts, was a bit of a head scratcher that Primavera were booking them, but it introduced in a new crowd (like 2019), and created a fantastic atmosphere.

Let's hope 2024 looks a little different again (along with the big hitters we all want to see of course!).

Edited by livenstu

5 hours ago, Last_Exit said:

Bored on a train journey, so let's have a crack...

Wednesday - The Flaming Lips - 25th Anniversary of The Soft Bulletin.

Headliners - Little Simz / SZA / Billie Eilish / Someone Spanish Speaking / Someone Big Hip HopChemical Brothers / Arcade Fire / The Cure.

Some Mids - PJ Harvey, Pulp, Pixies, Killer Mike, Robyn. And a f**k ton of other amazing things.

Just saying but Portishead - Dummy will be 30 years old in 2024...

PJ Harvey, and definitely Pulp, are not mid-level, if they'll come they'll headline

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

PJ Harvey, and definitely Pulp, are not mid-level, if they'll come they'll headline

Based on ticket sales? Then you'd need to explain why PJ Harvey can only sell 2000 tickets in Manchester and Glasgow but is expected to bring 10,000+ people in Barcelona! If it is based on legendary status, I perfectly agree. In fact I would be fully offended if Arcade Fire are given headlining status and not Pulp or PJ Harvey, who are much more relevant and much less creepy.

Edited by emmanuel

18 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Based on ticket sales? Then you'd need to explain why PJ Harvey can only sell 2000 tickets in Manchester and Glasgow but is expected to bring 10,000+ people in Barcelona! If it is based on legendary status, I perfectly agree. In fact I would be fully offended if Arcade Fire are given headlining status and not Pulp or PJ Harvey, who are much more relevant and much less creepy.

Based on previous headliners mostly. Both have legendery status no less than blur or new order this year and many other examples in previous years.

9 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Based on previous headliners mostly. Both have legendary status no less than blur or new order this year and many other examples in previous years.

Yes, but Blur are playing Wembley and New Order O2 Arena. Pulp are close to that, sure, I just have no idea how popular they are in Spain. I mean John Cale couldn't be more legendary, but he was hardly noticed this year at Primavera. Similar for Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, etc.

9 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Yes, but Blur are playing Wembley and New Order O2 Arena. Pulp are close to that, sure, I just have no idea how popular they are in Spain. I mean John Cale couldn't be more legendary, but he was hardly noticed this year at Primavera. Similar for Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, etc.

Iggy Pop was suppose to headline 2020 (or 21? Not sure), and John Cale alone is not VU, plus he's touring a lot, not getting the reunion bonus as Blur or Pulp.

Pavement in 22, Blur in 23, Pulp will be great continuation to this serie

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On terms of primavera and headliners, as far as I can tell they usually have 3 on the top line as headliners

I don't know how many people are like me , but I'm always listening to bands I've not seen or are newish , or bring out a new album, I will listen to a new Pj Harvey album but probably not like every day. I would more than likely go to see her . She was very good at the last primavera she played.

15 hours ago, emmanuel said:

Based on ticket sales? Then you'd need to explain why PJ Harvey can only sell 2000 tickets in Manchester and Glasgow but is expected to bring 10,000+ people in Barcelona!

Sorry but this is a bullshit argument and not really fair... PJ plays small venues because she wants and chooses (!!!!!!) to, not because she "can't" do any bigger. Same reason she takes so much time between records, rarely tours, and make very unusual music - because she's not about maximising profits but about doing what she wants. Basically, because she's awesome, and she wants her fans to have the best experience, so she plays more intimate settings. Using it as an argument against her like she "can only sell 2000 tickets" is honestly infuriating and arguing in bad faith. 

And even factually, you're wrong. PJ plays two Manchester shows in a row (2000 each) and 2 Roundhouse in a row (3000 each) and sold out all of them - this adds up to 10000 people. When Pavement played London they did 4 roundhouses which is very similar size (also on spotify, they're on 1.7 vs her 1.4). And they were pretty great headliners!

Your kind of thinking is very Coachella-like (where PJ would never headline), but this is a different festival. There's more to it than numbers. PJ is.a legend and Primavera fans appreciate legends. Her previous headline show was a huge success (despite being focused on a weak album by her standard). She hasn't toured since 2017 - making her show a "comeback" exactly like Blur. 

If she comes, she'll play the New Order/Beck spot - a major, full length early headliner spot in Mordor, most likely followed by a more commercial headliner. Anything less would be completely disrespectful.

Edited by yaniv297
  • Upvote 5

My call is for a 2024 edition looking more like 2022 (headliners a bit smaller  than 2023 but a lot of them)

Travis Scott (new album) / Pulp / Pj Harvey (new album) / Sza / My bloody valentine (new album) /The Cure / NIN/ at least one sh*t booking (sorry, I don’t know her music, but Olivia Rodrigo possibly? She seems about to be active with a new album) 

The National / Phoebe Bridgers-boygenious / Anthony and the Johnsons / The smile (new album) / FKA twigs /................

This is already too big and maybe not realistic? 

On a side note: if getting mbv, cure, NIN, pulp in the same year doesn't excite me that means they are spoiling me but maybe it lacks something really surprising? 

Edited by Whos3000_

11 hours ago, Last_Exit said:

Pulp can definitely mid-card Mordor, but they are not top tier headliners.

Polly meant the literal world to me as a teenager, but she's at the point in her career where she's more likely to be in the Auditori, than anywhere near headlining in this format of the festival.

If Pavement can headline on their reformation tour then Pulp can definitely do the same, as they did the last time they reformed. They may not be the big headliner of the night, but they’d be one of the three for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

My call is for a 2024 edition looking more like 2022 (headliners a bit smaller  than 2023 but a lot of them)

Travis Scott (new album) / Pulp / Pj Harvey (new album) / Sza / My bloody valentine (new album) /The Cure / NIN/ at least one sh*t booking (sorry, I don’t know her music, but Olivia Rodrigo possibly? She seems about to be active with a new album) 

The National / Phoebe Bridgers-boygenious / Anthony and the Johnsons / The smile (new album) / FKA twigs /................

This is already too big and maybe not realistic? 

On a side note: if getting mbv, cure, NIN, pulp in the same year doesn't excite me that means they are spoiling me but maybe it lacks something really surprising? 

Are there any indications that MBV are releasing a new album? They are pretty much predicted every year but there are no news that they are working on new music or have any intentions to tour, I would not hope for anything unless it's actually confirmed. NIN also don't seem to have plans to tour in the near future based on that recent Trent Reznor interview ("he’s more interested in composing film scores than he is writing and touring behind traditional albums").

PJ Harvey, Pulp and The Cure seem more realistic predictions, but I would not get my hopes up that we will get any of MBV/NIN/Portishead/[insert band's name that is predicted every year but never actually tours]...

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

If Pavement can headline on their reformation tour then Pulp can definitely do the same, as they did the last time they reformed. They may not be the big headliner of the night, but they’d be one of the three for sure. 

Yeah definitely, Pulp were much bigger than Pavement ever was, while also being critics darling (especially over the years) and having enough "indie cred". None of Pavement tunes are anywhere near as big as "Common People" and "Disco 2000".

As for MBV, predicting them is a bit of a meme until they actually announce they're doing something...

• Like 1