Keeping beverages cold

EFC1996

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Cool boxes stay at the tent or lock-ups. I carry a cool-bag rucksack which I fill up at the start of the day, and usually at the lock-ups at some point later. Heavy but a lot easier than carrying a cool box around.

What's the point in a cool box if you're also bringing a cool bag? Surely the extra cost of ice is a small price to pay for having to check stuff in and out of the lockups and or go back and forth from the tent multiple times. Plus the extra cost of buying a cool box and a cool bag.

20 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

What's the point in a cool box if you're also bringing a cool bag? Surely the extra cost of ice is a small price to pay for having to check stuff in and out of the lockups and or go back and forth from the tent multiple times. Plus the extra cost of buying a cool box and a cool bag.

Well, cool boxes work better and fit my alcohol for the entire weekend, you can add bags of ice and when it turns to cold water they hold it in. The rucksack is not waterproof on the inside but far more transportable and fits my drink for half a day/a day (drinking ale) plus anything else I want to carry.

The lock-ups are literally on my way in every day, usually go close to the lock-ups at some point. Very rarely but drinks, never gone back to the tent in the day, never drunk a warm beer at Glastonbury.

On 6/11/2023 at 4:43 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

ice from coop , cans under groundsheet , freeze cider cans . freeze everything you can in the coolbox 

Don't cans of cider/beer expand and pop open if you freeze them?  I'm sure I left a can in the freezer once by accident and it went everywhere!

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Don't cans of cider/beer expand and pop open if you freeze them?  I'm sure I left a can in the freezer once by accident and it went everywhere!

I’ve been freezing cider for several years now … thatchers mostly you do get the odd casualty but mostly it’s good . Wouldn’t recommend it with beer though 

It has become easier with the Coop selling bags of ice.

Last year my mate bought a big fancy coleman cooler with a load of ice pakcs, everything was put into the bx frozen and we were still drinking cold beers sunday night and th mildk was still good monday morning. 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve been freezing cider for several years now … thatchers mostly you do get the odd casualty but mostly it’s good . Wouldn’t recommend it with beer though 

We've Inch's and Old Mout.  Might test freeze once of each tonight and see how it goes.  Cheers.

1 minute ago, Jacksamthompson said:

3uHu1WYsCGxgzmKaRPstrK-0ONU5ATY9iE16Bzr_7wPoFdPULXAHaVsMDTrZMdWZo1cFeminZLk7DpHxTWH2j13dthOG27NSUaVlYw1dfqOIWy8jQdS4FCaEFZ3Eczdjq17_rx2cJN4O1rQ-QsVMM2WQLG5AJvM46FXWmaBU7BxETuL055Y2F4rinnMYkori0djcu1JlzRXuNE8uxqJMLg6_iu3-U4K03KNCdNVmHKKSgg-prT6QdwfvnXu6i56DSsnUAvpH6lAzOn8FRHGOImvI0X0hWJgmW7gR7EaoxZXYQSyATsU07j1BQjAC_T6b1wWmuIfjqfC6ExJTaLpfVuQ7sS1Z2tRmKYPu7q0-yzf3psVNNk85u_pgwXk5X8w9wFYkZ435a8Y2Ypy7J1AuKWiAxZYrus7SAk9350Z-S7dTib44UcLGfGtCuv8UMdy4Zr9hZA_7R_vDZlIpYWFMfwdaLwjN28q1wC_5ZnUxYSnir4xj0GEVikgewPCvKCr4SmF26CP8Z_F4v038rM_wyg0rufr1cSwQ6fPKBkMlc9lBjKjkYML_z_JrhHcz1fdaDUr3QzU7S8Lxdg13UhXuXQoqjZUbwz3xHSLfiYb7r2YGLDNr1hg-GSOH5uHiXeKlfsW5GZJS8KHuBzLl-lc5vQvfcRcmxAvIawmJe6vNs1WHnNgWIX8COrekmwI_tN911amhFIccV8imE4iANYmMfYj8u7ek31EGvrZt7xc0SonbDppbcPX2SWz5B_ANHRDHiohqPfi0MQK3ri-hENq5eqjXyF7_ihmml5NHJ9jyKUT5rFKB7GOW9ZgWPY9SWvZnDDn4Y7_Z2NwVZGDGahN7TPBP3ectcph2338FV1gK2t-GY3haT-t_wHFt1eEP7TfXc2tYMNBhGg8q1VetAQgqZe_gyqWWzIBCfc3EZHSPn2s2xQ=w697-h929-s-no?authuser=0

Took this last year - still cool beers on sunday. Gamechanger on Sat morning when the first one in the morning is cold and crisp. 

I've got the next size up which has a pull up handle and wheels.  Love it.

12 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Get in. how are the wheels on the farm? Took this one on the back of a good trolley last year but overloaded it a bit. 

Not great.  Small plastic things which would break over rough ground, but were OK on the metal tracks.  I also drop it in the trolley with the tent/chairs these days.

I take spirits with me, buy mixers as required & if I want a cold beer/cider then accept the cost. Hauling heavy cans around is a pain and the pay off is always usually warm drinks. I’m there to enjoy myself, never know when the next one will be, hang the cost.

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Posted on another thread . A few inches of water at the bottom … will be packed with ice and crushed ice and wrapped in space blankets 

IMG_6360.jpeg

Snap… 140 cans of various craft ales from Salt Beer, North Brewing and Beavertown… Just over £1 per can from the wholesaler.

No need to cool my box as it’s a 3 way camping box that will be running off 12v on the journey and gas on site. 

A9FD774B-A2B0-4399-88BB-10B91CBD5D77.thumb.jpeg.8433d972ea85f1e5fac2a01dcfca77ed.jpeg

165EEDFF-2912-41C1-B70C-D1286AAD14B0.thumb.jpeg.81b36926378a2aa89f891050bf30f95f.jpeg

753B089C-ADF4-4645-A2DC-00A3AAE96BC2.thumb.jpeg.b49000e66e55a6e409437d67e63d99c3.jpeg

1 hour ago, JamieKThomas said:

Curious if you tested freezing Old Mout? Wondering if I could get away with it

I froze one of each for 24 hours. Neither popped out or exploded through the ring pull. On defrosting, the inch’s was slightly less fizzy but both were fine. I’m doing this. 👍

Went in to GoOutdoors today to get a rain mac and came out with a coolbox. Selling Coleman ones for £63 and the gf had an extra 10% off with the bluelight card. Apparently keeps ice cold for 3 days. We'll see. Will be better than the coolbag I used last year which didn't last a few hours.

I normally used a collapsible wash bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes. Did the job fine.

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

But for £350 - just buy cold beers on site…

I didn't buy it JUST for Glastonbury. 🙈😂

We camp a lot. And it also gets used at the pub when we hold BBQ's in the beer garden as safe food storage. 

Also, you realise some (not all) of these Igloos can go for more than £200, and they're not powered in any way. 

Edited by Alvoram

Got a 47l wheeled Coleman Xtreme. It does very well at keeping drinks cold for days but you need to charge it. I have frozen water bottles in it now and will be putting frozen veg in it for 24 hours before setting off.

It did however REALLY struggle at Bearded in the heat this year and drinks were warm after 3 days. 

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Don’t forget ice is available at coop for £5 a bag I think should help on the sat Sunday if you’ve a cheaper cool box 

Indeed- that's our first port of call Wednesday when it opens. We've got some cans of a lovely Cloudwater session pale for that day, with more mass market stuff for the other days. 

Though am I right to think some ice cream vans sell ice too? Might not need to go to the co op if one of those around the Pyramid has some! 

20 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Indeed- that's our first port of call Wednesday when it opens. We've got some cans of a lovely Cloudwater session pale for that day, with more mass market stuff for the other days. 

Though am I right to think some ice cream vans sell ice too? Might not need to go to the co op if one of those around the Pyramid has some! 

I've heard that there is a spot to the right of the pyramid stage that sells ice. I hope that's the case because we'll be in Hitchin Hill. May be slightly more expensive than Coop though.