Best time/location to hit the on site showers?

boredawn

Hello all,

So, I dont normally bother with hair washing at the festival as much as this year, but I suffer from alopecia. Its been under control for a while, but i've lost a lot of hair towards the back of my head over the last year or so since my mum died. Its soooo much harder to keep this hidden when my hair is dirty, so I'm kinda resigned to having to grin and bare whatever facilities I can get this year for hair washing. I try not to let it bother me, but sometimes it gets the better of me and kicks into gear with some anxiety symptoms.  As manky as it sounds I dont mind going for a wet wipe shower, its really just my hair. Would people say its worth hitting the showers or perhaps just get a solar shower and use it at the campsite?

any advice welcome. 

The Greenpeace showers are much quieter when the music starts, so fri/sat/sun if you head by any time after about 2pm youll likely breeze straight in, or have not much of a wait. They do a deli counter style ticket system where you get a number and come back when they call it, so its not a bad idea to go for breakfast/a nearby set for an hour and then go back when its hopefully closer to your number. Wearing a hat or a kerchief would be good but itll also make things a bit sweatier and likely itchier and therefore need washing more desperately - its a decision to make. 

i always find having a shower makes evryone else smellier by comparison to lovely shiny new me 😃 YMMV!

14 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

Would a festival hair kerchief be a feasible solution that might be less faff?

Yep, and hats will likely be the answer most of the time, but if its sunny id like to be able to go without hat for event  a day or two. Because of how much more thin my hair has been I have to wash it everyday, so by day 3 of no hair washing I easily appear to be on day 9 of no hair washing.... its, not pleasant

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, boredawn said:

Yep, and hats will likely be the answer most of the time, but if its sunny id like to be able to go without hat for event  a day or two. Because of how much more thin my hair has been I have to wash it everyday, so by day 3 of no hair washing I easily appear to be on day 9 of no hair washing.... its, not pleasant

Fair enough! I'm sorry that's a level of hassle around that you're having to factor into the festival 🙁

I have a full body wash every morning out of a folding bucket full of cold water outside the tent.  If I can do that, then just washing your hair in it should be simple enough!  Brings you round and gets you clean, so it's a twofor!

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'm assuming all towels, shampoos etc are provided for? 

I'd be interested in this but not if I have to bring extra stuff

Shower gel / shampoo at the Greenpeace shows are provided, though you have to bring your own towel. Not sure about the ones by the Kids field though as never used them

An alternative if you have got a camping stove, is to boil some water up and mix it in a bucket with cold water and then have a sponge wash and tip the left overs over your head with shampoo, works great. I take one of the empty 20 litre plastic drinks water containers from work with me and fill it up on the weds and then sack truck it to our tent and then can have a shower wash each morning without leaving the tent. Otherwise it's trekking for hours to get to showers and then queing or going during the day and missing the acts. 

I bought one of those portable showers last year and it was a game changer - fill it up from the water taps then just leave to warm in the sun, then (either with a friend holding it or doing it yourself) you can just shower by your tent. I washed my hair twice over the weekend and showered every day and the feeling of freshness was extremely restorative!

Regardless of whatever festrival I've been too, I've always set my phone alarm to go off at 06:30/45 and going straight for a shower. Once done, I go back to bed to rest.

Plus with that I have my morning Berocca, ibuprophen & Para's 

1 minute ago, TGCarr said:

Regardless of whatever festrival I've been too, I've always set my phone alarm to go off at 06:30/45 and going straight for a shower. Once done, I go back to bed to rest.

Plus with that I have my morning Berocca, ibuprophen & Para's 

On your way back from the SE corner

• Upvote 1

Along the same lines, do we reckon the hair salon will be there again, and how busy does it get on Wednesday? I just want someone to properly braid my hair so it lasts the whole weekend without needing washing. I know there was the girly salon, am I right there will be some places around Green fields too?

I would get it done Tuesday night, but if I can leave washing it until Wednesday morning that would be better!

1 hour ago, andymk said:

Shower gel / shampoo at the Greenpeace shows are provided, though you have to bring your own towel. Not sure about the ones by the Kids field though as never used them

Okay, that's fair. I might be able to get away with my travel towel I suppose.

Always been a quick wash of the hair/face by the taps. Away from others so I'm not blocking it obvs and them nip back quickly to rinse. The cold water is a great wake up call.