RIP Andy Rourke

Yoghurt on a Stick

Sad news indeed, he was taken far too young.

One of the great bassists of the post-punk/indie scene, as evident on ‘Barbarism Begins at Home’, which I’ll be playing later.

I too loved The Smiths in my teens, I saw them 3 times - including their all-too brief performance on the farm.

RIP

54 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Massive fan of the band when I was a kid. When I was 19 he DJ'd our local club (Snobs). I spent most of the time getting off with my girlfriend directly in front of the DJ booth. That's romance that.

Wow - Snobs! A club that I also frequented in my youth, and then much later too. I think that I was in my late 30's tjhe last time I went there. I was with 3 mates and one of them had all the speed we were to have that night. He gave it to one of our pissed up mates, and he went into the toilet, came out and said thnks'. We said 'where is it, where's the rest of the speed', and he said 'OH, I thought I was meant to take it all! 

Then the bloke who had bought 4 lots of speed, rang his dealer and said pull up next to Snobs, and I'll come out because we need some more. So, he went out to meet the bloke in the car - just as the police swooped on that car which they had been following. MMy m,ate was arrested and taken to Digbeth police station. We didn't know (inside Snobs) what had happened to him - because you were allowed outside the front for a smoke - which I had done, looking for my mate. 

A couple of hours later we get a call. It's my mate who had been busted one call allowed by the police. Now, normally you'd make that call to  a solicitor, or family member as such. He had made that call to tell us where he is, what had happened, and could we meet him when they were throwimng him out. So, me and Shaun went to the policwe styation and waited another couplwe of hours before they released him. The other bloke 'Ollie' who had taken 4 people's speed in a one'er. went home instead.

When Ollie got home, he turned on his music (ie wee hours of the morning) and then 'would youy believe' fell asleep. His neighbours were in uproar. They tried phonining him, banging heavily on the door. They even through stones at himn through the louvre window on the top of his bay window. All to no avail. Then one neighbout went and gotma long timber line prop , shoved it through the louvre window, and knocked him right on the head with it. My mate jumped up, saw all these stones fallingf from his body, and qwondered wqhat the fuck was going oin.

In the meantime me and Shaun had liberrATED MY INCARCERATED MATE, AND WE WENT BACK TO MY THEN GIRLFRIEND'S FLAT (SHE WAS AWA\Y) AND i P[RESNTED HIM WITH MUCHO DRUGOS, AND HE WAS, THEN, A HAPPY MABN AGAIN.

tHE CAPITALS JUST KICKED IN. i AM NOT 'SHOUTING'. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's the bassline to This Charming Man that never fails to leave me astonished, even after all these years.

Ben

A friend posted a Youtube video of just the drums and bass for TCM on FB that I saw earlier today. The bassline is a lot more intricate than I previously thought, amazing stuff - he really was a great player.

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Wow - Snobs! A club that I also frequented in my youth, and then much later too. I think that I was in my late 30's tjhe last time I went there. I was with 3 mates and one of them had all the speed we were to have that night. He gave it to one of our pissed up mates, and he went into the toilet, came out and said thnks'. We said 'where is it, where's the rest of the speed', and he said 'OH, I thought I was meant to take it all! 

Then the bloke who had bought 4 lots of speed, rang his dealer and said pull up next to Snobs, and I'll come out because we need some more. So, he went out to meet the bloke in the car - just as the police swooped on that car which they had been following. MMy m,ate was arrested and taken to Digbeth police station. We didn't know (inside Snobs) what had happened to him - because you were allowed outside the front for a smoke - which I had done, looking for my mate. 

A couple of hours later we get a call. It's my mate who had been busted one call allowed by the police. Now, normally you'd make that call to  a solicitor, or family member as such. He had made that call to tell us where he is, what had happened, and could we meet him when they were throwimng him out. So, me and Shaun went to the policwe styation and waited another couplwe of hours before they released him. The other bloke 'Ollie' who had taken 4 people's speed in a one'er. went home instead.

When Ollie got home, he turned on his music (ie wee hours of the morning) and then 'would youy believe' fell asleep. His neighbours were in uproar. They tried phonining him, banging heavily on the door. They even through stones at himn through the louvre window on the top of his bay window. All to no avail. Then one neighbout went and gotma long timber line prop , shoved it through the louvre window, and knocked him right on the head with it. My mate jumped up, saw all these stones fallingf from his body, and qwondered wqhat the fuck was going oin.

In the meantime me and Shaun had liberrATED MY INCARCERATED MATE, AND WE WENT BACK TO MY THEN GIRLFRIEND'S FLAT (SHE WAS AWA\Y) AND i P[RESNTED HIM WITH MUCHO DRUGOS, AND HE WAS, THEN, A HAPPY MABN AGAIN.

tHE CAPITALS JUST KICKED IN. i AM NOT 'SHOUTING'. 

Beautiful story. I can just picture it.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:35 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I am told that they auctioned off the 'heads' that formed a wall within Snobs. I would so, so like to have one of them. 

I don't know how old you are. Were you 'around' for 'Faces' nightclub. I'm very much doubting whether you were.

Think they may have auctioned off a few, but the rest are in the entrance of the new venue.

Never heard of Faces tho. I'm 39 fwiw

7 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Think they may have auctioned off a few, but the rest are in the entrance of the new venue.

Never heard of Faces tho. I'm 39 fwiw

Yes, I recall what you mention now ie. that some were transferred to a new venue. I haven't been into Birmingham city centre for many a year now. I moved away from Birmingham just shy of 6 years ago, so that partially explains it. I was born and bred there up until the age of 52, when I left to live in Bridgnorth.

Well, at 39 you wouldn't have known of Faces nightclub. It used to be in an arcade at 5 Ways Island. I was never a nightclub person really - much preferring a lock in in the pubs in Digbeth in the days before the relaxing of licencing laws. I recall being in one such pub and a stranger asking me would I mind holding out my hand so that he could roll a joint on it, which I duly did. Then I looked to my right and the doormen had let in two uniformed police officers. I thought 'Oh bollocks, they're looking right at the pair of us'. Anyway, they did walk up to us, and then around us, and there were two pints waiting for them on the bar. Essentially they went around every pub having a stop over on their beat, and got a free pint at everyone, before going on to the next pub. They couldn't give a bollocks that we were in the process of rolling a spliff (you could smoke in pubs in those days. Well, cigarettes, you could).