First Time

danbailey80

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

Volunteering here for the first time this year. Really looking forward to it.

Of the 10 different festivals I’ve been to, I think EOTR is my favourite. You’ll love it. 

My first EOTR was 2018, and it was a total game-changer. I went from being inconsolable at not getting Glastonbury tickets for 2017 or 2019 to actually preferring EOTR to Glastonbury.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Kempleton said:

Of the 10 different festivals I’ve been to, I think EOTR is my favourite. You’ll love it. 

My first EOTR was 2018, and it was a total game-changer. I went from being inconsolable at not getting Glastonbury tickets for 2017 or 2019 to actually preferring EOTR to Glastonbury.

I'm going to assume that you're bigging it up too much, and lower my expectations - but that's what I'm really hoping for 😄   Any of the big acts at Glastonbury that I usually watch from half a mile away, they're on tv when I get home;  everywhere is a short walk away;  EotR doesn't allow me to sleep overnight in the queue, so I can have a normal nights sleep with no FOMO about camping spots; and I'm enjoying exploring this lineup (nearly) as much as any glastonbury lineup.  Looking forward to it!

11 hours ago, Kempleton said:

My crew switched from Glasto to EOTR, mostly cos it's just so much easier. Yeah you don't get Elton's last ever show, but it also doesn't take 90 minutes to get out of the field afterwards either.

Been to 3 EOTR's and I think I've cumulatively queued about 10 minutes for drinks, and that's pretty much just for lageritas

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, p.pete said:

I'm going to assume that you're bigging it up too much, and lower my expectations - but that's what I'm really hoping for 😄   Any of the big acts at Glastonbury that I usually watch from half a mile away, they're on tv when I get home;  everywhere is a short walk away;  EotR doesn't allow me to sleep overnight in the queue, so I can have a normal nights sleep with no FOMO about camping spots; and I'm enjoying exploring this lineup (nearly) as much as any glastonbury lineup.  Looking forward to it!

Probably I am being too positive.

BUT, the distance between stages, the lack of sound-bleed, the sound quality at all stages, the diversity of acts, the food and drink available, the fact that you can take your own booze are all huge plus points.

And, it’s just wonderfully curated every year. I’ve usually only heard of 10-15 of the acts when the lineup is announced, but I know I will always find new favourites - especially in genres I might not always listen to.

Once you factor in the film, comedy and literature and just how beautiful some of the stages are, it’s definitely worth it, for me at least.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, robith said:

Well, it appears we're now doing campervan for the first time. What's the field like? How big are the pitches? there's four of us and it will be tight in the van so we're gonna need to throw up a tent outside for the latest back to sleep in

Sorry bud, been away at Pohoda.

Two sizes of pitch, usually, with different pricing, but we always pitch up a tent (or two) and it's not an issue (dependent on tent size, obviously). Been in the campervan field every time (getting on for 9 or 10 times, I'm guessing) so HMU if you've got any specific questions.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not bougie enough to have a campervan, but my friends are. And thus I can then hassle them to make me a coffee in the morning.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, robith said:

Well, it appears we're now doing campervan for the first time. What's the field like? How big are the pitches? there's four of us and it will be tight in the van so we're gonna need to throw up a tent outside for the latest back to sleep in

39 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Two sizes of pitch, usually, with different pricing, but we always pitch up a tent (or two) and it's not an issue (dependent on tent size, obviously). Been in the campervan field every time (getting on for 9 or 10 times, I'm guessing) so HMU if you've got any specific questions.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not bougie enough to have a campervan, but my friends are. And thus I can then hassle them to make me a coffee in the morning.

Used to be the case that there was just one size of pitch and you were allowed one tent. The separation into smaller and larger pitches and only being allowed a tent with the latter is more recent - and we've made sure we had larger ones since then so not tested the rules on that one. But yeah I'm sure once or twice we've had one tent more than we should without any issue so I doubt anyone is too bothered about enforcing it all too strictly.

(  @Mardy This year will be your tenth, btw. )

We’ve had a large pitch with a decent sized tent and a big event shelter for a couple of years. Nobody has said anything. 

We borrow a mate’s campervan and I’ve always wondered, if we can’t get it one year, could we still take a pitch with a car instead and camp next to that. Anyone tried?

On 7/7/2023 at 9:57 AM, robith said:

My crew switched from Glasto to EOTR, mostly cos it's just so much easier. Yeah you don't get Elton's last ever show, but it also doesn't take 90 minutes to get out of the field afterwards either.

Been to 3 EOTR's and I think I've cumulatively queued about 10 minutes for drinks, and that's pretty much just for lageritas

Agree on a lot of these posts. This will be my 4th EOTR in a row, I've been to 12 Glastonburys and always try for a ticket though I missed out on 17, 19 and this year. Although I was gutted to miss tickets again this year at least I still have EOTR to look forward to, and while it's massively different, everything is so much easier than Glastonbury. The walk with your stuff, getting a camp spot, moving between stages. They're not comparable at all but it has made me realise Glastonbury isn't the be all and end all for festivals. There's lots of nice smaller ones out there. One of my mates who comes to EOTR with me hasn't been to Glastonbury for 10 years now, he can't be bothered with the hard work of it all.

1 hour ago, Chip Batch said:

Agree on a lot of these posts. This will be my 4th EOTR in a row, I've been to 12 Glastonburys and always try for a ticket though I missed out on 17, 19 and this year. Although I was gutted to miss tickets again this year at least I still have EOTR to look forward to, and while it's massively different, everything is so much easier than Glastonbury. The walk with your stuff, getting a camp spot, moving between stages. They're not comparable at all but it has made me realise Glastonbury isn't the be all and end all for festivals. There's lots of nice smaller ones out there. One of my mates who comes to EOTR with me hasn't been to Glastonbury for 10 years now, he can't be bothered with the hard work of it all.

I love doing both! But if the Glasto lineup is pants, which it was this year, its an awful lot of work.

Also Glasto has gotten far too busy. Too many people on site so theres queues for everything. I don't do queues. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, The Nal said:

I love doing both! But if the Glasto lineup is pants, which it was this year, its an awful lot of work.

Also Glasto has gotten far too busy. Too many people on site so theres queues for everything. I don't do queues. 

I’ll always go Glastonbury if I can get tickets. It’s the best but also a slog. 

22 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Folks I'm flying in the Thursday evening and hope to be on site for 9ish. Does anyone know what happens if my flight is delayed and I miss the 10 o clock cut off for entry via the red gate? 

Homeless Man Sleeping on Park Bench | Stock Video | Pond5

Is the "entry" not just for the carpark?

15 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

I got the impression it was wristband exchange also, no? Can you roll up at any hour?

Wristband exchange is open until 11pm.

7 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Not sure what the weathers like where you guys live but it’s pouring in the midlands and it got me thinking… how does the site hold up in the rain?

Pissing down in Dublin, what a surprise. 

Luckily in 4 EOTRs Ive only seen a shower or two but it held up fine. I think there was one bad year (2011?) and there was a little bit of mud but nothing major. So much of the site is concrete. 

Edited by The Nal
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Not sure what the weathers like where you guys live but it’s pouring in the midlands and it got me thinking… how does the site hold up in the rain?

It drains well, in all the years I think there's only been one, maybe two in which there's been a notable amount of mud and the one I'm thinking of was basically a monsoon on the Friday.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

The Sunday of 2017 was very wet - pretty solid rain all day. I don't remember there being much in the way of mud though and could still get the car out afterwards. Just be aware that there really aren't many covered areas, and few places to sit down. The tipi/folly and big top tend to get very busy when it rains and they do stop people entering when full. So, be prepared to get wet.

Oh, and if you want to use an umbrella either stand at the back out the way or put it down when the artist is on stage.

Screenshot_2023-07-14-23-41-53-885-edit_com.google.android_gm.thumb.jpg.4a30f1e7910d00e6253c93eecb68b8ce.jpg

12 hours ago, suttttttt said:

This was about the muddiest it ever got i think....2008ish?

Obviously been bone dry in recent years , even that constant rain on the Sunday 4 or 5 years ago didn't make a dent underfoot from what I remember.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, domjon said:

Screenshot_2023-07-14-23-41-53-885-edit_com.google.android_gm.thumb.jpg.4a30f1e7910d00e6253c93eecb68b8ce.jpg

This was about the muddiest it ever got i think....2008ish?

Obviously been bone dry in recent years , even that constant rain on the Sunday 4 or 5 years ago didn't make a dent underfoot from what I remember.

Was that the year it absolutely shat it down on the Friday for about 2 hours?

I remember the first year being a bit damp but there was hardly anyone there so the ground was largely fine apart from a couple of the main walkways.

Other than that it's never been particularly bad that I can remember. 

4 minutes ago, benali said:

Was that the year it absolutely shat it down on the Friday for about 2 hours?

That was the year I was thinking about earlier, when it lashed down for ages - I remember being in the packed Big Top split between watching Laura Marling and a distant thunderstorm visible through the tent flaps - and despite practically no other rain over the weekend parts were barely coverable without wellies. But yeah, that's the only year when it's been really bad underfoot.

Just having  a skim through the lovely 'The good, the bad and the ugly' thread after last years edition and I came across the disquieting assertion from someone that the Cider Bus may not be back this year. This has shaken me. Having never experienced it before, it looms large in my highly anticipated EOTR experiences. Anyone able to reassure me that it will indeed be in situ?

52 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Just having  a skim through the lovely 'The good, the bad and the ugly' thread after last years edition and I came across the disquieting assertion from someone that the Cider Bus may not be back this year. This has shaken me. Having never experienced it before, it looms large in my highly anticipated EOTR experiences. Anyone able to reassure me that it will indeed be in situ?

They've not announced the food and drink vendors for this year yet, the subsection on the website still says "we're in the process of confirming all our culinary options for 2023, though we imagine many favourites will be returning"