Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

51 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

It's pretty much unavoidable.  The majority of people arrive on the Wednesday so the rest of the site has got to absorb the crowd that would otherwise mostly fill  the pyramid, other stage and west holts.

It'd be nice if Mendip council realised that if they want to reduce the potentially dangerous overcrowding, they'd need to change the licence to allow these areas to have music on the thursday but I can't see that getting passed any time soon.

Hell, if they just had a phone playing tracks off spotify on the Other stage on thursday, it'd at least give a place for people to lounge around and reduce congestion across the site

The only other thing I could see them doing is selling a much higher percentage of Thursday entry tickets to throttle the amount of people on site on the Wednesday.

At the moment I think its only some coach packages that have Thursday entry, perhaps if some of the GA ones did as well that would help......not sure if it would work in practice but just an idea.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Glastonbury Festival:
Big tent firm that supplies John Peel Stage structure could go bust

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-festival-big-tent-firm-8272130

all because of name change .... its not 🙂 searches  ebay for the tent to rent to the festival 

Edited by Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

not sure if it would work in practice but just an idea.

Without changes to the licence restricting music in certain areas, it's probably the easiest way to reduce the crowds on the thursday afternoon.  Plus it would make the wednesday generally easier - a reduced queue to get in and a slightly better time trying to get a prime spot

I can't see how it would be too hard to implement.  They manage to separate coach tickets into different days and pick up points so adding an extra button for thursday entry GA tickets shouldn't cause too many issues.

It might make a bit of extra work for the ticket checkers to make sure people aren't trying to get in earlier and potential issues with thursday people hanging around the site from the wednesday but with the ol' CoL crisis, GFL having to cut costs etc and the licence restrictions, it might end up being the easiest way to deal with this.

Just now, BambooShanks said:

Without changes to the licence restricting music in certain areas, it's probably the easiest way to reduce the crowds on the thursday afternoon.  Plus it would make the wednesday generally easier - a reduced queue to get in and a slightly better time trying to get a prime spot

I can't see how it would be too hard to implement.  They manage to separate coach tickets into different days and pick up points so adding an extra button for thursday entry GA tickets shouldn't cause too many issues.

It might make a bit of extra work for the ticket checkers to make sure people aren't trying to get in earlier and potential issues with thursday people hanging around the site from the wednesday but with the ol' CoL crisis, GFL having to cut costs etc and the licence restrictions, it might end up being the easiest way to deal with this.

they would also need to reduce pitch fees for traders as they wont have access to the same amount of trade so its a fine balance 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

they would also need to reduce pitch fees for traders as they wont have access to the same amount of trade so its a fine balance 

A very good point that I hadn't even considered.  

2 minutes ago, t0paz said:

I think this would terrify the locals to such an extent it means it can’t happen.

It most likely would but could be used as leverage to allow The Other Stage or West Holts to have limited music on the thursday. It would be a bold strategy that I would like to see play out

6 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

It's already a bit cheeky that the Thursday entry tickets on the coach aren't any cheaper. 

Can't see many people opting for a Thursday entry ticket if it's the exact same price as the others. 

It might solve crowding issues but would create a budget issue for them. 

The main issue I think on the Thursday this year wasn't that there wasn't enough choice, it was just spread really unevenly across the site. Mel C and Bastille were just ridiculous bookings when there was no one else of a similar grade elsewhere on the site. Downgrade the acts in that slot a couple of levels and you'd spread people out more. 

Eats everything starting at 1pm with basically nothing else against him but a salsa class in Glasto Latino was also stupid scheduling. 

32 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Could say no access until Thursday 8am or something.

I don't think they would actually do it, but its clear to me that the Weds & Thurs are now very popular and most people now turn up wanting stuff to do rather than just sit about in their campsites drinking and taking drugs!

5 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Wonder if there'll be a bigger gap between Nas X and EJ owing to his stage set up? I don't doubt that it's not going to be the same set up as his tour but i think he'll want it to be pretty special.

If you look at his tour dates this seems shoe-horned in and an impossible challenge to move his full staging to Pilton. I expect the setup for the Pyramid will not have anything to do with the stage setup for the tour, but will be pulled together specifically for the pyramid. 

9 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The main issue I think on the Thursday this year wasn't that there wasn't enough choice, it was just spread really unevenly across the site. Mel C and Bastille were just ridiculous bookings when there was no one else of a similar grade elsewhere on the site. Downgrade the acts in that slot a couple of levels and you'd spread people out more. 

Eats everything starting at 1pm with basically nothing else against him but a salsa class in Glasto Latino was also stupid scheduling. 

I don't think I've ever been to Stonebridge on a thursday and it hasn't been massively overcrowded. It blows my mind that GFL haven't learned over the last decade that this will pretty much always happen without scheduling in similar size alternatives across the site in the afternoon

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Could say no access until Thursday 8am or something.

I don't think they would actually do it, but its clear to me that the Weds & Thurs are now very popular and most people now turn up wanting stuff to do rather than just sit about in their campsites drinking and taking drugs

Yup, getting smashed in your campsite is becoming a lost art

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Yup, getting smashed in your campsite is becoming a lost art

I can actually remember last year on the Weds, having got in and set up, done a trip back out to the car to get more booze...I was quite tired and wanted to kick back in the campsite with some cans, music and some 'goodies' after about 30 mins everyone wanted to go for a walk so we had to pack everything away.....it ruined my sweet spot of kicking back in my camping chair and generally just chilling out......went out in to the main festival which as we all know was busy as fuck and couldn't get to anything that wasn't too busy or a massive queue at whatever bar, so we then came back 2 hours later to what I was trying to get us to do to start with!

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I can actually remember last year on the Weds, having got in and set up, done a trip back out to the car to get more booze...I was quite tired and wanted to kick back in the campsite with some cans, music and some 'goodies' after about 30 mins everyone wanted to go for a walk so we had to pack everything away.....it ruined my sweet spot of kicking back in my camping chair and generally just chilling out......went out in to the main festival which as we all know was busy as fuck and couldn't get to anything that wasn't too busy or a massive queue at whatever bar, so we then came back 2 hours later to what I was trying to get us to do to start with!

Why didn't you just kick back in the campsite anyway?  I would have! 🙂 

18 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

True. My first time I arrived late Thursday evening. I soon realised my mistake and have been going earlier and earlier ever since. I enjoy the Wednesday and Thursday entertainment even though it’s mainly low key. I even saw a band play on the Tuesday night last year! (On the Hill of Death).

I played up there on the Tuesday night of the 2019 festival with my mates' band, would've done it last year too but the band didn't manage to get tickets. They'll be back this year and playing on at least one of the stages on site.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Sitting round the tents with a drink once the final run to van has been done is when the festival really starts for me. I love sitting there watching everyone else coming in and the tents going up, I am never in a rush to get moving whilst I am enjoying that downtime.

Edited by coma girl
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, coma girl said:

Sitting round the tents with a drink once the final run to van has been done is when the festival really starts for me. I love sitting there watching everyone else coming in and the tents going up, I am never in a rush to get moving whilst I am enjoying that downtime.

This, I love this at any festival. Then the bimble around.

Edited by jamesrfisher
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Download have a thursday bill this year, dont know if its just as a one-off (its their 20th anniversary) or itll be for every year from now on - they've not really announced what the craic is, start times, all stages being open etc etc but itll be interesting to see if glastonbury see that and think of upping their thursday offerings. A bit of Other stage radio/spotify type event would be good, though. 

Its a full day

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:05 PM, coma girl said:

Seems a bit of victim of it's own success. I always enjoyed Baggy Mondays but the crowds were so horrendous last year we gave up and went elsewhere as you couldn't hear a thing. 

this is the thing, espeically regarding the thursday entertainment as well . As someone who's really into dance and electronic music, The Thursday lineup for me at Stonebridge last year was absolutely stacked, one of the best runs of DJ's of any stages of the whole weekend.  if i could've found a way in i'd have been there all night, but i couldn't even get in the same postcode as it, and even if i could, if i needed a toilet i'd be right back at square one 

• Upvote 1