Whats your absolute ESSENTIAL GADGET / NEW THING you'll be bringing?

Jacko45

2 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

For the love of Mike do not buy this, absolutely terrible. 

Well, all I can say is my 23 Yr and 21yr both said it was good. 21yr did it in the boiling heat of boomtown last year and said it was cooler (not off the scale hugely)in his tent than others. I like the fresh and black ones, obviously better but that would mean shelling out a lot more money and they are students who use the tent once/twice a year. Double checked with them before posting. So, what can I say. If you are a person on a budget, my student boys were happy. That's all I can say

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

Well, all I can say is my 23 Yr and 21yr both said it was good. 21yr did it in the boiling heat of boomtown last year and said it was cooler (not off the scale hugely)in his tent than others. I like the fresh and black ones, obviously better but that would mean shelling out a lot more money and they are students who use the tent once/twice a year. Double checked with them before posting. So, what can I say. If you are a person on a budget, my student boys were happy. That's all I can say

Yeah I should of been more specific, just if it rains badly in that tent you're FUBAR. It'll hold a light shower.

Hot weather, you're grand. 

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

Yeah I should of been more specific, just if it rains badly in that tent you're FUBAR. It'll hold a light shower.

Hot weather, you're grand. 

Ah good point. Better start crossing my fingers lol!

Saw this nifty thing and thought of this thread. Might be awesome, might not. I'm not taking a stove or I'd give it a birl. No quibble refund if it's shite.  https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/camping-classics/rocktrail-portable-coffee-maker/p60934

Edit: oh yeah, they've got ponchos as well. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/camping-classics/rocktrail-waterproof-poncho/p60935?ar=11

For sitting on the dry, baked ground, obviously.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

On 4/27/2023 at 7:28 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I Googled it because I was a little sceptical, but it's backed by the WHO.

image.png.01639efe9990c4c894d3bea57fad0302.png

Well I'll be damned. Just popped to the kitchen to try it out...

Back in the early 1970’s ( yes some of us are that old) I used to work on a brickyard, hard work and very hot, we used to be given a lime cordial with salt in it, it was called Salime, bloody good it was too. Can’t find itt nowadays so I’m going to try this.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:59 PM, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Saw this nifty thing and thought of this thread. Might be awesome, might not. I'm not taking a stove or I'd give it a birl. No quibble refund if it's shite.  https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/camping-classics/rocktrail-portable-coffee-maker/p60934

Looks good but at that price it won't be great. I've got a pretty low end (compared to what you can pay) but fairly good hand grinder which cost me about £35 and then either an aeropress for £25 ish or a decent pour over for about a tenner or so depending on type. The grinder won't be that good and the filter on those types of things are often a bit of an arse to clean.

I'd never normally say this but you'd be better taking pre ground (sacrilege! May James Hoffman forgive me!) with a pour over/aeropress/french press/Moka pot.

• Downvote 1

Picked up one of these to tuck into my main backpack on the plane, then I can whip this out for daily walkabouts. Prob gonna fit a bit of cardboard down the back sleeve so it sits a bit nice on my back, but should be good value if I keep it around for emergencies in the future.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOMAKE-Lightweight-Packable-Backpack-Resistant/dp/B07MV5HZ8B/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=foldable+backpack&qid=1683568231&sr=8-12

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Not a James Hoffman fan @BBC7BBCHEAVEN?

Or upset at the idea of using pre ground coffee. I know, seems wrong to me too.

Just the assumption that expensive = better quality. A notifion regularly disproved

I picked up one of those coffee grinders and it's great for the price, will be perfect for the campervan with aeropress instead of bringing pre-ground.

It's got an adjustable grind level and ceramic burrs so should produce good coffee. It's also setup so you can make your coffee using just this if you're caught short, for £15 I think it's amazing.

( @philipsteak re. the Lidl coffee maker.)

It says it's adjustable which, given the form-factor, means it's going to be a burr grinder.  So for making filter coffee, the output is going to be more than good enough, although it might be slow and fiddly to use.  Your hand grinder (Hario?) will no doubt be better, but if you're not making Espresso that's not a big deal. I agree that there's probably something wrong with it at that price, but you can never tell with Lidl - occasionally they have some really good stuff at silly prices.  (My opinion may be different in a couple of hours after my trial run of the poncho I bought today...)

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

2 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Just the assumption that expensive = better quality. A notifion regularly disproved

I picked up one of those coffee grinders and it's great for the price, will be perfect for the campervan with aeropress instead of bringing pre-ground.

It's got an adjustable grind level and ceramic burrs so should produce good coffee. It's also setup so you can make your coffee using just this if you're caught short, for £15 I think it's amazing.

No, more expensive doesn't always means better, but from own experience, with coffee gear it usually does. Maybe these are fine. But when I first got in to coffee I baulked at some of the prices being asked. So I bought the £15 hand grinder and the £45 electric burr grinder. And then I replaced them not long after. Still not crazy prices (like I said, about 35 for the hand grinder, which also lives in my van, and I think about £120 or so for the electric one I use at home). Even with that relatively small increase the difference was huge. And all I'd done was create landfill with my earlier "bargains". Although I did actually give my old electric one to my boss when I found out he was using a nutribullet. Anything's better than that.

Reading that all back I can't decide if it's patronising or not. It's not meant to be. And the original comment was just my honest opinion based on previous experience.

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

( @philipsteak re. the Lidl coffee maker.)

It says it's adjustable which, given the form-factor, means it's going to be a burr grinder.  So for making filter coffee, the output is going to be more than good enough, although it might be slow and fiddly to use.  Your hand grinder (Hario?) will no doubt be better, but if you're not making Espresso that's not a big deal. I agree that there's probably something wrong with it at that price, but you can never tell with Lidl - occasionally they have some really good stuff at silly prices.  (My opinion may be different in a couple of hours after my trial run of the poncho I bought today...)

Not Hario, no, but same ball park I guess. I wouldn't use either of my grinders for espresso tbh. I've never bothered with espresso at home anyway. That way madness lies.

Thankfully got access to a commercial grade grinder and espresso machine at work so that scratches that itch.

2 minutes ago, prog seller said:

Swear by this stuff, but be warned that it will ruin a white t-shirt!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andy Glasto Virgen said:

Found this lightweight chair in Aldi, £14 tried it on sand and it doesn't sink 👍

Screenshot_20230516_162124_Chrome.jpg

Adventuridge stuff is genuinely decent good value camping gear.

Those chairs are all made in the same factory and rebranded. 

About £10-15 cheaper than the ones on amazon them. 

16 minutes ago, prog seller said:

This stuff is good but I prefer piz buin which is nicer to put on as a cream instead of oil. 

As a ginger, both work great though 👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, prog seller said:

Already got mine on offer in boots and it was a fair bit more expensive than that . Good find