Vodafone

Crazyfool01

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

That's even worse if they do that, sorry! 

I don’t think so - companies sponsor all sorts events and give their employees a chance to win tickets to them. Similar thing happens with the NFL and Wimbledon. Highly likely EE did it for their teams too, same goes Oxfam and Greenpeace, or any other partner they have.

There will be competitions for non employees via Very Me, but wouldn’t have a separate sale.

Edited by Jack The Stripper

17 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Can't wait for all the people saying "won't be much difference then"  to see what it was like for people who weren't on EE

Last 2 festivals, I'd get about two hours of signal at 8-10am & then nothing for the next 22 hours

In before the "Was the signal terrible this year?" thread on 26th June

Last year was the worst phone signal I have ever had at a festival, could barely send or receive SMS never mind What'sApp etc.

I don't go to festivals to sit on the internet but it made it virtually impossible to make plans to meet up with people when even a basic call or message didn't work.

1 hour ago, paulshane said:

Though if they rate limit non voda sims, that'll be a bit shit.

Haven't been since the days of Orange (remember them?) but don't sims that are not able to normally connect to the sponsors network just go with the Pilton standard mobile network (so it cannot cope?). Or does this deal always allow all networks to connect to the festival backbone? (I assume this is likely as they need to allow locals to still use their mobiles during the festival.) 

2 minutes ago, coma girl said:

I don't go to festivals to sit on the internet but it made it virtually impossible to make plans to meet up with people when even a basic call or message didn't work.

Meet you to the right of the sound desk 15 minutes before the band starts

Always worked in the past

6 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

I don’t think so - companies sponsor all sorts events and give their employees a chance to win tickets to them. Similar thing happens with the NFL and Wimbledon. Highly likely EE did it for their teams too, same goes Oxfam and Greenpeace, or any other partner they have.

There will be competitions for non employees via Very Me, but wouldn’t have a separate sale.

We didn’t have anything like this at EE. Just the opportunity to enter a ballot to work at the festival.

19 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, I've never bothered. There's nothing on it that I don't have access to. Clashfinder and a map (in my head) are both readily available beforehand. Plus it saps battery. Just can't see the point in it myself.

Having a map and quick access to main stage times could be handy for tired eyes. Battery use was tiny. 

For what it's worth, in terms of MVNOs:

VOXI are a sub-brand of Vodafone themselves, and so are providing the exact same signal, frequencies, etc as going direct.

TalkMobile are fully owned by Vodafone, and operated from their HQ as the budget offering and so may be a step ahead of others.

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Having a map and quick access to main stage times could be handy for tired eyes. Battery use was tiny. 

25 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, I've never bothered. There's nothing on it that I don't have access to. Clashfinder and a map (in my head) are both readily available beforehand. Plus it saps battery. Just can't see the point in it myself.

The push notifications were quite helpful. 

Firstly for reminding you what i'd planned (and then deciding to bin it off).

But also for getting notifications about the site, we were possibly going to wonder over to Williams green when the notification came through to avoid the area.  

7 minutes ago, incident said:

VOXI are a sub-brand of Vodafone themselves, and so are providing the exact same signal, frequencies, etc as going direct.

TalkMobile are fully owned by Vodafone, and operated from their HQ as the budget offering and so may be a step ahead of others.

I'm looking at Talkmobile as they offer EU roaming.  1 month with 100gb for £12.95 and £20 cashback through topcashback.co.uk 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Obviously a business decision. Which network pays the most gets the gig. Or it could be that EE have decided they have taken the association with the festival as far as they want to. 

Think they've been the offical partner for a good 10 years or so...wasn't it 'Orange' before that? Or are they now EE? I fail to keep up!

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Think they've been the offical partner for a good 10 years or so...wasn't it 'Orange' before that? Or are they now EE? I fail to keep up!

EE are the result of a merger of between Orange and T-Mobile.

Between EE and Orange, the relationship went back about 25 years I think

26 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The push notifications were quite helpful. 

Firstly for reminding you what i'd planned (and then deciding to bin it off).

But also for getting notifications about the site, we were possibly going to wonder over to Williams green when the notification came through to avoid the area.  

Ooh never even noticed that, maybe my VF coverage was insufficient at the time 😉

I did always get better coverage later to upload some photos (sorry @Skip997  😊

37 minutes ago, incident said:

Not so... 

"Sign up for one of the MVNOs, and you’ll get exactly the same coverage as you would from the parent network. And for that reason it makes sense to know which MVNO uses which network." 

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/mvnos-a-guide-to-coverage-and-pros-and-cons-of-virtual-networks/

Just now, clarkete said:

Not so... 

"Sign up for one of the MVNOs, and you’ll get exactly the same coverage as you would from the parent network. And for that reason it makes sense to know which MVNO uses which network." 

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/mvnos-a-guide-to-coverage-and-pros-and-cons-of-virtual-networks/

Same coverage but perhaps not the same performance, as each MNVO will have it's own RADIUS server to manage connections as well as it's own breakout to servers, Some MNVO can't offer 5g.

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Not so... 

That statement is incomplete at best, and therefore can be treated as misleading.

There's two potential issues MVNOs can have - sometimes they don't have access to the full range of services or bands, and sometimes they may be rate limited or given lower priority than customers using the network directly.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

That statement is incomplete at best, and therefore can be treated as misleading.

There's two potential issues MVNOs can have - sometimes they don't have access to the full range of services or bands, and sometimes they may be rate limited or given lower priority than customers using the network directly.

Yes, usually the differences are related to some providers not having 5g, or roaming or other things - but those are easy to check before signing up. 

I've seen quite a few discussions about MVNOs and never seen speed being the issue. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/piggybacking/

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, incident said:

Lebara as well, has EU roaming. great for lower data bundles i pay £6 for 15gb. they do 99p for first 6 months deals so could literally pay £6 now and get 6 months of data then just cancel. no contract (make sure to check though as it may vary 🙂 )