Self Confirms 2023

Gnomicide

55 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Yeah I don't mind this - it feels like what the Pyramid is there for. Put a smaller band on the Pyramid early in the day and you end up with a half-bothered crowd all waiting around for someone later. If you really like that smaller band, you'll have a better time watching them if they've got the slot on a smaller stage that could arguably also have been Texas's.

I actually agree with this, you won me over. I was of the opinion that Texas on the Pyramid was naff, but then I thought about Wolf Alice last year. A band I absolutely love, but a 4pm Pyramid slot to a less than enthusiastic crowd would have been 100x better if they were subbing (or even headlining) The Other/Park - I'm happy with bland afternoons on the Pyramid, as I'll simply *not go*, and spend my day exploring elsewhere

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Yeah it’ll be fine

Perfect for the Glastonbury festival of (not very) contemporary performing arts 😂

mind you, you could stick blondie firmly in that category and i would go see them 😂

Although I much prefer Blondie as a band, at least Sharleen Spiteri can still sing... Debbie Harry now sounds like a cat being strangled and then force fed bleach. 

I think you've also got to think about what the average person who is just watching a bit of the coverage on BBC might be into, rather than just your Glasto goer (they do appease to them as well) and surprisingly Texas had quite a bit of fame over in Europe and it is an international festival. Not saying they deserve the position but some of the Pyramid Stage selections is more than just selected on the basis of current deserved acclaim.

1 minute ago, Joey01 said:

I think you've also got to think about what the average person who is just watching a bit of the coverage on BBC might be into, rather than just your Glasto goer (they do appease to them as well).

Nothing about the festival should be done in order to please or appease people watching the TV at home.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Boomtowner said:

I'm the other way round, it'll be my 15th visit to the farm, and I've never seen Texas play there. They've a decent catalogue and a couple I really like. It'll be new for me and I like that.

You can keep Blondie, they do nothing but disappoint.

Having looked at previous line ups, it might be that this is the first time they've played since 1999 (someone might be able to confirm this) when they played third up on the Pyramid Stage, so that alone might be why they get a spot on the Pyramid Stage again.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Nothing about the festival should be done in order to please or appease people watching the TV at home.

The old Glastonbury wouldn't have been bothered by this, but certainly the modern day Glastonbury uses it as a bit of a marketing tool for people to think that they are missing out 'and have to go next year' and cause even more of a buzz and exclusivity to the festival when more people try the following year and fail to get tickets.

Just now, Joey01 said:

Having looked at previous line ups, it might be that this is the first time they've played since 1999 (someone might be able to confirm this) when they played third up on the Pyramid Stage, so that alone might be why they get a spot on the Pyramid Stage again.

They were scheduled for the Acoustic Stage a few years ago, I think either 2017 or 2019, but pulled out on the day they were due to play (albeit after they'd managed to do a song for the BBC coverage).

47 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

The old Glastonbury wouldn't have been bothered by this, but certainly the modern day Glastonbury uses it as a bit of a marketing tool for people to think that they are missing out 'and have to go next year' and cause even more of a buzz and exclusivity to the festival when more people try the following year and fail to get tickets.

Plus the festival happily takes the BBC’s money and uses it to fund the festival and make their charitable donations