Planning application to secure a permanent full planning permission for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

So festival costs over £50million to put on.    138,800 tickets on general sale at £280 a go nets about £38.5million.   Means a minimum of £11.5 million (and probably a lot more) coming from other sources such as food/market pitches, profit on beer sales, merchandise etc.   I would have guessed ticket sales made up a higher percentage of income.

23 minutes ago, Jon F said:

So festival costs over £50million to put on.    138,800 tickets on general sale at £280 a go nets about £38.5million.   Means a minimum of £11.5 million (and probably a lot more) coming from other sources such as food/market pitches, profit on beer sales, merchandise etc.   I would have guessed ticket sales made up a higher percentage of income.

Except they are £340 for next year

58 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

What's the reasoning/justification for staff, crew and artists increasing % much more than the public? One of the rumours last year was they sold some of these tickets to the public - hence the thought there was a lot more than 3,000 punters on site. Is this a way around increasing numbers?

They changed the way they do staff ticketing I read somewhere - e.g. if i played friday, you did saturday and someone else did sunday it would be 1 ticket, now its counted as 3. Simplified it a lot but it was something along those lines.

19 minutes ago, Jon F said:

Huge amount of money comes from pitches, beer etc. merch and beer cost nothing to make and are sold for like a 300%+ margin

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

What's the reasoning/justification for staff, crew and artists increasing % much more than the public? One of the rumours last year was they sold some of these tickets to the public - hence the thought there was a lot more than 3,000 punters on site. Is this a way around increasing numbers?

It ensure they have enough capacity to supply staff for new safety regulations / obligations that may be added.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140306d.shtml

Festival organisers will also expand the staff ticket numbers this year depending on the need. One of the organisers Robert Richards spoke briefly to eFestivals to explain that they were primarily future proofing the licence for the next decade, saying, "With all the new regulations and things, the pressure is on us to have enough staff to pacify everybody. We are doing this to make sure we don't have to keep going back to the Council asking for additional numbers. We need to make sure that we can if need be, increase the staff capacity to meet the Festival's needs."

There are a whole variety of new regulations, and increasing demands put on the Festival. For instance these include the staffing of traffic marshalls to guide vehicles around the site, which the Festival didn't need five years ago. That's just one example of the extra people needed to meet improving standards and comply with new laws and regulations.

Edited by Dukeicon
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

its information like this which keeps me on the Forum! 

I don't care who the headliner is I want to to know logistical details.

Can anyone share toilet numbers!

That will really set me off!

Love it! 

Well there are some nice pictures of the giant poop tanks in one of these! The Big Long Drop Daddies!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

its information like this which keeps me on the Forum! 

I don't care who the headliner is I want to to know logistical details.

Can anyone share toilet numbers!

That will really set me off!

Love it! 

It said they have 24 poop lorries working at all times to get waste to up to 12 nearby waste facilities i think (numbers might be off, can't quite remember)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jon F said:

Fag packet maths, but I think I read trader pitches range from a few thousand up to about £20k dependant on pitch, there must be around 500 or so? (Pure random guess, I’m sure someone can work it out from the trader map) so at an average pitch price of £10k that’s £5m already. Then you’ve got the BBC, they must pay a million or so, the Guardian, maybe not as much but probably a fair chunk, then a few other more minor sponsors that will all add up. Bar sales must be a good few million as well.  

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

Fag packet maths, but I think I read trader pitches range from a few thousand up to about £20k dependant on pitch, there must be around 500 or so? (Pure random guess, I’m sure someone can work it out from the trader map) so at an average pitch price of £10k that’s £5m already. Then you’ve got the BBC, they must pay a million or so, the Guardian, maybe not as much but probably a fair chunk, then a few other more minor sponsors that will all add up. Bar sales must be a good few million as well.  

1391 traders arrived Sunday-Monday.

There's no break down of what they are though, I assume healing fields and green crafts etc would be in those numbers. Who I expect probably pay, but nowhere near as much as say a food stall by the pyramid.

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

1391 traders arrived Sunday-Monday.

There's no break down of what they are though, I assume healing fields and green crafts etc would be in those numbers. Who I expect probably pay, but nowhere near as much as say a food stall by the pyramid.

To the best of my knowledge Green crafts are included in trader numbers. Also as far as I know they pay a percentage of their takings.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:56 PM, Dukeicon said:

A full planning application in relation to the festival has been submitted, which will replace the many Temporary Planning Permissions which run out after the 2024 festival.

The permission seeks not just the festival itself but the Pilton Party, Worthy View (for fallow years), plus the Pyramid Stage and Recycling Centre.

Lots of nice maps and drawings to look at 🤓

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RN5B5SKPKE700

Planning Ref: 2022/2458/FUL

I absolutely love this stuff 🤗 . The transport plan is interesting but top marks must go to the Biodiversity Enhancement Plan - hedgerow planting, pond building……., and the Flood Risk Assessment and Drainage  Strategy - mainly for the info on the permanent underground cables for GFL and the BBC. Fascinating. This is what this forum is for! Fuck the headliners 😜

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

I absolutely love this stuff 🤗 . The transport plan is interesting but top marks must go to the Biodiversity Enhancement Plan - hedgerow planting, pond building……., and the Flood Risk Assessment and Drainage  Strategy - mainly for the info on the permanent underground cables for GFL and the BBC. Fascinating. This is what this forum is for! Fuck the headliners 😜

It seems obvious but I hadn't considered the BBC had permanent fibre cables though the site!

34 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It seems obvious but I hadn't considered the BBC had permanent fibre cables though the site!

It is extraordinary when you think about it. The infrastructure that exists for the festival that either lies dormant or most fabulously is used by the farm most of the year. This is why GF will never ever be replicated, in any western country at least, as the cost and arseache to build something this big for 5 days of fun for 200k people makes it prohibitive to start from scratch. This has been built over 40 years, incrementally. It is absolutely astonishing. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Totally agree, especially the transport plan. The maps and  plans show such detail, didn’t know so many of the names of sites, walkways etc. also so nice to see the positive comments from some of the villagers. 

4 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

This is why GF will never ever be replicated, in any western country at least, as the cost and arseache to build something this big for 5 days of fun for 200k people makes it prohibitive to start from scratch. This has been built over 40 years, incrementally. It is absolutely astonishing. 

One million people-fun-days!! Not bad.... 😁

20 hours ago, Jon F said:

Means a minimum of £11.5 million (and probably a lot more) coming from other sources such as food/market pitches, profit on beer sales, merchandise etc.  

Alcohol sales as already said are a massive source of income for the festival. 

That is why anyone caught (well, certainly crew) selling alcohol faces an life ban. 

I've heard of it happening several times although not for a few years now, probably because the message has got through. About ten years ago one Greenfields worker I know got hit with it. All they had was a 20l plastic barrel of cider with a little sign up advertising it.