2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

21 hours ago, benali said:

Three Spoons who are on the bottom line of the line up picture is a 3 piece band with Naima Bock, the singer from Gently Tender and someone else.

Screenshot_2023-02-13-22-29-02-58_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

They played GM last year, last up on the Sunday in the record store tent. I didn't see their set though and spent ages afterwards trying to find out who they were!

Angel Olsen aside I've been a bit disappointed with the 'bigger' names announced. There definitely appears to be a level missing from previous years which I hope will be added to in future announcements.

Anyway stuff I didn't know from the playlist so far I've enjoyed PVA, Yot Club, Overmono, Joan Shelley, BIG/BRAVE and High Vis. I'm sure there's a load more to discover.  

On 2/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, Chip Batch said:

Angel Olsen aside I've been a bit disappointed with the 'bigger' names announced. There definitely appears to be a level missing from previous years which I hope will be added to in future announcements.

Anyway stuff I didn't know from the playlist so far I've enjoyed PVA, Yot Club, Overmono, Joan Shelley, BIG/BRAVE and High Vis. I'm sure there's a load more to discover.  

Yeah. In my opinion, a good festival is a mix of older established acts, well-curated nobodies and a majority of good quality, fairly current bands that have proved themselves. This lineup is a mixture of has-beens and nobodies. I'm sure there are some gems among the nobodies, but there is a huge hole in the middle, and the established acts feel like barrel scraping to me. 

I've wanted to go to EOTR for years but previously been unable to. As the line up is consistently really good I've bought tickets for my family to attend before the line up announcement. I'm really disappointed so far with the line up - nowhere near previous years in my opinion. The line up is the "first wave" of announcements. Is there usually much additional music announced after this first wave?? Really hoping this is the case?

5 hours ago, Mungochatney said:

I've wanted to go to EOTR for years but previously been unable to. As the line up is consistently really good I've bought tickets for my family to attend before the line up announcement. I'm really disappointed so far with the line up - nowhere near previous years in my opinion. The line up is the "first wave" of announcements. Is there usually much additional music announced after this first wave?? Really hoping this is the case?

30 odd acts still to be announced if the number for this year is the same as last year, and no reason to think it won't be.

Plus there's about 8 secret late night tipi sets to add, although some of those could be artists already playing.

5 hours ago, Mungochatney said:

I have been a regular for many years and for me the line up this year is so underwhelming. Usually there are any number of acts I am really excited by , (with a resultant fear of clashes)  , but I can’t get fired up by many so far . So , fingers crossed for some excellent additions . To be fair , over the years there are always unexpected acts that I stumble across that are amazing .. that is part of the fun ! 

This year should be my first year attending End of the Road through volunteering. Whilst I don't think the lineup hits as hard as last years, there are still some great names I'm hoping to see. Overmono, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Angel Olsen, Aroof Aftab and Bar Italia being some notable stand-outs for me.

Overall I'm looking forward to seeing what the festival is about.

• Upvote 1

Also worth noting that booking agents will often let festival organisers know what's likely to be happening in coming months, giving them advance listenings of albums, and some knowledge of who they think is set for bigger things this year. At the time of last year's announcements I thought Green Man had outdone EotR - but it ended up not altogether working out like that. In the event, maybe my top three albums of the year were Black Midi, Hurray for the Riff Raff and Jockstrap. And they were all at EotR. And there have been quite a few acts over the years who have already been bigger by the time the festival arrived than they were at the time of the announcement (which is easy to forget when you're looking back at earlier line-ups).

54 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

A few people complaining about the line up on facebook on the most recent post from today 

I mean, there's still people coming onto this topic to complain about it nearly three weeks after the announcement was made. I know today they featured Future Islands, and I do find it fascinating that they're the one name people are zeroing in on when they've played larger sold out venues than virtually everyone else and have at least one big UK booking around the same time (I know it's not as easy to convey the lack of sub/second level depth that we've been talking about)

2 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I mean, there's still people coming onto this topic to complain about it nearly three weeks after the announcement was made. I know today they featured Future Islands, and I do find it fascinating that they're the one name people are zeroing in on when they've played larger sold out venues than virtually everyone else and have at least one big UK booking around the same time (I know it's not as easy to convey the lack of sub/second level depth that we've been talking about)

Just saying that's all. There's certainly a lot of negativity about this year. 

Lets see how Green Man looks 

16 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Just saying that's all. There's certainly a lot of negativity about this year. 

Lets see how Green Man looks 

Ironic thing is tickets didn't even go up by as much as many other similar sized festivals year on year. (Perhaps that's half the problem)

Mind you, when 2019 was announced there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of upset about Metronomy headlining, and they've gone on to headline even bigger festivals.

14 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Ironic thing is tickets didn't even go up by as much as many other similar sized festivals year on year. (Perhaps that's half the problem)

Mind you, when 2019 was announced there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of upset about Metronomy headlining, and they've gone on to headline even bigger festivals.

No idea about that.  What's the price of a green man ticket now