2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

The amount of moaning in here. State of the place. If you've never been before, the festival owes you nowt. FWIW, that's as good a line up as you should expect from a fest of EOTR size these days. 

If you are a fan of the festival then I find the moaning weirder. There's a festival in Oz called Meredith where there is ONE stage, playing all genres from metal to triphop to folk, one after the other and at best, you'll have properly heard of three acts before you go. It's two and a half days long, costs the same and sells out instantly with massive numbers of returners. It's about the vibe and trusting that the organisers have LISTENED to the bands. They will have listened more than you, I 100% guarantee. Not knowing a band doesn't mean they're shit. Headliners are decent, I know about 7 or 8 other acts and am very excited about going. Only thing that's stopping me is if it gets proven my 5 year old can't cope at Bearded Theory. 

Stop moaning, get listening or even better still, just trust the process and discover stuff when you're there with a cold refreshing beverage, surrounded by chill people and beautiful trees. 

Luckily you don't get to decide what other people think, and this is a very weak lineup for a festival of this size and pedigree. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dogleg said:

Luckily you don't get to decide what other people think, and this is a very weak lineup for a festival of this size and pedigree. 

Luckily? Pipe down. 

Moan moan moan. Yawn yawn yawn. Open your mind. Listen to stuff. Crying before you're hurt. Festival will be ace. I can't help you if your barometer of good is "I've got all their albums and they have a million streams". 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Superscally said:

Luckily? Pipe down. 

Moan moan moan. Yawn yawn yawn. Open your mind. Listen to stuff. Crying before you're hurt. Festival will be ace. I can't help you if your barometer of good is "I've got all their albums and they have a million streams". 

Totally agree. Too many people in here stating their opinion as if it were fact, and I suspect that most of the moaners haven't even bothered to listen to the majority of the line-up (which in my opinion is one of the most exciting, unique and diverse that Simon has ever booked).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ljsawyer said:

Totally agree. Too many people in here stating their opinion as if it were fact, and I suspect that most of the moaners haven't even bothered to listen to the majority of the line-up (which in my opinion is one of the most exciting, unique and diverse that Simon has ever booked).

My initial reaction:

Ooo. Like those headliners. Don't know a huge deal. 

Second thought:

Will be fun finding a lot of new stuff.

Never a disappointment, more an opportunity.

10 hours ago, Superscally said:

The amount of moaning in here. State of the place. If you've never been before, the festival owes you nowt. FWIW, that's as good a line up as you should expect from a fest of EOTR size these days. 

If you are a fan of the festival then I find the moaning weirder. There's a festival in Oz called Meredith where there is ONE stage, playing all genres from metal to triphop to folk, one after the other and at best, you'll have properly heard of three acts before you go. It's two and a half days long, costs the same and sells out instantly with massive numbers of returners. It's about the vibe and trusting that the organisers have LISTENED to the bands. They will have listened more than you, I 100% guarantee. Not knowing a band doesn't mean they're shit. Headliners are decent, I know about 7 or 8 other acts and am very excited about going. Only thing that's stopping me is if it gets proven my 5 year old can't cope at Bearded Theory. 

Stop moaning, get listening or even better still, just trust the process and discover stuff when you're there with a cold refreshing beverage, surrounded by chill people and beautiful trees. 

Having an opinion isn't moaning 

11 hours ago, Superscally said:

"If you've never been before, the festival owes you nowt".

I've been eleven times. All the festival owes me, and everybody else, is £200-odd worth of entertainment. I'm clearly not the only one who feels I'm not getting it at the moment. And yes, I have checked out every act I didn't already know since the announcement. I have everything crossed for the next one, which could change everything. But please don't confuse stating an opinion with moaning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

"If you've never been before, the festival owes you nowt".

I've been eleven times. All the festival owes me, and everybody else, is £200-odd worth of entertainment. I'm clearly not the only one who feels I'm not getting it at the moment. And yes, I have checked out every act I didn't already know since the announcement. I have everything crossed for the next one, which could change everything. But please don't confuse stating an opinion with moaning.

I don't believe you. 

Also you're getting that amount of entertainment, as well as a campsite and more. If you're so focused on the lineup, wait till it's released before you get a ticket.

12 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Moaning is though. 

You are moaning about people moaning 😂

Because the line up is great for you doesn't mean that's the case for everyone who goes along 

The most interesting artists for me are Big Brave , Divide And Dissolve but I could understand how some people would not like or be interested in them. It doesn't make any difference to me 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I don't believe you. 

Also you're getting that amount of entertainment, as well as a campsite and more. If you're so focused on the lineup, wait till it's released before you get a ticket.

I don't know what you don't believe, but I don't really care. Your recent post on the day split thread tells me all I need to know about how much you value opinions that don't align with yours, or anyone else's right to express them.

7 hours ago, wolfamongwolves said:

You are moaning about people moaning 😂

Because the line up is great for you doesn't mean that's the case for everyone who goes along 

The most interesting artists for me are Big Brave , Divide And Dissolve but I could understand how some people would not like or be interested in them. It doesn't make any difference to me 

It's not great for me at all. I just don't see the point in being negative about it when it may turn out to be a corker. If you look back at past festival lineups that you've been to, it always looks a lot better at the time when artists have blown up. 

Fair point about the moaning about moaning though 🤣 I'll justify that as the only occasion where it's justified 😘

7 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

I don't know what you don't believe, but I don't really care. Your recent post on the day split thread tells me all I need to know about how much you value opinions that don't align with yours, or anyone else's right to express them.

There is no way you've properly checked out the bands that you've not heard of. Simply not been time. That's what I don't believe. You may think you have, but unless you've been doing nothing else for the last few days there's just not been enough time to do them justice. A one off listen isn't checking them out. If you genuinely have,  then I apologise and applaud your diligence. 

As regards that recent post, Enkidu called FI dossers, when they are and have been one of the hardest working bands out there. I'm allowed to challenge things that are factually incorrect (or using the word incorrectly). 

FI are also the band that are more likely to sell out big venues and have sings that are known by the average guy on the street, so again, I'll challenge bollocks and likely be proven right. 

The third point was me emphatically agreeing with someone expressing positive vibes. 

🤷‍♂️

On 2/4/2023 at 8:52 PM, Dogleg said:

Oh man. That would be unreal. One of the greatest live bands of all time. Definitely too much for the EOTR crowd though. I was delighted when they books PigsX7 and Part Chimp last year but nothing much like that on the lineup this year so far as I can see. People must have complained that they could have squeezed in some forgettable singer-songwriters instead. 

Swans are incredible. 

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

There is no way you've properly checked out the bands that you've not heard of. Simply not been time. That's what I don't believe. You may think you have, but unless you've been doing nothing else for the last few days there's just not been enough time to do them justice. A one off listen isn't checking them out. If you genuinely have,  then I apologise and applaud your diligence. 

As regards that recent post, Enkidu called FI dossers, when they are and have been one of the hardest working bands out there. I'm allowed to challenge things that are factually incorrect (or using the word incorrectly). 

FI are also the band that are more likely to sell out big venues and have sings that are known by the average guy on the street, so again, I'll challenge bollocks and likely be proven right. 

The third point was me emphatically agreeing with someone expressing positive vibes. 

🤷‍♂️

Needless to say, I had the last laugh

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Where most people could surely agree is this lineup is “one for the purists” as it currently stands.

the headliners are pretty weak but its fairly certain you’ll find some interesting and surprising stuff given time to get acquainted with the lineup.

When it comes down to it i expect it will be much like last year with it being a sell out but resale tickets being very easy to come by and well under face value the week of the event

I would have waited to buy tickets until the lineup came out but the wife got them in the night before the lineup release. We would still be going but i’d be holding out for a cheaper resale ticket as i cant see people clamouring to be a part of this lineup if they’re not already committed.

its not going to be a bad time, not by any stretch, but its definitely one for the purists and long standing regulars. Its not one thats going to convince people on the fence to part with cash just yet. But when push comes to shove it will still be a busy, popular and fun event.

Edited by Memory Man

10 minutes ago, paulwa said:

Yeah Yeah Yeah's European tour convenienly ends on 29th August. But then surely they would have been announced as a Woods headliner.

https://pitchfork.com/news/yeah-yeah-yeahs-announce-us-and-european-tour-dates/

Seems like a disappointing missed opportunity then, though would assume they're nailed for Green Man at this point.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:35 PM, Superscally said:

I don't believe you. 

You are literally the most moaning person on here. You just choose to moan about other people having different opinions to you. 

10 hours ago, Dogleg said:

You are literally the most moaning person on here. You just choose to moan about other people having different opinions to you. 

Nah. Just can't be arsed with your negative vibes over a hugely positive festival. Your deflection ain't working. If you don't like it, don't go. Plenty of people will have your ticket.