Stone Circle

marathonsteve

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Micro venues? I wouldn't add those, but the days when it had fire eater walking around a load of drummers were great.  If they wanted to actually do something to make it more exciting then sending some performers to mingle with the crowd might help.

Yeah something like that. Its usually just the guy with the rave trolley. 

4 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I think it’s important that the festival provides break out spaces with no entertainment. Flagtopia, stone circle, car parks etc.

There is 100% entertainment on 95% of the site and people who need a break need a place to take a break. 

Agree but they need to spread out the crowd a bit. Few huge crushes last year and this was standard after any headliner on the WH, Other, Avalon et al with people going to the SE corner.

15 mins not moving and a bit of a squash. 

uKyWS8SXhJM6NvDVGCEzyDVoFm-kw6fB8U-SUlb6rmJXougt5mhHIsdbqaEHV6ZNrDHgzZLmeurSQOA6c_qRVB2-_-WBbW1lt_zMSmJvgSPjdAa3QtTQgLu1gIqbPoE9TZ94_m1lpfdrht8GyVbeoXaX75fw6BOa2M_DLswXUci0lwytNxyDZmUKX9-jm15PxqXhlCEzZ_9v7ZGHnrjBCCpuiwYN-HNFWTAuYzzT2JAISW25xfaM5_NJtS05o5XxtQh2EFa6gz6Ti1LJhKrMh0tjEUs_0fAxBCjTDEgYtjLWZmNgWin3zBgHRSPZOhbh2a7mkfvFvXwuB40suAS-5keR5plXO1M5Dzx0ErusXhi88Aw1qebv1DoKdt9O7GTun6mWoi-jdpriKFAUq6aRzR2A28Tcj1KzddkoI8KqcLQ1OAamTqVy_UpF5zSRTRyMQwvFM1wJDVjqKqHv241Hbb7wmXjN-wkcld88t9AWqayIC5LOyDC-yU3KFCQeH10zWiHjuMrJpxfHvuoUA8HaHtsJLkBqsb-P1pUAxgd6Rp8y8CevxBfuwSgfSS_o-3f75EXFFQFQMNyclmt5UsyTGdYg6oiM8B19aa9_O7jzc1nt2VXxgZcuNWYh7_uo-G_lq2td354zjcEijDkqSl5VXANPAphW4QO_ka3O8vGTj7trMlW9iJhfTiLQVjQSpCPiWJAuYLQM_atGTTGo6jFiXAJd4VT0bgtk7fZ9CEz-IpAGSkKUL81FLsx5Kx2-6snpnvrxlINqR69ZRvBn8fas381vtDGkT_uwyToB93miNOdzPAmMG0qYTOVx01cVLQRfIgXWKg9V11ihSEprSQmM-A-YAaYumqlyRFNI168_IItghzWtSsMmt_cLSyh8nr_RpO1Ilin7HRUwqGsWpOC6MSs1StXZAOFcca5il5C403bWPA6irvgEklJqJkfcwlpegsEMgQLO5TcyQrExJd889WKbGRxhv7XZnPac-k7FctCj1Q0GiogcSx47lA=w694-h925-no?authuser=0

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Feed the hungry, house the homeless, nurse the unhealthy etc

Here, there, and everywhere.

Vs

Capitalism and our own personal greeds.

The 'system' is not fit for purpose. 

Nope......... Its a pearl jam thing old son.. Lol 

On 1/3/2023 at 2:24 PM, The Nal said:

The field? Loads they could do. Add a few micro venues at the bottom/up the back, get rid of that god awful "secret" piano bar, couple of camp fires. Its a big area with not a lot going on. 

I like that there is a big area away from stages that is for people to do as they wish in - space to juggle fire, whatever. If there was loads more going on in the field it would just be like everywhere else. Obv. no commercial stuff in the field has been a longstanding thing for obvious reasons (leaving the nitro maniacs etc. to one side.)  The Sacred Space always seemed a special part of the festival. The Stone Circle is usually the first place I go after I have dropped my bags at camp.

Don't get me started on Banksy's Turdis display. 

On 1/3/2023 at 11:07 AM, The Nal said:

Was a great spot for a while. Lovely views of the site, random people chatting, good place to stock up, some unique people hanging around up there, spontaneous cheers etc.

Been swallowed up by the SE Corner though when it started in ernest in 09. Both the Stoe Circle and the SE Corner are jaded shitholes now in need of change.

Depressing to hear - Coming back for first time since 2011 this year. Will be my 11th time but clearly it is going to be very different.

On 1/3/2023 at 11:50 AM, stuie said:

There's some miserable moods in here isn't there.

Not sure how you want to change the stone circle?  

nos and litter both noticeably better in 2019 and last year.  

Upvoted @stuie just to counter the entirely pointless and unnecessarily negative downvote response to your hardly pejorative post! 

It can be a really magical place, often when quiet but also when full before dawn. It's been the venue for people to pick up refreshments for a LONG time, make of that what you will. It's an incredible place for people watching. 

I've done a couple of daybreaks there as I'm usually dancing somewhere at 0430h, but am likely to do my first ever Wednesday night-Thursday morning one this year as it will be the first time for me that the Solstice has arrived *during* the actual festival. 

Should be a lovely Glastonbury memory for me. 

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

3 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Depressing to hear - Coming back for first time since 2011 this year. Will be my 11th time but clearly it is going to be very different.

The Nal does his best...

Will be amazing to hear your thoughts on how the festival in general has changed from 2011 to 2023!  The specific field of stone circle hasn't actually changed that much - just less of a go-to place.  A lot of that is because there are so many other late night places that have developed, you'll have seen the start of that in 2011.  Sacred grounds is just one field on that hill, the next field along now has the strummerville area, and the next field along after that, the area above the park, now has a hill-top bar and a micro-venue [field after that, but less of a direct walk, is where Arcadia has been moved].  Even if it's been left behind a bit it's nice to have a space that hasn't actually been overhauled

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Upvoted @stuie just to counter the entirely pointless and unnecessarily negative downvote response to your hardly pejorative post! 

It can be a really magical place, often when quiet but also when full before dawn. It's been the venue for people to pick up refreshments for a LONG time, make of that what you will. It's an incredible place for people watching. 

I've done a couple of daybreaks there as I'm usually dancing somewhere at 0430h, but am likely to do my first ever Wednesday night-Thursday morning one this year as it will be the first time for me that the Solstice has arrived *during* the actual festival. 

Should be a lovely Glastonbury memory for me. 

Ben

didn't realise this - cheers! see you there most likely 🙂 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, p.pete said:

The Nal does his best...

Will be amazing to hear your thoughts on how the festival in general has changed from 2011 to 2023!  The specific field of stone circle hasn't actually changed that much - just less of a go-to place.  A lot of that is because there are so many other late night places that have developed, you'll have seen the start of that in 2011.  Sacred grounds is just one field on that hill, the next field along now has the strummerville area, and the next field along after that, the area above the park, now has a hill-top bar and a micro-venue [field after that, but less of a direct walk, is where Arcadia has been moved].  Even if it's been left behind a bit it's nice to have a space that hasn't actually been overhauled

If it's much like the change between the 90s and 2010s 'A lot more Londoners wired on Cocaine all weekend and a lot less trippers' will be a part of it. Hard to beat 2004 for the latter though, I guess!

Can't even remember where on site Arcadia was last time I was there but had a few great nights there. SE corner had started (though refer to quote above) maybe it was down that way then.

But yes will share my thoughts afterwards  hopefully not mid-comedown.

Edited by Breeze

Wow... Our friends, who met and got engaged on that hill, went on and had a Glastonbury themed wedding.

Their 'glasto' and drama group friends performed a surprise flash mob to this song after the ceremony, including the bride's Dad who sung it amazingly. It was an beautiful and moving moment. 

Now I know where that idea came from!!! Incredible, thanks. 🙂 

EDIT: Nm just spoken to them, and this is nothing but a coincidence... Mad hey? 

Edited by Alvoram

48 minutes ago, Breeze said:

If it's much like the change between the 90s and 2010s 'A lot more Londoners wired on Cocaine all weekend and a lot less trippers' will be a part of it. Hard to beat 2004 for the latter though, I guess!

Yep, 2004 was the last G where fresh magic mushrooms were still legal. 

Stalls selling them and people with cinema usherette style trays wandering around selling them. 

There was a noticibly happier vibe about the place IMO. So many huge grins, giggles and people almost collapsing in fits of laughter. Particularly evident on the Sunday night when many shroom vendors gave their stock away to anyone who fancied some as the fresh produce wouldn't keep until the next event. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Stalls selling them and people with cinema usherette style trays wandering around selling them. 

There was a noticibly happier vibe about the place IMO. So many huge grins, giggles and people almost collapsing in fits of laughter. Particularly evident on the Sunday night when many shrooms vendors gave their stock away to anyone who fancied some as the fresh produce wouldn't keep until the next event. 

Shrooms and the sacred space sum up much of my late 90s/early 00s festivals.

For me, the sacred space and green fields were the beating heart of the festival at that time. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

There was a noticibly happier vibe about the place IMO. So many huge grins, giggles and people almost collapsing in fits of laughter. Particularly evident on the Sunday night when many shroom vendors gave their stock away to anyone who fancied some as the fresh produce wouldn't keep until the next event. 

No surprise there, much better drugs than alcohol and cocaine, people take note.

4 minutes ago, MrHew said:

For me, the sacred space and green fields were the beating heart of the festival at that time. 

The SE side of the festival is still the heart of the festival, the closest you'll get to a late 90's/early 00s vibe.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Same here - it seems more rare than you might expect. Similarly Full Moon at the festival is a good one. 

Edited by Breeze

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

So true. Happy days. 

2 hours ago, MrHew said:

I think I only went down to Babylon a couple of times in 1999. Walked in and camped at the top of Pennard and the lowest down into the valley I got was the Brothers Bar a few times before heading home.