Mendip Council - Scrutiny of 2022 festival

stephos83

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

100% but probably only to people I trust. The rental would easily pay for a tremendous holiday. 

Of Pilton's 1000 or so residents, I wonder how many attend and how many despise the festival.

Probably most of them, if they weren't they'd have been voting in people who'd be against it on the council.

100% but probably only to people I trust. The rental would easily pay for a tremendous holiday. 

Of Pilton's 1000 or so residents, I wonder how many attend and how many despise the festival.

We’ve stayed in the village more than a few times on holiday and most folk seem to like the festival and embrace it.  Though we were warned by the person we stayed with not to mention the festival to one of her near neighbours who  isn’t keen on it! 

I reckon some attend and some despise it but the majority just accept it.  They do good stuff for the local community so even the residents that don't like the festival will see the benefits that it has.   As well as the list below Michael employs year round litter pickers and gardeners etc. 

• Building the new Pilton Working Men’s Club
  • The completion of a housing project providing housing with affordable rent for offspring of villagers who cannot afford Pilton prices
  • Renovating the Glastonbury Abbey Tythe Barn in Pilton and establishing  the Pilton Barn Trust
  • Building the original pavilion, football pitch, tennis courts in Pilton Playing Fields
  • Rebuilding of the Pilton Playing Fields Pavillion
  • Renovation of the child’s play area in the Pilton Playing Fields
  • Recasting the damaged medieval bells in Pilton Parish Church
  • Repairing the Pilton Parish Church heating system
  • Providing and erecting stone squeeze styles for footpaths in Pilton
  • Repairing the Pilton Methodist Chapel roof
  • Refurbishing the Child’s Play area in the Pilton Playing Fields
  • Improving the fabric and facilities of Glastonbury library

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/worthy-causes/local-benefits/

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, stuie said:

I reckon some attend and some despise it but the majority just accept it.  They do good stuff for the local community so even the residents that don't like the festival will see the benefits that it has.   As well as the list below Michael employs year round litter pickers and gardeners etc. 

• The completion of a housing project providing housing with affordable rent for offspring of villagers who cannot afford Pilton prices
  • Renovating the Glastonbury Abbey Tythe Barn in Pilton and establishing  the Pilton Barn Trust
  • Building the original pavilion, football pitch, tennis courts in Pilton Playing Fields

A wander round the village and you obviously see the good that ME has done. The sports facilities and play area are terrific for a small village. And I understand he was instrumental in getting the coop to open a shop in the working men’s club building, the previous village shop having closed. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

10 hours ago, stuie said:

Is that all? 

1 hour ago, Joshuwarr said:

The councillors are generally a lot more sensible than they were many years ago when it comes to the festival. Seems like some very sensible recommendations.

Aye, funnily enough that period in the 80s they were a bit of a pain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendip_District_Council_elections

There does seem to be more acknowledgement of general noise from people just being accepted and a focus on the late night music carrying and the bass... which does make me wish they'd revisit having quieter acts continue past midnight. 

Doesn't seem to be any reason any more you couldn't run Cabaret with stand-ups until 3-4am. You could have acts on the Acoustic stage actually playing acoustically. You could actually put a theatrical production on at the Theatre.

7 hours ago, DeanoL said:

There does seem to be more acknowledgement of general noise from people just being accepted and a focus on the late night music carrying and the bass... which does make me wish they'd revisit having quieter acts continue past midnight. 

Doesn't seem to be any reason any more you couldn't run Cabaret with stand-ups until 3-4am. You could have acts on the Acoustic stage actually playing acoustically. You could actually put a theatrical production on at the Theatre.

The licence is really restrictive on it. The 16 main stages get categorised A,B,C, D and the hours they can run are pretty heavily regulated.

I think the current one is from 2014 and is up in 2024. The festival has changed so much it'd be great if they could change that.