Where did you camp in 2022 and how was it?

Ell99

Hi everyone, just wanted to hear from people their experience of camping in 2022, where did you camp, what time did you get there, was it busy or pretty easy to find a spot, would you camp there again? (obviously this mainly applies to general camping!)

This was my third glasto. 2016 I worked at a bar so was in workers camping  in Dairy by PGD, 2019 took a big group of tents and camped in Bushy (nice big spot, friendly neighbours, good compost loos, but didn't really enjoy having to walk through Silver Hayes every time I was going in/out of the festival).

2022 I was the martyr of the group - set off from London at around 5am with 6 tents between the 4 of us (friend was bringing a big cooler of booze later as compensation), managed to park up at around 8ish I think (pleaded with the steward to let us into orange after they tried to point me to pink - if you dont ask you dont get!) We got to PGD and were aiming to find a spot in Paines big enough for 6 tents. Was shocked how busy it was by 11ish on Wednesday, we managed to find a spot big enough with a nice space in the middle for chairs, and didn't want to risk losing it just by the T junction between Dairy and Paines, so in the first bit of Paines. It was very easy to find as we were right next to a fire steward tower so navigating to/from was a doddle. 

Toilet wise there were some long drops 3 mins away - good for convenience and never having to queue but obviously could be nicer! Was lacking good water facilities - there was just 2 sinks which had very long queues - so I opted for a 7ish min walk and no queue every time. A few food/coffee spots up Paines before you cross over to Arcadia. but the queues were so big that these were redundant anyway. As much as I love a fancy coffee there is no way I am queuing 40 mins for a flat white when I could get an instant coffee from the burger van with no queue - caffeine was all that I was after.

Neighbours wise - we had a huge group of first time scousers right behind us - they were lovely but were playing pretty loud music at around 4am on Thurs morning. After that though,  I kid you not I did not see or hear a single thing from any of them for the rest of the festival. We were calling it a night around 4ish most nights, but they must have been out until at least 7-8 and sleeping until 2/3pm as they were just never there! 

Overall it was a great spot for general ease to get around - I was shocked how full it was when we arrived and we didn't want to risk going further up as we were looking for quite a big patch for all the tents.

We were lucky enough to get tickets last week (at 10.21 might I add!), and there will be 15 of us going. The people you are with definitely make the camping spot and once you are there and settled every where is fine anyway (have never heard someone say their festival was ruined by where they camped), but I think on the whole we will probably be aiming for a similar spot this time round - I might just hit the road 30 mins earlier this time!

Edited by Ell99
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've camped halfway up Big Ground for my last 3 Glastos and I love it - 5 mins walk from Pyramid and West Holts, lovely views, good facilities. Impossible to get a decent sized pitch there unless you queue overnight Tuesday though. We usually arrive by coach so by the time we get there (Weds early arvo) we're scouting for gaps big enough for 2 small tents, which we always manage. Decent amount of loos, water taps and food vans, and right next to the medical tent (which was handy this year when I had a violent allergic reaction to something I ate).

Giving Love Fields a go this year for the nicer loos/shower situation but will miss BG!

Rivermead (West Side)

Pros : not far from gate A and we were all on buses. At no point does it get busy busy. Fairly quiet campsite at night due to location. No passing traffic as its basically a cul de sac. Neighbours have always been great (camped here last 3 festivals). Close enough to JP, Pyramid, other and silver Hayes.

Cons : not many to be fair. A fair hike back from SE corner but we actually don't mind that. The stumble home has become part of the night for us. 

We camped here 

image.thumb.png.bcd5c9e9ff84a3aa40ef7857cc3712a6.png

It was nice and flat and was near the lockups and the loos weren't far away.

However it was too far from the East side fo the side, next time we are going back to kidney mead again. Even booked a hotel on that side of the site for the night before so we can get into the queue at about 5 am.  

6 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

We camped here 

image.thumb.png.bcd5c9e9ff84a3aa40ef7857cc3712a6.png

It was nice and flat and was near the lockups and the loos weren't far away.

However it was too far from the East side fo the side, next time we are going back to kidney mead again. Even booked a hotel on that side of the site for the night before so we can get into the queue at about 5 am.  

How bad was Arcadia from there (or were you out past 3 each night)

Usually camp in Kidney Mead via gate C and arriving car park early Weds morning. This year we camped in official pre-erected Sticklinch due to my hip issues- pros were car park next to camping field and drove straight in Weds 11ish. People helped with stuff, compost and flushing toilets, showers and a few food outlets, and a ready pitched tent, and a flat walk into festival via own gate. Drove straight out Monday morning no stress. Quiet. 
Cons: it’s a long old walk to anywhere.Park/Other/greenpeace about 30 -40 min walk at my slow pace with a stick🙄. so far away meant not being able to pop back to tent to chill out, get more drink and get warm stuff for the very cold nights.
if I had been fitter I might not have minded but think if I manage to get tix in resale  then we might go back to camping inside the festival especially as I expect to have a new hip in New year !😀🤞

Camped in Pylon, usually do Darble coming in on the coach but both campsites were noticeably busier this year. Nowhere near enough toilets, one set of compost loos in the whole pylon field and one tap between there and Rivermead. Hoping for worthy view this year

Edited by kaytee...

Have variously done Pennards, Oxylers, Michael's Mead, Park Home, Big Ground and Woodsies. Slightly apprehensive that we'll be struggling for space to camp as aiming for a Wednesday afternoon arrival and it seems like even the previously spacious fields are all full by midday now?? I tend to spend most time at the Park/SE corner/Avalon/T&C etc so would prefer somewhere vaguely that side. Did Tipi for the first time this year which was amazing location, but taking first timers next year and they're keen to 'do it properly' (I approve). Hoping for maybe Paines or Dairy...

We camped around here for our first Glasto in 2019 and if we ever manage to get tickets again (unlucky in the last 2 general sales) I would definitely try to aim for that spot again. Got there running with 2 tents from PGD at around 9:30AM on the Wednesday and there were a few spaces left. It was the perfect spot for us to get to the main stages and back from the late night area. We heard it was the ‘party campsite’ but the only reason we struggled to sleep that year was because the weather was so hot!B065AAAB-21B9-4D05-8479-E9A25E591941.thumb.jpeg.703a6476f7cbb528341dcec2ce7c5e58.jpeg

2019 Rigs field. Was nice, good neighbors, toilets and coffee (at cinamargeddon) were close by and little to no queues. Obvious down side -  the walk to anywhere was an absolute nightmare especially back to the tent late night.  Didn't consciously plan to stay there but it was my first glasto, was on my own and after I walked in at gate C I just kept going in an almost daze at the size etc of the place until I found myself on the opposite side of the site😂

Last year water aid campsite. Was insanely good! Close to pyramid stage, showers, food,coffee,tea and the site was always quiet. loved the whole experience.

This year have regular tix. Arriving by coach on wed (leave London at 9am) with two mates. - first glasto with friends of my own🤣. Am thinking dairy or Paine's but don't really know much about them and if there will even be space when we arrive. Only thing I know is it will be my third time and third completely different experience!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rhi293 said:

We camped around here for our first Glasto in 2019 and if we ever manage to get tickets again (unlucky in the last 2 general sales) I would definitely try to aim for that spot again. Got there running with 2 tents from PGD at around 9:30AM on the Wednesday and there were a few spaces left. It was the perfect spot for us to get to the main stages and back from the late night area. We heard it was the ‘party campsite’ but the only reason we struggled to sleep that year was because the weather was so hot!B065AAAB-21B9-4D05-8479-E9A25E591941.thumb.jpeg.703a6476f7cbb528341dcec2ce7c5e58.jpeg

This is pretty much the most central spot you can possibly get! Very busy path to be next to that - key way between SE corner and arcadia / most campsites

1 hour ago, Scrump said:

2019 Rigs field. Was nice, good neighbors, toilets and coffee (at cinamargeddon) were close by and little to no queues. Obvious down side -  the walk to anywhere was an absolute nightmare especially back to the tent late night.  Didn't consciously plan to stay there but it was my first glasto, was on my own and after I walked in at gate C I just kept going in an almost daze at the size etc of the place until I found myself on the opposite side of the site😂

Last year water aid campsite. Was insanely good! Close to pyramid stage, showers, food,coffee,tea and the site was always quiet. loved the whole experience.

This year have regular tix. Arriving by coach on wed (leave London at 9am) with two mates. - first glasto with friends of my own🤣. Am thinking dairy or Paine's but don't really know much about them and if there will even be space when we arrive. Only thing I know is it will be my third time and third completely different experience!

We had space for a big group in Dairy from an 8am london coach set back from walkway, you should be alright for paines with just 1/2 small tents for the 3 of ya

• Like 1

We camped smack bang in the middle of Oxylers last year. Mate slept in his car over night and headed straight there despite that not being the plan. We ended up right next the the central path and next to the bins. 
The location (in relation to the rest of the fest) was superb. Could watch the Other from our tent, get to Pyramid easy and wasn’t too far from the south east. The path however was very busy and if it wasn’t for our ear plugs it would’ve been a nightmare. The bin was fine until Saturday when they seemed to stop doing collections. 
Hoping for Worthy View  this year as we’re on coach and wouldn’t mind the daily showers but if not I think we’ll look a little further out of the centre with a bit more space.

DB55CEEE-4347-48CB-B738-AA370CB8BF13.jpeg

Always camp up in South Park 2 opposite where the cinema bit is. Fairly quiet area and on the outskirts near the fence but always loads of room when arriving around Wednesday lunchtime. 

Don't really send any time at the camp and tend to be coming home via Park /Spider so location works well. 

Do fancy trying somewhere different this year so will check out this thread. 

Also a huge article on different campsites here. 

https://www.glastoearth.com/p/torts-faq-part-3.html?m=1#:~:text=Where is the best place to camp%3F

10 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

We camped smack bang in the middle of Oxylers last year. Mate slept in his car over night and headed straight there despite that not being the plan. We ended up right next the the central path and next to the bins. 
The location (in relation to the rest of the fest) was superb. Could watch the Other from our tent, get to Pyramid easy and wasn’t too far from the south east. The path however was very busy and if it wasn’t for our ear plugs it would’ve been a nightmare. The bin was fine until Saturday when they seemed to stop doing collections. 
Hoping for Worthy View  this year as we’re on coach and wouldn’t mind the daily showers but if not I think we’ll look a little further out of the centre with a bit more space.

I often fear for those camped next to trackways that the tents get absolutely ruined by mud and overflow from pathways although obviously last year dust might have been the issue and not mud 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I often fear for those camped next to trackways that the tents get absolutely ruined by mud and overflow from pathways although obviously last year dust might have been the issue and not mud 

Yeah that wasn’t a major issue…assume that would a different story in a wet year. Someone did try to steal our cart though which was a bit of a shame. Good job the Mrs was on the ball.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, EddieJ said:

Sounds like a good spot. Out of interest what route did you take from London to get to orange parking?

We took Old Frome road into Wells (which is above Shepton Mallet), then down through Wells, into Glastonbury town then across onto the A361 into the festival. In effect circumnavigating the site from above to get onto the West side, as obviously logic dictates that going from London will take you to the East side first.

When we got to the steward she was pointing us left into the Pink Car park - I asked very politely if we could please park in Orange (I could see the entrance was just up to the right), she said 'no', I said 'please my friend has sprained their ankle and the shorter walk would be preferable' - this may or may not have been true. She then said you can try but it is full, i chanced my luck and went ahead to then turn into the orange field (cant remember which one) and low and behold it was a humungous field about 15% full. 

On 11/13/2022 at 10:07 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

Must have been a few tents down towards Lonely Hearts Club. Prime spot in my opinion especially during the day. Walk felt like a bit of a slog back from the SE corner but I suppose there's worse places to be.

Neighbors were all sound and were able to chat to most quite easily. Would be our spot if we manage to get em again in April Resale.

Edited by rgill3

Camped a few tents back from a path in Pennards, near steward base. Was probably the best experience we've had at Glasto.

There is a lot of criticism directed at Pennards (theft, destruction of tents, bad neighbours etc) but we thankfully experienced none of that. Was amazing to be able to pop into the tent on the way to or from Park to get a few more cans. It was very loud, but we were not getting back until the early hours ourselves!

On 11/13/2022 at 10:07 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

Your tent would have been a landmark for me! 

Oxylers 2019 and 2022. 

In 2022 got in at 10:30, stewards told us it was 90% full. Pitched up two tents by 11, reserved space for another 2 until 1pm, we'd have struggled keeping it much after that. 

Found Oxylers was very busy next to the paths but as soon as you went in about 5 metres in towards the fence by the farm there was actually a load more space available. It's just a trade off with toilets as it's not fast picking your way out through the guy lines.

Screenshot_20221114-130458.png