Other Stage Headliners

airwaves

Just now, leath02 said:

you'll come to learn that glasto does not pick subs that seem to make the most sense

for example - Lizzo into GnR - logic would put her under Elton

think it's probably to do with crowd management and not having people camp out in the one place all day

The Pyramid stage either has no idea about how to do a line up or doesn't care, contrast with WH.

Hasn't worked re "not having people camp out in the one place all day". The vast majority of the blanket posse only move to go to the loo.

2 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

The thing is every QOTSA fan I've encountered has said I'm gutted they are clashing but I will have to see Elton.

So I think it is a bad clash.

Are there any QOTSA fans out there who think it is a no brainer to see them over Elton?

Nope.  Seen QOTSA 3 times inc' Glasto 2011 and probably will again.  Seen Elton once.  Plus the field will be electric for Elton John.  No way I'm missing that party atmosphere.

24 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The Pyramid stage either has no idea about how to do a line up or doesn't care, contrast with WH.

Hasn't worked re "not having people camp out in the one place all day". The vast majority of the blanket posse only move to go to the loo.

Main stages at most festivals are always not very consistent, its owing to the nature of it. Its basically all the acts that are going to get massive crowds dumped onto one stage with some random acts in the afternoon

Genuine question on the afrobeats thing… who do you think attends this festival?

Do you think it’s just people from the local areas that come? I won’t be surprised if people from London, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol etc make up the majority of the attendees.

Have no idea how someone can swing a “big in London but not big at Glastonbury” argument.

Edited by Matt42

39 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'd argue that's down to the punters, and no amount of careful stage curating is going to change that.  There's always going to be a % of people who are either willing to stay somewhere all day just to see one or two acts, or really don't give that much of a fig about the music and are there to set up camp for a day and enjoy the atmosphere / experience of being in a field with some music on in the background.

Add on to that the people who will only be there to be fussed about "being at the pyramid" and you're always going to have a reasonably large number that ain't going anywhere else.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

Genuine question on the afrobeats thing… who do you think attends this festival?

Do you think it’s just people from the local areas that come? I won’t be surprised if people from London, Manchester, Liverpool etc make up the majority of the attendees.

Have no idea how someone can swing a “big in London but not big at Glastonbury” argument.

It's a murky pond to put your foot in on an internet discussion, but broadly you'd have to look at the demographic that is a massive fan of afrobeat music and the demographic that attends Glastonbury.

London has a way more diverse population than Glastonbury, so it makes sense that a more diverse range of music will have a fanbase there.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

It's a murky pond to put your foot in on an internet discussion, but broadly you'd have to look at the demographic that is a massive fan of afrobeat music and the demographic that attends Glastonbury.

London has a way more diverse population than Glastonbury, so it makes sense that a more diverse range of music will have a fanbase there.

I think this argument is absolutely pants lol. Glastonbury has had world focused music up and down its lineup for ages. You only need to take one stroll through silver hayes or the south east corner to see how diverse the music at glasto is and how afrobeats has always had a place.

Also - it’s just wrong that a huge chunk of the attendees aren’t from London, Bristol, Manchester etc where this scene is massive. It isn’t a little Somerset fete anymore. 

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Pyramid Stage is the second best curated stage on the site after West Holts. They absolutely nail it year in year out.

You think?

I always think of curated as in similar acts flowing well e.g. WH

Pyramid always just seems like a bit of a mish mash like Other does.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Do you think it’s just people from the local areas that come? I won’t be surprised if people from London, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol etc make up the majority of the attendees.

quark summed it up pretty well

Afrobeats has a (generalisation of course) predominantly young and more diverse fanbase than say landfill indie. Glastonbury is full of white people

Afrobeats in particular is very London centric as well, a lot of the time the biggest artists seem to not even do shows outside of London when they come over if they aren't based here. I doubt Liverpool has anywhere near as many afrobeats fans / 1000 people as london does.

Obviously booking more diverse acts is the best way to attract a more diverse audience (charging £350 a pop maybe not so much but thats a different discussion).

Burna Boy clearly got a good reception so its something they will be looking at closely to try and repeat I think.

The difference of afrobeats support between London and say Liverpool is probably as big as the difference between Liverpool and somerset honestly, it really does seem particularly London centric

Edited by gfa

I think my scientific polling on the QOTSA against EJ is conclusive, it is a bad idea to have them play against each other.

As I've said all along if the original plan was to have Swift against QOTSA on the Saturday then it makes more sense to get QOTSA to sub GNR and have one of Lizzo, Sam Smith or Lewis Capaldi against GNR 

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I think my scientific polling on the QOTSA against EJ is conclusive, it is a bad idea to have them play against each other.

As I've said all along if the original plan was to have Swift against QOTSA on the Saturday then it makes more sense to get QOTSA to sub GNR and have one of Lizzo, Sam Smith or Lewis Capaldi against GNR 

It’s a bad idea in the same way that Kendrick and PSB is a bad idea. Two popular acts.

Some clashes suck. That’s just how it goes.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Afrobeats has a (generalisation of course) predominantly young and more diverse fanbase than say landfill indie. Glastonbury is full of white people

Afrobeats in particular is very London centric as well, a lot of the time the biggest artists seem to not even do shows outside of London when they come over if they aren't based here. I doubt Liverpool has anywhere near as many afrobeats fans / 1000 people as london does.

But this comes from the view that a huge chunk of the attendees aren’t coming from London? I think Glastonbury booking what’s big in London is booking in line with their attendees.

I’m sure they have data to back up who is buying tickets and from where. 

This just sounds to me like people being challenged by things they don’t know and resisting it.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a bad idea in the same way that Kendrick and PSB is a bad idea. Two popular acts.

Some clashes suck. That’s just how it goes.

I strongly disagree with that comparison lots of PSB fans are not fans of Kendrick and vice versa.

I specifically asked QOTSA fans about the clash and all but one of them said they would go to EJ and that one person has EJ tickets in April  

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think this argument is absolutely pants lol. Glastonbury has had world focused music up and down its lineup for ages. You only need to take one stroll through silver hayes or the south east corner to see how diverse the music at glasto is and how afrobeats has always had a place.

Also - it’s just wrong that a huge chunk of the attendees aren’t from London, Bristol, Manchester etc where this scene is massive. It isn’t a little Somerset fete anymore. 

I don't think anyone was really making "big in London, not in Glasto" argument and even less that afrobeats has no place in Glasto or that WizKid shouldn't get a prominent spot. The discussion was specifically whether his stadium gig in London and playing bigger venues means he should get the other headline spot over Prodigy (for example), or he would fit on WH better. Which given the type of music I think he would and the Prodigy still have more cross appeal.

Oh, we've also had info in the stage prediction thread about QOTSA subbing Elton.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, gfa said:

You think?

I always think of curated as in similar acts flowing well e.g. WH

Pyramid always just seems like a bit of a mish mash like Other does.

That's just one interpretation of it. Arguably programming the Pyramid is a more difficult job as its got to maintain broad appeal ans also offering variety, a mix of genres and ages whilst maintaining the credibility of the festival to the watching world.

The dipshits wanging on about the picnic blanket brigade 😂😂😂 couldn't do half as good a job

Just now, clasher said:

Yeah the guy who said QOTSA are subbing said he's not that confident in the info and it feels a bit off to me. 

No problem in wishful thinking. I'm still desperately hoping Queens find their way to a pyramid sub slot one of the days. Ideally not at the expense of Pulp. The theory of Homme being bros with Elton is what I'm clinging to.