Resale Club 2023

Jack.194

20 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Did anyone have the experience of their auto refresher extension not stop refreshing for ages until after the sold out tweet? I'm talking like an hour afterwards.

Have they improved their ability to tell if people are using these or not?

Plenty in our groups over the two sales got through with just f5ing it.

I was manually refreshing on my devices and I didn’t get the “sold out” until about 9.30/9.45 ish on any of them 🫤

Hmm, I think overall the diversity of having a lot of new people going, perhaps for the first time or because they've missed out the last few years can only be a good thing, which is what I like about the new system. Gives people a greater chance if they're not in a huge group, or know about these spreadsheets. Heck, I only remember reading about the for last year's sale the first time, but it turns out people have been doing stuff like this for a decade!

The only part I dislike is how easily it could be manipulated by people with big followings or lots of money to throw at a ticket, bots and things like this.

I have no idea what the solution is though to any of that, feel like there's never gonna be a perfect system.

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Back into the hospitality / competition pot at this point. More effort than it's worth to keep having resales for people who cock up every time 

They wouldn’t have to send emails to people to ask them to pay if some sort of secret resale happened, as the demand wouldn’t overload the servers. Do agree that this is very unlikely to happen though. 

15 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The only part I dislike is how easily it could be manipulated by people with big followings or lots of money to throw at a ticket, bots and things like this.

Money for bots, yeah, never any real way to get around that. 

Big influencers won't be able to get away with doing it publicly though, even with a burner postcode. All it takes is for someone to put themselves as the lead booker and the influencer as the second person, and it'll lock them out. And the internet WILL troll e-celebs they don't like. 

15 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Gives people a greater chance if they're not in a huge group, or know about these spreadsheets

These people have way less of a chance now. 

I've never heard of a festival/gig buying system before where you can buy tickets and not have to provide payment details. 

We have a call centre in Manilla on our books in work and I could probably throw them a 100 quid and have 50 people - who I don't know and havent a clue what Glastonbury even is - trying for me in October. This is the sort of abuse this new system is open to. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, mazola said:

4 out of 44 for my group, worst return I've ever seen. 

Me and my partner tried in all four sales this year with no luck 😞 Just found this forum and wish i'd found it sooner, love the camaraderie here

9 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Money for bots, yeah, never any real way to get around that. 

Big influencers won't be able to get away with doing it publicly though, even with a burner postcode. All it takes is for someone to put themselves as the lead booker and the influencer as the second person, and it'll lock them out. And the internet WILL troll e-celebs they don't like. 

Good point, never thought of it like that. Could easily get through and reserve them tickets and then cancel it at a later date? Does the lead booker have that kind of power to cancel tickets on behalf of the others?

Also, would this work in the main sale in Oct? If I put myself down as the LB, the celeb second, they could still purchase their tickets and get them sent normally via SeeTickets?

Plus, by trolling the influencer, you're wasting a space on your precious 6-person ticket request... Hmm... I'm not so sure people would take that chance.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Good point, never thought of it like that. Could easily get through and reserve them tickets and then cancel it at a later date? Does the lead booker have that kind of power to cancel tickets on behalf of the others?

Also, would this work in the main sale in Oct? If I put myself down as the LB, the celeb second, they could still purchase their tickets and get them sent normally via SeeTickets?

Plus, by trolling the influencer, you're wasting a space on your precious 6-person ticket request... Hmm... I'm not so sure people would take that chance.

To be honest, any influencer worth their salt is easily going to be able to get into Glasto without doing the ticket lottery anyway. Literally just tell some small artist they're using their guest pass and give them a bunch of free publicity. Don't think it'll be much of an issue.

The new system (should they choose to keep it, and they will) benefits "normies" more and organised spreadsheeters in groups of 100 less. Depends on your point of view whether that's a good or bad thing I guess. 

I thought the resale both Thursday and yesterday was brutal sure, but no less fair than it has been in the past.

I think it's quite amusing though, reading the irony of people complaining here about influencers potentially having lots of people try for them (does anybody actually have any evidence of this?) while simultaneously complaining that the efests resale groups with loads of people trying for them were unsuccessful.

I feel a whole lot less angry about the ticket process this week vs back in November, which was absolutely brutal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

These people have way less of a chance now. 

I've never heard of a festival/gig buying system before where you can buy tickets and not have to provide payment details. 

We have a call centre in Manilla on our books in work and I could probably throw them a 100 quid and have 50 people - who I don't know and havent a clue what Glastonbury even is - trying for me in October. This is the sort of abuse this new system is open to. 

It's effectively a reserve and buy system, but I get your point. It's quite unheard of but I doubt it's going to put anyone off. I'd be surprised if there was even 1% of tickets reserved yesterday not paid for by now. And even then, some of those might just be because of monumental cockups like not checking you have enough cash in your account or something equally unprepared like that.

Yeah, it's that kind of abuse that will come out of this. I expect to see offers of groups of people in other countries offering their services on Fiverr as well, any kind of freelance market place like that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

To be honest, any influencer worth their salt is easily going to be able to get into Glasto without doing the ticket lottery anyway. Literally just tell some small artist they're using their guest pass and give them a bunch of free publicity. Don't think it'll be much of an issue.

Or they drop an E-Mail to one of the festival sponsors or one of the numerous media/music industry companies eligible to buy Hospitality tickets at least some of whom would be happy to host them. I agree, it's an absolute non-factor on the General sale. Anyone who's able to leverage people to act on their behalf is going to consider themselves far too big a deal to slum it on a regular ticket like the rest of us. They need to be able to show off that different coloured wristband that indicates they're better than everyone else.

How about queuing outside partner record shops at the crack of the sparrows to physically purchase a ticket.  Good times.

We somehow used to arrange offs at the football in the eighties which on reflection seems like a feat of military precision given what we now have at our disposal to get stuff and arrange stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themunn said:

I thought the resale both Thursday and yesterday was brutal sure, but no less fair than it has been in the past.

I think it's quite amusing though, reading the irony of people complaining here about influencers potentially having lots of people try for them (does anybody actually have any evidence of this?) while simultaneously complaining that the efests resale groups with loads of people trying for them were unsuccessful.

I feel a whole lot less angry about the ticket process this week vs back in November, which was absolutely brutal.

Yeah I thought it was really smooth. I was lucky enough to get a Thursday coach in the resale, had no hangs on the page and had my confirmation email 18:04. I know a lot of people were really unlucky this time around, so it was very bittersweet.

November was an absolute sham. To have "bought" tickets to find out seetickets hadn't updated their regulations to handle customer authentication.. I could've gotten through multiple times and would've continuingly failed. 

As long as bots don't take over, the payment email is a much better system.

Just now, parsonjack said:

I occasionally see Emily around locally. If/when I do I will politely ask whether they are aware that the 'new' system could be open to bot farms or call centre contracts and whether that could be a concern for them. 

Can't do any harm. 

Ask her if there's four loose tickets lying round somewhere as well please

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I occasionally see Emily around locally. If/when I do I will politely ask whether they are aware that the 'new' system could be open to bot farms or call centre contracts and whether that could be a concern for them. 

Can't do any harm. 

Now that the dust has settled, I wonder whether this will actually be the new way going forward or if it's just a one-off in exceptional circumstances - so I guess that would be worth asking too?

I'm quite on board with what @briddjhas suggested re that there was actually fuck all tickets which were available following a potential oversell in the original sales.  Yes, based on something someone maybe said at See, but actually fits and ties together lots of other things that we do know:

• lots of people got tickets after the 'sold out' in the first sale, so that's not normal (fits with an oversell);
  • 6 groups of 50-100 people each were organised on here and fuck all of them got tickets, unusually low (yes influencers and yes bots, but this also fits with bugger-all tickets which fits with there being an oversell);
  • and a really strange step to be able to book tickets without paying for them (which fits with an extraordinary circumstance, which fits with bugger-all tickets and needing to make damn sure that the same thing doesn't happen again, which indicates that there was an over-sell).

So, hopefully they massively buggered up the first sale - they'll figure it out by next year but couldn't trust it to be the same massive fuck-up in the resale - they took extraordinary steps and hopefully won't need to do that again.  In the meantime loads of us have figured out something about setting up groups and we're in an even better position next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or, much more likely, 50,000+ people were trying for 3-4k tickets as barely anyone in 5 months decided err no i dont actually want to give up my golden ticket. 

all signs also point to the current system being used in oct/nov 23. If they couldnt sort payments between nov 22 and April 23 what makes anyone think they’ll have a magical fix in another 6 months time? This feels a permanent change to me. Its only been brought on by the advent of secure payment verification, which would i assume not be the chosen route of see or the festival but they have to comply with the law. Its not their fault!

Edited by Memory Man

24 minutes ago, p.pete said:
  • and a really strange step to be able to book tickets without paying for them (which fits with an extraordinary circumstance, which fits with bugger-all tickets and needing to make damn sure that the same thing doesn't happen again, which indicates that there was an over-sell).

I don't find this to be a strange step given all the problems that occurred with the card verification steps. It's better to move these out than risk crashing people out of the process which was a massive point of frustration.

Also apparently SeeTickets were trying to process deposits as a contactless payment despite it being several hundred quid over that limit.

10 minutes ago, MJP said:

I don't find this to be a strange step given all the problems that occurred with the card verification steps. It's better to move these out than risk crashing people out of the process which was a massive point of frustration.

Also apparently SeeTickets were trying to process deposits as a contactless payment despite it being several hundred quid over that limit.

Strange may not be the right word - certainly you can argue it was a sensible step, pragmatic or logical.  But how often does that happen, how many other internet ticket sales have there been in the last year for any gig or festival where you didn't need to pay as part of the process?  Definitely not normal, if not quite 'strange'

Hadn't heard about the processing as contactless payments bit.  That definitely fits with there being a massive fuck-up first time round - thus their sensible, steps this time round.  Presuming they can figure it out, really very little to suggest they can't figure it out (potentially just belt and braces approach this time round) and return it to a normal sale next time round.

Just trying to counter the assumption that there's a 'new way' that sales will be for ever more.  Very little evidence for that other than it's happened this one time - and lots to say there was a fuckup last time.  Obviously there was high demand too, and nobody 'wants' to give up their ticket (although all the assumptions beforehand were that quite a few were being returned to the pot)