Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

12 hours ago, Wald said:

Not one to agree with the tyrant running this site but Guns n' Roses are an abysmal booking no matter how you try to square it

thanks but people are trying really hard to say its ok, but its never going to be ok in 2023.

21 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

There are plenty of ways to square it that make it look good. They’re a stadium sized rock act, a bit heavier than Glastonbury normally books, that Emily wants and seem keen. You might not like it but others will.

but but but some people on here don't like them so nobody should and therefore should never be be booked! 

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im a fan & I think its bobbins. When they first came back & there was a Buzz about them (even if not on this site) - it would have been fine.

Now it looks tired & pointless.

you've nailed it. 

19 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

To say AM wouldn’t be well received is utterly deluded. They’re one of the biggest British bands this century and have just sold out a dozen stadium dates. They’ll be regarded in plenty of circles as a great booking.

It won't generate headlines though, like Elton, Macca, Billie - it's not really news-worthy, which is what I think a lot of us are getting at. It's probably the most obvious "good" booking the festival could make. It's entirely expected - hence it probably won't get an announcement on its own.

I think there's a difference between the reaction from people going to the festival, versus the reaction from those that aren't/don't, but who still pay attention to these things. For some "Who is headlining Glastonbury?" is similar to "Who has won the Brits?" - it often says something about the state of music/culture/etc in the UK beyond just people who are going getting excited/disappointed.

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Oasis on the comeback could shift 10x as many tickets to be fair, different league to GNR really

i do know this....it was a little comment about a lead singer who is unreliable and is rubbish live, and just because thats my opinion 

but i also dont think everyone should hold the same view which some people on here are pushing.....

Just now, DeanoL said:

It won't generate headlines though, like Elton, Macca, Billie - it's not really news-worthy, which is what I think a lot of us are getting at. It's probably the most obvious "good" booking the festival could make. It's entirely expected - hence it probably won't get an announcement on its own.

I think there's a difference between the reaction from people going to the festival, versus the reaction from those that aren't/don't, but who still pay attention to these things. For some "Who is headlining Glastonbury?" is similar to "Who has won the Brits?" - it often says something about the state of music/culture/etc in the UK beyond just people who are going getting excited/disappointed.

Not every headliner gets huge coverage though, they certainly don't get equal amounts of coverage. How much fanfare were Kendrick, The Cure, The Killers announced to for instance? It's not always about generating headlines and press coverage.

People who only follow music casually will just see that a massive band are headlining.

nice interview with Andy Fairweather Low, who has headlined glastonbury at least once (probably played loads more), do you know who with?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/feb/28/andy-fairweather-low-jimi-hendrix-sidled-over-and-politely-told-me-youre-in-the-wrong-key

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think there's a difference between the reaction from people going to the festival, versus the reaction from those that aren't/don't, but who still pay attention to these things

i think it'll get slaughtered most by those who don't go but who pay attention.

12 minutes ago, pryce said:

but but but some people on here don't like them so nobody should and therefore should never be be booked! 

😆 It’s difficult to argue with people who wrongly think their opinion is fact, or wrongly think their opinion is more valuable than others. But I’ll keep trying. I’ve got young kids at home so it’s good practice😉

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There’s also a difference between most people who go to the festival and the hardcore who hang around on here. Or those who go occasionally vs those who try and go every year. They’ll just see three stadium acts rather than worrying about how many times they’ve played before, or how ‘uninspiring’ it may seem to someone going to their 15th Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Do we really care what people who don't go think? The festival would be booking the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Ed Sheeran every year if that's the case.

no, don't care, but do care about glasto having a brilliant reputation, of having the very best acts. not second rate headliners.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

no, don't care, but do care about glasto having a brilliant reputation, of having the very best acts. not second rate headliners.

I think I have some strange filter on my account active, because every time I read a post of Neil's I just see:

"WAAAAAAGHH! THEY'VE BOOKED AN ACT I DON'T LIKE!!"

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Based on the response from my Glasto team... everyone is thrilled that GNR are playing. But what do they know?

My extended group, family and friends, is 20 strong, ages ranging from 18 to 55. 11 are defo going GNR and 4 will if nothing else takes their fancy. Only 5 are a ‘no no’. That’s about standard for us for pyramid headliners. Similar for AM, slightly higher for Elton.