2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

LCD are surely a lock-in for the festival? The APE blurb that says that show will be “one of only 2 UK shows this year” and they’re in Ireland on the 26th June.

Subbing the pyramid

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Spot on.

Paul McCartney 2022 I was stood about 20 m in from the toilets in the field that are by the cider bus entrance/exit....went out to go to the toilet and to get a pint...easily strolled out through the toilets, but when i came back in with my beer there was a huge amount of people stood on the path or on the little mound after it....refusing to move 'there's no room through here mate'   etc - 'well there is as i've just come from it' 

managed to get through, and popped out in the main field like a cork out of a champagne bottle...turned round and had to laugh at the masses amount of space further in the field and a massive bottleneck of people stood by the toilets/path thinking that the field was full.

I think what happens is people turn up and for whatever reason stand near the edge, then others arriving after think that the field is full because people are already stood at the edge so just stand next to them, that in turn creates the crust/barrier...which then makes everyone else think the field is full when in reality further into it there's lots of space.

It's a smaller scale but I find the Park stage always suffers from this because of the hill. People get densely packed further back because they assume it's the same all the way down but actually there's loads of space if you can force yourself through to nearer the front.

I wonder if for big Pyramid crowds it's worth them getting the drone up and broadcasting an aerial view of the crowd on the screens before an act comes on - might help give people a sense of how packed the crowd is and make people realise they need to pack up their blankets and chairs. (Then again, maybe not - the people with their chairs near us for Elton seemed to not care at all about anyone other than themselves)

11 hours ago, Joey Peeps said:

Where's this LCD subbing the Pyramid chat come from? What a weird, but potentially brilliant, booking that would be.

Not sure it's that brilliant.... would much rather them be on another stage where it's just their fans that have gone to see them.  Pyramid subs attract disinterested people who are only there to claim their space. 

Just now, mouserat said:

It's a smaller scale but I find the Park stage always suffers from this because of the hill. People get densely packed further back because they assume it's the same all the way down but actually there's loads of space if you can force yourself through to nearer the front.

I wonder if for big Pyramid crowds it's worth them getting the drone up and broadcasting an aerial view of the crowd on the screens before an act comes on - might help give people a sense of how packed the crowd is and make people realise they need to pack up their blankets and chairs. (Then again, maybe not - the people with their chairs near us for Elton seemed to not care at all about anyone other than themselves)

I actually had that thought not 5 mins ago but think it would cause more problems than it solves with people all headed to the more quiet area 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Absolutely. The best trick I've ever learned at Glastonbury is to go to the side of the stage as far as you can get, and then work your way in from the side. Not meaning to push in, or barge, or anything, but it surprises me how close you can get as opposed to heading in from the back. Even for Wet Leg on The Park in 2022 (which I genuinely didn't realise at the time was so rammed) I got there about 20 minutes before and was comfortably by the right side speaker. Has worked many, many times including getting into Pyramid front paddock. Just got to plan, though admittedly it works less well with a group!

14 minutes ago, mouserat said:

The couple next to us for Elton last year refused to put their chairs away even after endless announcements on the tannoy and on the screen.....eventually got to a point that they both stood up one went in front of the chairs and one behind and then put their bags/beers on the chairs to keep the space.....then would periodically sit down to roll a joint or snort another line of coke.

I think they should say for big acts that there is space in the field and if you're stood on the edge please let people through that want to go in the middle.  Glastonbury crowds are generally older than other big festivals so more people want to stand/sit further back which is fine but they do need to sort it out a bit for the big headline acts when the crust/barrier starts becoming a problem.

The whole crowd crust thing is mad.  I've lost count of the amount of times I've been for a piss/drink and had to almost fight back through a 20 metre deep wall of gawpers around the edge of the field.  Pyramid seems to be the worst, but I've experienced it at all the outdoor stages to some degree.  I know everyone claims TLC at Holts was rammed, but from the sound stage to the wall of vendors as far back as Brothers there was loads of room.

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The couple next to us for Elton last year refused to put their chairs away even after endless announcements on the tannoy and on the screen.....eventually got to a point that they both stood up one went in front of the chairs and one behind and then put their bags/beers on the chairs to keep the space.....then would periodically sit down to roll a joint or snort another line of coke.

I think they should say for big acts that there is space in the field and if you're stood on the edge please let people through that want to go in the middle.  Glastonbury crowds are generally older than other big festivals so more people want to stand/sit further back which is fine but they do need to sort it out a bit for the big headline acts when the crust/barrier starts becoming a problem.

Sunday at the Pyramid is always horrible for that. Remember getting yelled at by someone sat down at Paul Simon in 2011 because I was "blocking her view"

She was sitting down, with basically a full picnic hamper 😁

Was absolutely shocked at how much space opened up towards the front at Elton when they finally made the announcement over the PA. With that crowd! I know people's feet are sore at that point but I really could not fathom that attitude...

Edited by foolsgold1981

Only way to stop that is to actually have some stewards wandering through the crowds monitoring and educating... giving people a heads up that there's a little more space up front and to let people through if they're happy where they are.

We did see some for the first time in the Elton crowd last year asking people to collapse their chairs etc but they could have just been doing so much more I thought...

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

You get a crust even at the circus tent!! What are people like.... It's so annoying

I suspect crust is usually caused by people not wanting to commit fully to watching an act and want the option of leaving easily. Especially at places like the circus tent where people will just poke their heads in for five minutes then wander off again.

6 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The whole crowd crust thing is mad.  I've lost count of the amount of times I've been for a piss/drink and had to almost fight back through a 20 metre deep wall of gawpers around the edge of the field.  Pyramid seems to be the worst, but I've experienced it at all the outdoor stages to some degree.  I know everyone claims TLC at Holts was rammed, but from the sound stage to the wall of vendors as far back as Brothers there was loads of room.

It's not unique to Glastonbury. Happens in almost all gig venues 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Another place its bad for is the back of the Other stage field where the food traders are...because its on a hill you can even see the gaps (usually around where the flags are) but people who are eating the food they've just bought just stand there refusing to move even out of the way so you can get past

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not unique to Glastonbury. Happens in almost all gig venues 

2007 I went to Benicassim festival in Spain, Armand van Helden played in the dance tent and half way through I wanted out to get some water and cool off...got most of the way out fine, it was busy but you could get past, then I got to the edge of the tent and there was massive sea of people stood at the edge, as i tried to get past some guy got annoyed and pushed me into someone else who then turned round and whacked me on the back of the head, so much that i nearly went over!

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I suspect crust is usually caused by people not wanting to commit fully to watching an act and want the option of leaving easily. Especially at places like the circus tent where people will just poke their heads in for five minutes then wander off again.

Or the ones who run in from the rain and stand with their back to the act looking to see when they can go back out again.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yup...so just let others through and don't be aggy hey 

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Or the ones who run in from the rain and stand with their back to the act looking to see when they can go back out again.

Definitely a factor for the tents.

You'll get crust around the edges of the pyramid field from people who don't want to be too far from food/toilets/bars/etc too.

38 minutes ago, stuie said:

Not sure it's that brilliant.... would much rather them be on another stage where it's just their fans that have gone to see them.  Pyramid subs attract disinterested people who are only there to claim their space. 

Beck 2016 is the archetypal Pyramid sub ruined by casual fans

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Another place its bad for is the back of the Other stage field where the food traders are...because its on a hill you can even see the gaps (usually around where the flags are) but people who are eating the food they've just bought just stand there refusing to move even out of the way so you can get past

Yeah, that's a pain at times but the Other field is so open on all sides I've always found it quite easy to navigate through the crowds.  Especially if you come in from either side.