2024 Headliners

24 minutes ago, readyforsummer said:

I didnt have the Kylie date but otherwise all correct.

Fingers crossed for Stevie Sunday

Soz for calling you a mole m8. Meant it in the best possible sense of the word. 

Like grass. Or tout.

Edited by gherkin8r

35 minutes ago, stuie said:

Saw end of Young Fathers as it happens.  WH wasn't even full so they aren't going to pull off Pyramid.  As you've asked, I watched the first half of Fred Again, then walked through to West Holts for end of YF, then went to bed as I started at 4am on Saturday.

What I saw is not relevant to then not being on the future headliners list!

I'm pretty sure I that a few people commented in the UF topic here that they saw them as future headliners. Need to be open to new ideas else there's just a shrinking pool of beige.

• Upvote 1

I wish Young Fathers were a future headliner as they were exceptional live last year (I caught them at Latitude rather than Glaso) they really are something else with the intensity and energy of the performance.  I haven't seen anything like it for a long time.

I agree though that I can't see them headlining the Pyramid.  If I think about the band that they remind me the most of and it would be Massive Attack (I know there are only a few musical similarities) and I think they will top out at being Other Stage Headliners - critically acclaimed, big fan base that will turn out for them, able to play big gigs on their own but not crossed over enough to top the pyramid.

And that is a shame, because they are so inventive, interesting and spellbinding live.

I think sometimes being interesting and making very diverse sounding music works against you.  If they had something tradionally anthemic then they would stand more chance.

No one really bats too much of an eye when Sam Fender gets mentioned as a future headliner, he is fine, but incredibly derivative - but he has stuff that you can sing along to in a crowd.

27 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'm pretty sure I that a few people commented in the UF topic here that they saw them as future headliners. Need to be open to new ideas else there's just a shrinking pool of beige.

Breaks me that beige will always come out on top. 

People love generic music and sadly we have to reluctantly accept that.

58 minutes ago, Neil said:

Definitely! 
It wouldn't be bad for the festival, from a variety perspective, to have maybe one mega booking top the Pyramid each year and the other two be at around arena level. More variety and interest for everyone, more money to spread around the festival. Also, if a band absolutely smashes it one year on WH or Other, easier to promote them up without them having to be at the same level as your Oldplay's, U2s etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I think sometimes being interesting and making very diverse sounding music works against you.  If they had something tradionally anthemic then they would stand more chance.

No one really bats too much of an eye when Sam Fender gets mentioned as a future headliner, he is fine, but incredibly derivative - but he has stuff that you can sing along to in a crowd.

Hit the nail on the head here.  Behind the middle screen/sound desk at the Pyramid all the way to the back is mainly camp chair/picnic blanket NIMBY twats who want something they've heard on radio 2.  Something so outside the mainstream - regardless of how good it is - will never get a big slot there as it just doesn't appeal to the demographic (see also - Little Simz).  That's what West Holts is for and probably what makes it the most interesting of the 3 larger stages,

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

image.png.ef1bfa4341ef7686ee30720f944484f6.png

Sam Fenders music is Beige and generic

...  exactly kind of stuff the 

26 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Hit the nail on the head here.  Behind the middle screen/sound desk at the Pyramid all the way to the back is mainly camp chair/picnic blanket NIMBY twats who want something they've heard on radio 2.  Something so outside the mainstream - regardless of how good it is - will never get a big slot there as it just doesn't appeal to the demographic (see also - Little Simz).  That's what West Holts is for and probably what makes it the most interesting of the 3 larger stages,

Yeah West holts normally has much better music on in than the Pyramid. 

I really wish there was a correlation between  popularity and quality but there is not. 

Little Simz sadly would have to produce a couple of generic pop albums to get there and she seems to have to much integrity to do that

I think Glastonbury should put on less of the things I don't like and more of the things I do like because the stuff I like is better than the stuff the mere mortals are into, the beige c**ts. 

Edited by gherkin8r
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

These artists still play glasto it's just they won't headline the Pyramid but might headline a smaller stage. It's really that simple. Who cares? You can still go see them and they will have a more engaged crowd that want to be there. 

The little simz headline thing is peak efests nonsense. Why people are so desperate for the festival to actively destroy itself I have no clue. Just go to West Holts and enjoy yourself lol

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

8g1zne.jpg

I resent the use of the worse here

It would make if it said less commercially successful. 

You could say Young Fathers are less commercially successful or popular than Coldplay  - that's a given 

Definitely would not think that you can state Young Fathers make "worse" music than Coldplay......    music is subjective at best.....