2024 Headliners

24 minutes ago, Glastozone said:

So maybe she was never actually in negotiations in the first place.

I think that's more likely than she was, and then weeks later they decided she was too expensive. 

Though it could be that they had talked about a price, Madonna was happy with it and then weeks later decided it was not enough. 

Either way, what Glastonbury will consider paying her won't have suddenly come as a shock.

36 minutes ago, Glastozone said:

So maybe she was never actually in negotiations in the first place.

At this point, that seems the most likely scenario (or at least - any conversations that did take place were brief and not encouraging).

We still have no indication whatsoever that she's intending to be in any way active past April. There's not even any especially strong rumours of the tour continuing into summer / going outside - the one rumour that did float around a few months ago was about BST, but everyone capable of shifting a few tickets gets rumoured for BST. I have to think that if she was intending to be active in June, even for a small number of select dates, then there wouldn't be this complete radio silence.

I'm currently clinging onto the fact that BST are also still very quiet, which could mean Madonna is lined up but they're not in a contractual position to announce. They can afford to hang on for a bit, if they've got her, it's selling out in no time at all. If Madge is at BST, she's on the Farm. If not, she ain't. That's where I am with it at the moment. Who they'd get if it's not her, I have no idea.

If I had to guess, I'm still currently 55/45 for Madonna. that confidence is disappearing with every passing day though.

I love it. 166 days until the gates open and we're around 75% sure of one headliner, 25% on the second and probably less on the third. Come on Eavis, pull something special out of the hat.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm currently clinging onto the fact that BST are also still very quiet, which could mean Madonna is lined up but they're not in a contractual position to announce. They can afford to hang on for a bit, if they've got her, it's selling out in no time at all. If Madge is at BST, she's on the Farm. If not, she ain't. That's where I am with it at the moment. Who they'd get if it's not her, I have no idea.

If I had to guess, I'm still currently 55/45 for Madonna. that confidence is disappearing with every passing day though.

I love it. 166 days until the gates open and we're around 75% sure of one headliner, 25% on the second and probably less on the third. Come on Eavis, pull something special out of the hat.

Which one 75 and which one 25 ? I’d put them both 75 minimum 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Which one 75 and which one 25 ? I’d put them both 75 minimum 

Dua @ 75%, Chris & the Lads @ 25%.

I don't think there's anything definitive pointing towards Coldplay, is there? I guess there's some logic around their relationship with the Farm etc. Unless I've completely missed something?

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't think there's anything definitive pointing towards Coldplay, is there? I guess there's some logic around their relationship with the Farm etc. Unless I've completely missed something?

The info that’s been given ?

39 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Given the appearance of a GSH in their schedule I'm surprised there's that much doubt in Coldplay doing it.

41 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Totally agree. I’m still convinced they’ve got her, just because, in my opinion, it’s the perfect career topper for a mega star before they head off into retirement. She really doesn’t need the dollar but it’s got to work out and be viable. If she does it and nails it like Elton did, it’s the perfect ending that gains worldwide attention and would be watched by anyone in the UK with even a passing interest in her. While there’s still space on the BST lineup for her, I think there’s a strong chance she’s signed up for the G. If it gets to the point where there’s no BST space left then it’s potentially game over. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Totally agree. I’m still convinced they’ve got her, just because, in my opinion, it’s the perfect career topper for a mega star before they head off into retirement. She really doesn’t need the dollar but it’s got to work out and be viable. If she does it and nails it like Elton did, it’s the perfect ending that gains worldwide attention and would be watched by anyone in the UK with even a passing interest in her. While there’s still space on the BST lineup for her, I think there’s a strong chance she’s signed up for the G. If it gets to the point where there’s no BST space left then it’s potentially game over. 

Yeah this is my thinking too, if your Madonna and her team, seeing Elton nail it in 2023 and get such a good reception, it must be tempting to think lets have some of that even if the pay is not up to usual levels. Get the BST gig for the pay day and do Glastonbury for the PR, you don't get to be her status in the music world without having some of that savviness and given she's on her greatest hit tour, she will know there's probably never going to be a better time for her to do it

43 minutes ago, jadedj said:

Has there ever been a year when the headliners haven't been one of the bookies favourites?

Sure. Over the course of the complete cycle (ie from when odds going up shortly after the previous festival ends through to the lineup being announced) there's usually about 6 or 7 acts that at various times are the bookies favourite. At least 3 or 4 of them don't end up headlining.

One thing that’s bugging me about the Coldplay rumour is that every one of their European shows are announced and sold out. If they are booked to play on Pointy Mc Pointface I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t have announced it already.

Edited by Mark H