2024 Headliners

8 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

We'll never see a DJ set headline Glastonbury. If we do, you know the festival has really fallen on hard times. But...it is about time an electronic act was given the chance again. I would like to have seen the Chemical Brothers given another go on the Pyramid on the last tour cycle instead of headlining the Other. Actually, forget Coldplay, a trio of Dua Lipa, Chems and Madonna would be sweet in 24 

Not quite the same but we did have a rumour that Chems were offered Pyramid sub in 2019 but turned it down in favour of their usual slot on Other. That would’ve been an interesting one if they’d have accepted. Doesn’t make any sense to have them headline the Pyramid at this stage of their career though. Yeah they’re still a big act with an incredible live show but there really wouldn’t have been any reason for the bump up other than ‘eh, why not?’

Theres a chance I’ll eat sh*t on this in a couple of years time but I really don’t see Fred getting that gig. Very much feel his run of festival headline slots next year will be his peak and the hype will taper off after that.

11 hours ago, stuie said:

I’m starting to doubt the Madonna booking now… if she’s announced she’s not just going to be wheeled out on the poster - she’d have her own announcement same as Elton. 

But… it’s not happening unless BST does and there’s no time to sell those tickets before Xmas, so where does that leave it all? 

Maybe it’s a bad fit after all.

On the other hand, the fact that they're not announcing anything at all this side of Xmas still indicates that they're waiting to reveal something big. They know that Coldplay will get a muted reaction and that Dua will be a 'fair enough, good on her but it hardly sets the world on fire' sort of response. So they're keeping their powder dry for a reason and Madge / BST is one of the only theories that really fits what we know.

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

Not quite the same but we did have a rumour that Chems were offered Pyramid sub in 2019 but turned it down in favour of their usual slot on Other. That would’ve been an interesting one if they’d have accepted. Doesn’t make any sense to have them headline the Pyramid at this stage of their career though. Yeah they’re still a big act with an incredible live show but there really wouldn’t have been any reason for the bump up other than ‘eh, why not?’

Theres a chance I’ll eat sh*t on this in a couple of years time but I really don’t see Fred getting that gig. Very much feel his run of festival headline slots next year will be his peak and the hype will taper off after that.

Agreed on both. 

Let's see how Fred's popularity is in a year or so's time. If he takes a more commercial turn and collaborates with a few more high profile artists and produces a bunch of radio-friendly unit shifters, I can see it. Right now, he's probably more well known within the dance community. He'll need to do something special to break through that and claim the most famous headline slot in the UK. There's a part of me that would like to see it. 

8 hours ago, cinnamoncola said:

Reading&Leeds headliners look much better to me than the rumoured trio for Glasto. Dua/Coldplay/Madonna seems very pop-centric and not all that appealing if you're not a lover of mainstream pop. So while I don't listen to any of them, lots of other people love them, so yeah - very subjective

They do to me as well. It's all subjective of course.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skip997 said:

If those are the headliners I'm unlikely to bother with any of them, maybe Madge, clash dependent. 

All the big festival line-ups I've seen so far are dreadful, here and abroad.

As for first DJ act top the Pyramid - 2000 - Chemical Brothers, but anyway I'd be all up for a top DJ headling the Pyramid.

Are chemical brothers a DJ act?

They do both, but when they play live they are an Electronic act.

I would distinguish an act playing their own music electronically either with instruments or software from a DJ who is playing other people's music(and maybe mixing in their own stuff, maybe not).

But yeah, it's been too long since there has been a big Electronic act headlined the pyramid, think Basement Jaxx was the last in 2006.

Moby before that in 2003.

Fred again does DJ but his set last year was live from what I could tell

3 hours ago, incident said:

I would consider both exceptionally unlikely.

Certainly for 2024, and probably ever.

I agree, not next year for sure. 

I would put the weeknd in the "quite likely one day" category. Dependent on tour dates. He is a massive pop act right? Commercially successful but not really cheesy (your milage on this point may vary).

8 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I agree, not next year for sure. 

I would put the weeknd in the "quite likely one day" category. Dependent on tour dates. He is a massive pop act right? Commercially successful but not really cheesy (your milage on this point may vary).

I thought after his last album and world tour he was a tap in for a headliner. In fact, I was slightly disappointed he wasn't. Love his synth sound matched with his voice. He 100% feels inevitable, and it will be great.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

The Weeknd is one of those acts that should feel like a slam dunk to me but I just don’t see happening anytime soon for some reason - money maybe? 

Yeah - there were reports a few years ago that he's crazy expensive to book, and unlikely to cut the rate for any festival.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He won't be this popular forever. Festivals will started to look a bit more attractive once one of his albums stiffs.

The way it was said, I don't think the objection was to festivals in general, just the idea that he'd play one for less than his "going rate". Hence only agreeing to do Coachella when they offered a reported $8.5 million.

And tbh given he's currently able to earn millions per show, then by now he's probably already more than set for life and that's even factoring a typical pop-star lifestyle wasting millions on all kinds of sh*t.

The way I look at it - if he ever plays, it's because he's suddenly decided that it's something he needs to do regardless of the cash - which doesn't appear to be on the cards any time soon. This is total speculation on my part, but I get the impression that he's the kind of act that would sooner retire from music (and not miss it) rather than decline and end up playing clubs.