2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Prodigy

Idles

The National

I know we think we might have two female pop headliners this year so a good chance they counter those with something guitar-y on Other, but this looks far too rock-centric to be legit imo, and likely they’d want at least one of them to be a female act, so most likely whoever’s up against Coldplay. 

40 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Well yeah, but a couple of people here are adamant they’re at or will soon be at that level come their new album release so I’ve stopped trying to convince them otherwise.

I can't see Idles ever being big enough for The Other Stage headline... Woodsies, definitely but not Other

5 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

It was. I tried to discount Coldplay as I’d seen them before (and at Glastonbury) but had only seen LCD once previously and never seen EW&F. So it was a choice between them. But there was a point in the evening, after underwhelming ELO and Band of Horses sets, stood in a muddy and sparsely populated Other field waiting for PJ Harvey, that I started to think of going to the Pyramid as they were the safe bet.

Coldplay looked amazing but LCD is one of my favourite ever sets on the farm so can’t complain too much.

I heard it let NOBODY down! Band of Horses was weird. Only got going with 15 to go. I went back the car during ELO! Got back for Mister Blue Sky!

25 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Too big.

Really? I love Idles but wouldn’t say that they are bigger than Sigur Ros, Suede, Hot Chip etc who have all been recent headliners in Woodsies. I actually think they would possibly be better in a tent as well. The Other stage can be so hit and miss with the atmosphere. 

Edited by gigpusher

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Too big.

No way. They're popular in a specific subculture. They've had just one of their 4 albums go to number 1, and the last only peaked at number 3.

They've only spent a total of 3 weeks in the top 100 singles charts.

Last time they played, they had a middle billing on Other, and haven't got much bigger since.

Other headline tends to be arena stature bands, whilst Pyramid is stadium and Woodsies/Park/West Holts tend to be bigger academy/Ally Pally sized acts.

Idles fit very well into just one of those categories, and it doesn't put them on Other.

33 minutes ago, K2SO said:.

Other headline tends to be arena stature bands, whilst Pyramid is stadium and Woodsies/Park/West Holts tend to be bigger academy/Ally Pally sized acts.

I haven’t thought about the distinction this way before but it makes sense!! Perhaps a few exceptions, I don’t think Kendrick or Billie are stadium level.. but as a general rule it works!!

I'd argue that it has only been since the 2016 trio of Muse / Adele / Coldplay that we've moved to a uniform level of Pyramid stadium headliners. Radiohead, Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran were all at stadium level or at the very least about to step up for full stadium runs in 2017, and our 2023 trio of Arctic Monkeys / Guns N' Roses / Elton John were all stadium level.

But I'd argue that Pyramid headliners can still be just massive arena acts, the kind who can sell out a ten-date tour here in the blink of an eye. (Kendrick Lamar still technically fell shy of that, but few seemed to argue about the sense of booking him after his set.)