2024 Headliners

On 11/19/2023 at 9:55 PM, Superscally said:

I heard it let NOBODY down! Band of Horses was weird. Only got going with 15 to go. I went back the car during ELO! Got back for Mister Blue Sky!

That Sunday night paid out for everyone. Only fair after the mud and rain.

BOH were really off colour. I’d seen them before and they were great at creating a real bonhomie. There was none of that at Glastonbury, which was a shame as they got a really big crowd. Read after that the singer had a little kid he was missing and they were all really homesick.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye Madonna famously has no hits.

Here he is 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm just being facetious, Gaga would be incredible on the Pyramid. There's no doubt though, that she's bitten much of Madonna's act.

As much as the prospect of Madonna headlining would be another boost for the festival's legacy, Gaga playing weirdly excites me more.

Oh, I absolutely won't deny the former. She's definitely pulled a slew of cuts from Madge's back catalogue, though I would argue her best are the ones either more original or taken from elsewhere.

And you wouldn't be the only one excited!

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Surely Lana's never coming back after this year?

Regardless of whether she does or not, still too soon. A touch of irony there, perhaps.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Surely Lana's never coming back after this year?

I agree it's very unlikely.  A headline slot would likely smooth things over between both parties, but I dunno if the Eavii would want to be the farm on someone who may show up late yet again.

Looks like the Primavera poster is a fake any road.

38 minutes ago, Mcbatesman said:

I read nick caves book earlier in the year and he said something along the lines of "where we see ourselves musically now is completely different to what we were" might be something to do with that

Huh. Interesting. There does seem to be a vested interest in latter-day material - or at least until the last run of shows.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I agree it's very unlikely.  A headline slot would likely smooth things over between both parties, but I dunno if the Eavii would want to be the farm on someone who may show up late yet again.

Looks like the Primavera poster is a fake any road.

They've booked performers with flaky records to headline in past such as Kanye who was walking out on shows leading up to the set, and they even got Axl Rose to show up early this year, but it depends how soured the relationship between LDR and the fest has become.

Lana strikes me as the type to hold a grudge too, if she feels slighted by being cut off then she won't rush back to table either.

Edited by Hugh Jass II

1 hour ago, OllieMadd said:

Finally, the person to tell this story to! 

DLD is my favourite Nick Cave album, so when I met him I said look man, why do you do this to me? You never play this album at all!

And he said that he agrees that it's a great album, and funny, but that the Bad Seeds and Warren Ellis in particular hate playing songs from that album and want to distance themselves from it, and that it's a shame.

Agree that's a shame as I too think it's great and the songs would fit nicely with the set they've been playing recently. Guess they were also in Grinderman mode around then as well, so maybe Warren and the lads prefer that stuff. Oddly enough, Vortex sounds like it should be on it (probably why they didn't put it on the Grinderman album, just reused some of the lyrics) and that's surfaced in the last tour, so maybe Warren is warming to some tunes from that era!

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They've booked performers with flaky records to headline in past such as Kanye who was walking out on shows leading up to the set, and they even got Axl Rose to show up early this year, but it depends how soured the relationship between LDR and the fest has become.

Lana strikes me as the type to hold a grudge too, if she feels slighted by being cut off then she won't rush back to table either.

Not just the starting late, but the whole crying over poster placement thing. I reckon Bridges have been burnt, if I was the festival, I wouldn't contemplate having her back.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just one bit of hearsay from one post - but the same source was also iffy on Dua Lipa, who's likely a lock.

She's back over here in a couple of weeks for more dates, hopefully while she's in the country she can put pen to paper once and for all.

Her show was absolutely phenomenal.

41 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

Here are some random artists that have at least one day free over the Glasto weekend. All American (afaik). All fairly reasonable shouts. Eliminate them and see who's left.

The Killers, Foo Fighters, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Olivia Rodrigo, Lady Gaga, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Eagles, Stevie Wonder, Bruno Mars, Neil Young, Beyonce, Drake, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kings of Leon, Eminem, Green Day, N-Sync, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stevie Knicks.

Off the top of my head I think you can scratch a few off this list immediately (I haven't removed people who I just don't think will play because the "face doesn't fit" with a Pyramid headliner slot but I would include Billy Joel, Bruno Mars, Kings Of Leon, Bon Jovi and probably the Eagles in that)....

The Killers - Headlined too recently, probably will again but not for a while.

Foo Fighters - Played this year.  Think it'll be a a while before they are back properly now

Madonna

Bruce Springsteen

Olivia Rodrigo

Lady Gaga

Bob Dylan - previously played and didn't want to headline...a lot has changed since then.

Billy Joel

Bon Jovi

Eagles

Stevie Wonder - His set was an all timer - Don't feel like he will be back, he's in Las Vegas concert territory

Bruno Mars

Neil Young (Canadian)

Beyonce

Drake (Canadian)

Outkast - Are they active at the moment?  Previously headlined West Holts, so don't think they are big enough

Jay Z - Don't think he is active at the moment

KOL

Eminem

Green Day - IOW Exclusive

NSYNC- I don't think they have reformed.  Even if they did they wouldn't get a shot at headliner 

Red Hot Chilli Peppers 

Stevie Nicks - think it would be a legend not headliner slot

Just listening to Emily E's podcast appearance again. It's not actually definitely a headliner she's talking about when mentioning the call from the 'really big American artist' is it? That might be a conclusion we've jumped to. She says 'it was taking shape' before the call came, which sounds like the wider lineup she's referring to rather than headliners necessarily?