2024 Headliners

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If anyone will go the extra mile for the G it's the Play.

Bigger question is what they're gonna pull out the bag if they want to top last time.

You’re right. They would have spent an enormous amount in 2011 making the projections on the side of the Pyramid work for that one song (!) so probably wouldn’t be too concerned with staging a unique production just for Glasto..

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

When all of you lot want your lads to bring it home ( lol ) and maybe actually come here to watch the matches? Yeah, its called tourism. Or they just have the festival and then England can play a knock out round match during Taylor Swift on Saturday night and youll have to make a choice on what to watch. So you can cry your eyes out at either event. 

What?

1 hour ago, Mark H said:

Could the counter theory here be that if they aren’t playing any other festivals the chance of Glastonbury actually reduces as they won’t have a festival specific production? 

Coldplay have historically found a way to make their stadium show work for festivals (2005 was followed by their first ever stadium-sized tour at Crystal Palace, Bolton and Bellahouston Park; 2016 was a week after they played a run of shows at Wembley and Amsterdam… 2011 was the only time they’ve done a whole summer of festivals before they put the album out since 2002 and Rush of Blood). 2011 and 2016 showed that they find ways of crowbarring they special stuff into the Pyramid field - those projector towers that Michael thought were for U2, the wristbands in 2016, the Barry Gibb but (even if someone on the Bazza side blabbed to The Sun several months out)

OK, putting it out there - it’s Coldplay, Dua, plus one. I have no idea who the plus one is - Rihanna, Madonna, someone else - but I think that’s two of the three.

(I reckon Dua was the woman who Emily said was signed, and the other woman that was still up in the air was Rihanna or Madonna, and that won’t be settled for a while… and could be neither of those two if their plans have changed)

I heard from someone who works for a record label that he'd heard on the grapevine it was Coldplay prior to the tour being announced. 

He stressed this wasn't solid info, just industry gossip which he'd initially just ignored as he thought their tour was winding up in the new year.

He's given me spot on info in the past on acts he's actually involved in but like he said, there's nothing solid in this but adds a bit to the speculation. 

10 hours ago, Suprefan said:

When all of you lot want your lads to bring it home ( lol ) and maybe actually come here to watch the matches? Yeah, its called tourism. Or they just have the festival and then England can play a knock out round match during Taylor Swift on Saturday night and youll have to make a choice on what to watch. So you can cry your eyes out at either event. 

Do you ever post anything doesn't make you sound like an angry teenager?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I heard from someone who works for a record label that he'd heard on the grapevine it was Coldplay prior to the tour being announced. 

He stressed this wasn't solid info, just industry gossip which he'd initially just ignored as he thought their tour was winding up in the new year.

He's given me spot on info in the past on acts he's actually involved in but like he said, there's nothing solid in this but adds a bit to the speculation. 

I think we're into "make your peace with it" territory with Coldplay now.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Emily has said two females though. So on recent info/tour dates that would eliminate DM. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

"Two females" could have been before Rhianna fell pregnant again or Madge fell ill.

Yeah this. She said they're trying for two female headliners, not that they had two booked.

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

Coldplay have historically found a way to make their stadium show work for festivals (2005 was followed by their first ever stadium-sized tour at Crystal Palace, Bolton and Bellahouston Park; 2016 was a week after they played a run of shows at Wembley and Amsterdam… 2011 was the only time they’ve done a whole summer of festivals before they put the album out since 2002 and Rush of Blood). 2011 and 2016 showed that they find ways of crowbarring they special stuff into the Pyramid field - those projector towers that Michael thought were for U2, the wristbands in 2016, the Barry Gibb but (even if someone on the Bazza side blabbed to The Sun several months out)

Good perspective. Thanks! 

(I thought those towers must have been for U2 as well at first. Was a massive production build for one song)

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I think we're into Coldplay + Dua and it's all to play for for the third slot.

I'm going with Depeche Mode for now going off @sisco's info that they've pencilled Glasto in.

The 1975, Madonna or Rihanna also possible.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I'm going with Depeche Mode for now going off @sisco's info that they've pencilled Glasto in.

Didn’t realise there’s info re DM. 

So Coldplay, Dua plus one from DM, Rhi Rhi, Madge and Titface and The Lads. 

I've personally concluded due to lack of viable female options that either Rihanna or Madonna (probably Rihanna) were in talks and negotiations fell through.

Friday - Dave

Saturday - Dua Lipa

Sunday - Coldplay

Can't get much more balanced than that

Edited by JonSnow

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Tbf, I was told they’d pencilled in the dates as they want to play it, I have chased him but he changed the subject and we talked about something else. 

Right now I’ve seen a few good bits of info about Coldplay (before the tour dates too) so if I’m honest I can’t see it not being them now.  If we then believe what Emily put about the 2 females then I’d be surprised if DM get a headliner spot. 

I’m not so sure Coldplay are a lock. Doesn’t sound like there’s any solid info about them, just speculative whispers. I see Coldplay with a GSH in the same way as Metallica - both have at least one super fan of the festival which means they’re unlikely to be on tour during the last weekend of June. Doesn’t mean they’re playing.  

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m not so sure Coldplay are a lock. Doesn’t sound like there’s any solid info about them, just speculative whispers. I see Coldplay with a GSH in the same way as Metallica - both have at least one super fan of the festival which means they’re unlikely to be on tour during the last weekend of June. Doesn’t mean they’re playing.  

Agree, that gap between 25th June and 12th July could just be a break, though they'll have only been out for 3 weeks at that point. 

Glastonbury as a one off without any other UK dates feels a little off although they did do quite an extensive set of UK stadiums this year.

Edited by Gnomicide

43 minutes ago, sisco said:

Tbf, I was told they’d pencilled in the dates as they want to play it, I have chased him but he changed the subject and we talked about something else. 

Right now I’ve seen a few good bits of info about Coldplay (before the tour dates too) so if I’m honest I can’t see it not being them now.  If we then believe what Emily put about the 2 females then I’d be surprised if DM get a headliner spot. 

Any chance of DM for legend ? Or is it headliner or nothing ?