2024 Headliners

50 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Saw them at Milton Keynes in 2014 and had a really fun time, then Birmingham in 2017, which was less fun (imo not the band's fault, as I really didn't like the crowd). But does feel like seeing them pre-Sex on Fire and post-Sex on Fire make for real different experiences. You absolutely can tell in recordings that the energy levels and crowd enthusiasm for other stuff hits different.

Yeah definitely. I saw them at Leeds in 2007 when the third album was taking off and it was a riot all the way through. Things really changed after that, I saw them again at Leeds in 2009 and it was a really different night. Kind of lost track of them after that but the gig in 2018 was great, and the crowd had a more even energy rather than just waiting for the big 2.

7 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Fancied Rihanna to do it but then I stayed up late and watched her stink out the Super Bowl.

Loved the chat back in the day about how she was getting carried about backstage at T in the park to avoid touching that awful grass stuff*. Word was folks weren’t allowed to look at her 🤣

* I have no evidence that any of this is true apart from the Superbowl which was clearly sh*t.

I remember hearing that story 😆 Can’t wait until she smells Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

FWIW as a big 1975 I think they are completely nailed on for Glasto 2024, heard many rumours about the last two years (being back ups and being f**ked over by Eavis' for other acts) and it's a now or never moment for them. Dua and OROD for my other two guesses, OROD being a UK festival exclusive (won't be pitched as such as glasto never do)

Is Olivia Rodrigo really big enough to headline Glastonbury? Seems a stretch. If it’s Dua and The 1975 you’d think the 3rd will be a big hitter like Madonna. Gonna say it’ll only be 1 female headliner and it’ll be Dua Lipa/The 1975/Harry Styles as headliners. This will probably change on the daily though. 

4 minutes ago, foolee said:

Is Olivia Rodrigo really big enough to headline Glastonbury? Seems a stretch. If it’s Dua and The 1975 you’d think the 3rd will be a big hitter like Madonna. Gonna say it’ll only be 1 female headliner and it’ll be Dua Lipa/The 1975/Harry Styles as headliners. This will probably change on the daily though. 

Agree the third will probably be someone more established if two are 1975 and Dua, but Olivia Rodrigo is definitely big enough now.

15 minutes ago, foolee said:

Madonna is still far too iffy for me, but agree she could easily replace OROD on that final lineup with OROD doing a WH headline slot

Depeche Mode are a lock guys, get over it.

It's realistically one of the last years they could play, they still pack stadiums, since Fletcher died they have been more concerned about legacy than money, and they are the perfect counter-booking to the two other pop headliners.

I am absolutely convinced Depeche is a lock next year.

3 minutes ago, Isaact said:

It's realistically one of the last years they could play, they still pack stadiums, since Fletcher died they have been more concerned about legacy than money, and they are the perfect counter-booking to the two other pop headliners.

Would be way better than The 1975. But it's far from a lock.

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Would feel like unprecedented levels of ‘throwing caution to the wind’ for a fest that has become incredibly risk-averse over the last decade. Just one of Dua or Olivia would be ballsy, two in the same year feels like a stretch too far unfortunately. 

COMPLETELY agree. Olivia is 100% not going to headline Glastonbury.

9 hours ago, goldfishboy said:

i feel like 1975/rihanna/madonna is too much pop, you need one group of greasy people with guitars to make up the glastonbury stew

I think it’s what’s going to happen. Glastonbury knows the future of music tbh 

Edited by O'Doyle Rules

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

It's kinda wild to think Kings of Leon's set at Glastonbury 2008 was in the year Sex on Fire and Use Somebody were released, but was before those two came out and changed the dynamic of ever KoL set forevermore to just be full of people only interested in those two songs.

Tbf KOL 07 and 08 were a band at the top of their game. I don’t think many deny the fact they really were superb at the height of their powers.

f**king SELLOUTS though.

3 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

COMPLETELY agree. Olivia is 100% not going to headline Glastonbury.

Yet.

Again, releasing one album that did well and then having a really good festival performance doesnt make you an instant headliner just cause theres nobody else and you have a new album coming. Billie toured the world twice before she ended up headlining but that gets overseen a little bit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Yet.

Again, releasing one album that did well and then having a really good festival performance doesnt make you an instant headliner just cause theres nobody else and you have a new album coming. Billie toured the world twice before she ended up headlining but that gets overseen a little bit.

Olivia is not Billie. Absolutely no comparison in terms of popularity.

Ive been to Glastonbury 11 times and only once or twice did a headliner feel “wtf”. She would be.

Sure I've seen a few instances of Depeche Mode being weirdly up their own arse when it comes to Glasto. I remember an article a few years ago where they said they turned it down one year because they didn't like the rest of the line-up. Not really in the spirit of things imo.

4 hours ago, Isaact said:

What made them change their mind about accepting the lower fee?

6 hours ago, northernangel said:

I agree with this, they are giving people female headlining acts what they want, who would be around. I can't see them punting for Olivia quite yet or Rihanna turning it down. I'm sure she is well aware what a Glastonbury set could do for her right now. I mean it's very underwhelming and I could see a mass of tickets chucked back in. There will already be people I imagine deciding to head to Ireland that weekend for Taylor as Wembley will be ridiculous to get tickets for. 

I remember back to the days when the AM / GnR / Elton line up was going to generate a mass return of tickets.