2024 Headliners

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Its warranted because Emily made the mistake of admitting that Lizzo couldve headlined and that her name was bumped on the poster just to make it "look" not as bad when it came to the headliners. And for some reason she hadnt locked down Lizzo sooner which is just plain weird. If youre working right this second to get acts for next year you make em sign on the dotted line now. I mean its understandable why they barely made any announcements on this last festival cycle and that the initial lineup was much smaller cause they were having trouble in other areas, but still. And the other thing when it comes to her saying nobody wants to nurture and bring up new female acts to get to the top of the bill then she should take it upon herself to make the leap instead of waiting around. If she wants to do her 3 female headline billing then just do it and stop trying to keep the lawn chair crowd happy.

I have no problem with it being 3 female headliners, but I don’t like that it has to have a point being made in doing it.

It shouldn’t be I’m going to book 3 female headliners because it makes a statement or it makes up for the year before. It should always be on merit & how the cards fall.

If 3 women are available at the same time that you really want great. I just don’t like the idea that everything has a motive other than are they big enough & can they do it.

29 minutes ago, Rodders2023 said:

I have no problem with it being 3 female headliners, but I don’t like that it has to have a point being made in doing it.

It shouldn’t be I’m going to book 3 female headliners because it makes a statement or it makes up for the year before. It should always be on merit & how the cards fall.

If 3 women are available at the same time that you really want great. I just don’t like the idea that everything has a motive other than are they big enough & can they do it.

The fest has an unfortunate recent history of booking women lower down the bill than they merit, including multiple instances of headline-sized female acts playing second fiddle to men (F+TM, Katy Perry, Lizzo). So it’s an improvement if they’re now slightly over-promoting women rather than under-billing them. Although Dua Lipa is clearly headline sized by any normal metric anyway. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Emily said nothing about bumping Lizzo up on the poster.

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Its warranted because Emily made the mistake of admitting that Lizzo couldve headlined and that her name was bumped on the poster just to make it "look" not as bad when it came to the headliners. 

She did nothing of the sort. She just said that she could headline 

11 hours ago, Amy Lawn said:

God imagine being Emily Eavis, you've spent the last 20 years doing such an amazing job of keeping Glastonbury up to date and totally refreshing its entire vibe and making it bigger than ever, and then you get goddamn Rihanna booked for next year. Then she gets preggers and drops out and everyone yells at you and calls you sexist for it.

Even worse. She then commits the cardinal sin of not telling a 100 million selling, stadium touring act to wait a few months to see if Lizzo says yes. What was she thinking? She thought she was being clever by getting a huge headliner nailed down to fill the gap, in a year when budgets are being cut and ticket prices shooting up. She should have listened to the Internet. The Internet knows best.

Taylor, Madonna and Dua all could do it, all worthy of doing it and will be in their touring lifecycles to do it. Also creates a rare op to have three female headliners if a statement wants to be made (without it feeling like its been done to make a statement).

Whether that's all too "poppy" for Glasto that's another thing, but if you combine it with a more traditional Other lineup they may just about get away with it.

(Riri will have a 10 month year old by that point, highly likely she ain't be doing it....pencil her in for 2025 though).

Edited by nban2010

12 hours ago, Drinky said:

Paramore would be a likely Other headliner I reckon

Their number of worldwide monthly listeners is larger than many of the headliners who have been suggested here, and not far from Guns N Roses. I guess this is similar to Lizzo this year.

Still yet to see a coherent explanation from all the 'Taylor can still do it' posters as to why and how she is likely to;

a) Change her 44 song, 3 hour Eras tour stadium setlist that she's been performing for a year which is crammed full of dance chorography tailored around a stadium stage and set up to suddenly play a one off completely new 2 hour set tailored for a festival stage and set up

b) Find time to possibly rehearse this show when she's in the middle of said stadium tour

Edited by JonSnow

13 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Their number of worldwide monthly listeners is larger than many of the headliners who have been suggested here, and not far from Guns N Roses. I guess this is similar to Lizzo this year.

Guess it depends who else is available. They certainly could headline and not look completely out of place in terms of size. If the fest one day goes down the pop-punk route it’d certainly be a more interesting booking than Green Day. 

While the number of monthly Spotify listeners is an interesting metric, it frequently does not correlate with demand to see an act live.

https://kworb.net/spotify/listeners.html

Maneskin and Foo Fighters have similar numbers. I don't think there's much argument about who should headline and who should be afternoon in Woodsies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The fest has an unfortunate recent history of booking women lower down the bill than they merit, including multiple instances of headline-sized female acts playing second fiddle to men (F+TM, Katy Perry, Lizzo).

I think you're well off the mark here. Katy Perry played the right slot for her, she absolutely wasn't a headliner. She was a big draw but she was not a headliner. Florence apparently only wanted a Friday slot and Foo Fighters were booked in. Lizzo has already been explained. 

You could maybe look at something like Miley Cyrus' placing below Vampire Weekend and make a point that she's obviously the bigger act, but there again was the spot right after Kylie really a smaller slot than right before The Cure? The Legend slot being the bigger of the day throws it in the air a bit, and also if she'd taken the VW slot she'd have clashed with Billie Eilish which a lot of people wouldn't have liked.

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Thats the wrong kind of counter programming. Other headliner against Dua would be like QOTSA. Paramore should sub Dua more than anything if they were same day. You must not know what kind of music Paramore plays.

I love Paramore, but I think that’s the kind of counter programming you need, give people a decision to make

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

While the number of monthly Spotify listeners is an interesting metric, it frequently does not correlate with demand to see an act live.

https://kworb.net/spotify/listeners.html

Maneskin and Foo Fighters have similar numbers. I don't think there's much argument about who should headline and who should be afternoon in Woodsies. 

I had never seen the full list. I guess you are right!

33 minutes ago, Amy Lawn said:

I think you're well off the mark here. Katy Perry played the right slot for her, she absolutely wasn't a headliner. She was a big draw but she was not a headliner. 

Perhaps but she was also below The National and there’s no way they’re bigger than her, musicality arguments be damned.

The usual (entirely reasonable) counter would be that if you can book acts like F+TM in non-headlining spots then it makes the whole of the bill look stronger, but it’s just unfortunate that it seems to happen more often to female/female-fronted acts. George Ezra is the only example I can think of in the last decade of a man subbing that could’ve headlined without many questions being asked. Before that probably Kasabian in 2009. 

32 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

I would put money on The Spice Girls headlining one night next year now they have confirmed they'd want to do it

Next year marks 10 years since the last properly, undeniably pants headliner so I guess it’s as good a time as any for that golden run to come to an end