2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

christ.  I'm not even a pink floyd fan, but if I were Emily and Michael, I'd have just done it on the Thursday and apologized later and paid the fee.  

Clearly not a Glastonbury fan either as they'd 100% lose their license!

On 3/30/2023 at 9:16 PM, AVALON.G said:

For  me it's clearly not Dua Lipa in 24.

I'm sure playing Gladtonbury for the first implies In any capacity not specifically headliner and as Dua Lipa has played John Peel twice, Pussy Parlour and BBC introducing. 

It can only be Dua if she is the third headliner and not either of the 2 being referred to here. 

Screenshot_20230330-211156_Chrome.jpg

What happened to Pussy Parlour?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cidermonkey said:

The Sunday of the festival is always the last Sunday in June.

Next year the last Sunday in June is the 30th

That would be good, my boss told me yesterday she's booked 2 weeks off in June next year but if it's the weekend you said she'll be back before the festival.

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

There'll be 3 or 4 more inc this one.

Very tidy, very tidy.

Either The 1975 / Dua Lipa / Depeche Mode or Sam Fender / Taylor Swift / Depeche Mode, for my current hedged bets. (The ongoing discourse over how much of Matty Healy's questionable stage antics are "meta"-staged or just bad will likely continue to torpedo this for a while, though let the record show Glastonbury are no strangers to booking temperamental tossers either.)

13 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Very tidy, very tidy.

Either The 1975 / Dua Lipa / Depeche Mode or Sam Fender / Taylor Swift / Depeche Mode, for my current hedged bets. (The ongoing discourse over how much of Matty Healy's questionable stage antics are "meta"-staged or just bad will likely continue to torpedo this for a while, though let the record show Glastonbury are no strangers to booking temperamental tossers either.)

Well, we know from what Emily said to The Guardian earlier in the year that it's almost certainly two female headliners - I think Taylor is completely and utterly nailed on, as it was implied she dropped out this year, but think it's a toss up between Dua, Madonna and Rihanna for the other gal. Then the third could be bloody anyone.

Not sure about Sam just yet, but Depeche Mode, Bruce, Blur, all seem feasible at the mo

51 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Well, we know from what Emily said to The Guardian earlier in the year that it's almost certainly two female headliners - I think Taylor is completely and utterly nailed on, as it was implied she dropped out this year, but think it's a toss up between Dua, Madonna and Rihanna for the other gal. Then the third could be bloody anyone.

Not sure about Sam just yet, but Depeche Mode, Bruce, Blur, all seem feasible at the mo

I haven't seen as much made about the fact that two of the artists among the five-highest grossing tours of all-time are both there this year, in the shape of Guns N' Roses and Elton John, possibly because there's been plenty of bruha about how stale as a top three this line-up feels after a few more progressive years.

Landing Swift and Springsteen hand-in-hand would be gangbusters by similar metrics. If that was the case, I'd love to see Dua Lipa as that third headliner. Not as enamoured with her sound as many others here, but think she'd be a terrific shout for that Friday night slot.

With no disrespect to Blur, I wonder if they'd be a bit of a naff shout. How much difference will there be between a proverbial 2024 slot and their prior 2009 set? With Springsteen at the very least, you could argue unfinished business given his headline gig isn't considered an all-timer, particularly given the E Street Band's reputation as one of the greatest live acts of the past fifty years. (This also said, if Springsteen was to stick to the static set he's toured this year... probably best he skips Glastonbury, truth be told.)

48 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

With no disrespect to Blur, I wonder if they'd be a bit of a naff shout. How much difference will there be between a proverbial 2024 slot and their prior 2009 set?

Nah, I agree, and I'm quite a big Blur fan (though not big enough to pay £90 to see them at Wembley). I think they've more than had their time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were added in just for the name more than anything

4 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Nah, I agree, and I'm quite a big Blur fan (though not big enough to pay £90 to see them at Wembley). I think they've more than had their time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were added in just for the name more than anything

Wouldn't be surprised either, but it's wildly disappointing. Frankly, feel there are enough options - and enough at the size willing to do it - that you could avoid a single repeat booking in a fifteen-year cycle right now if needed.

Maybe I'm blowing smoke, who knows.

I agree,  I reckon taylor swift is nailed on, then Dua Lipa, Rihanna or Madonna (with Madonna the more unlikely one). Then I wonder if we are in for a returner of Coldplay or Ed Sheeran. Even Foo Fighters wouldn't surprise me. I would love Depeche Mode but it never seems to work out, don't know whether it's a money thing. I keep dreading Coldplay or Muse cos it's been a while now. 

Muse would be wildly disappointing, and I say this as someone who knows Muse could put together a barnstormer of a set.

Coldplay just confirmed their tour will keep running through the end of the year, so who knows. In addition, aren't they meant to be quite cheap when it comes to Glastonbury? There's a ready-made option they can call on if they've blown the budget elsewhere. 

Madonna would not exactly be cheap, though the Celebration Tour absolutely looks like the best time to get her. Hits for days, that one.

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Muse are so far past it it's not even funny. 

Yeah it felt like a pretty dud booking when they were booked to headline in ‘16 so would be a drab state of affairs if they were brought back again. 

Coldplay on the other hand are a constantly looming threat now that it’s been a few years and they’ve talked about packing it up - can’t imagine they’d do that without returning to Glastonbury one last time. 

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I would love Depeche Mode but it never seems to work out, don't know whether it's a money thing.

Are DM still likely to be touring in June next year? I know they're out this summer but if they're not still touring in June next year I would have thought a visit to the farm would be v unlikely, as much as i'd love to see them there.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Are DM still likely to be touring in June next year? I know they're out this summer but if they're not still touring in June next year I would have thought a visit to the farm would be v unlikely, as much as i'd love to see them there.

I reckon they will be. Last time out, they prolonged through a second year and played IOW somewhere near the close of it, if I recall.

European arena shows in early 2024, a string of Latin America performances around the springtime and a closing run of European festivals over the summer. Alternatively, the former leg may be scotched entirely and they might finally do a run in Oceania/Far East. It's 1990 since they last did Japan and 1994 since Australia. That's a stretch though; never massive in either market, so why bother?

58 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah it felt like a pretty dud booking when they were booked to headline in ‘16 so would be a drab state of affairs if they were brought back again. 

Coldplay on the other hand are a constantly looming threat now that it’s been a few years and they’ve talked about packing it up - can’t imagine they’d do that without returning to Glastonbury one last time. 

defo a last resort / rope in for a drop out booking nowadays

On 5/10/2023 at 5:15 AM, cidermonkey said:

The Sunday of the festival is always the last Sunday in June.

Next year the last Sunday in June is the 30th

Officially, the festival is always the last full weekend after the Summer Solstice. The Summer Solstice is usually 21st June, so the Sunday coincides with the last Sunday in June. 

However, in a Leap Year the Solstice is on the 20th June. This hasn't affected this rule in leap years over the last 30 odd years cos the 20th has fallen early in the week. However, next year, the 20th is the Thursday so the first full weekend after is 21st - 23rd. So will be interesting to see if GFL keep to the last weekend in June that it usually is or the official first full weekend after the solstice. 

The only time that last weekend in June does not match first full weekend (Fri - Sun) after the solstice is on a leap year when the 20th falls on a Thursday so I reckon they'll just stick to 28th - 30th, but you never know.

17 minutes ago, LukeCage said:

Officially, the festival is always the last full weekend after the Summer Solstice. The Summer Solstice is usually 21st June, so the Sunday coincides with the last Sunday in June. 

However, in a Leap Year the Solstice is on the 20th June. This hasn't affected this rule in leap years over the last 30 odd years cos the 20th has fallen early in the week. However, next year, the 20th is the Thursday so the first full weekend after is 21st - 23rd. So will be interesting to see if GFL keep to the last weekend in June that it usually is or the official first full weekend after the solstice. 

The only time that last weekend in June does not match first full weekend (Fri - Sun) after the solstice is on a leap year when the 20th falls on a Thursday so I reckon they'll just stick to 28th - 30th, but you never know.

Seems sound!