2024 Headliners

21 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I think Lana and Fred will be great at Reading festival next year but yeah, I'll be 44 at that point.  No way I'm going to go to Reading festival at that age.  I would be interested to know whether anyone has recent experience going to Reading as an older music fan.  Last time I went was 2011 when Pulp/Strokes headlined and even then just did a day as my wife was pregnant.

I'm 47 and I went 2022  on a day ticket for BMTH and Arctics. It was fine. Planning to go for th Blink 182/Spiritbox day next year

Edited by Nestacres
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I think Lana and Fred will be great at Reading festival next year but yeah, I'll be 44 at that point.  No way I'm going to go to Reading festival at that age.  I would be interested to know whether anyone has recent experience going to Reading as an older music fan.  Last time I went was 2011 when Pulp/Strokes headlined and even then just did a day as my wife was pregnant.

Yes, according to @Gnomicide I’m fitting the description! I was working Reading this year and had a lot of trepidation beforehand I admit. I ended up enjoying it greatly and am returning next year, biggest bonus was all the young people I met were great! More info just ask! 

2 hours ago, Nestacres said:

I'm 47 and I went 2022  on a day ticket for BMTH and Arctics. It was fine. Planning to go for th Blink 182/Spiritbox day next year

I went in 22 as well for the same day, (I’m 42) it was fine, yes you feel old at times but not exclusively and means bar queues are easy. I’d go again if the lineup was worth it but wouldn’t want to camp as then I think you really would feel old.
I thought the crowd seemed very tame from the last time I went which was probably 10 years before that, when did crowd surfing stop being a thing, my early Reading memories from the late 90s was just constantly helping people up to go over (I’m 6ft3 and people always seemed to ask me)

45 minutes ago, Barneym said:

I went in 22 as well for the same day, (I’m 42) it was fine, yes you feel old at times but not exclusively and means bar queues are easy. I’d go again if the lineup was worth it but wouldn’t want to camp as then I think you really would feel old.
I thought the crowd seemed very tame from the last time I went which was probably 10 years before that, when did crowd surfing stop being a thing, my early Reading memories from the late 90s was just constantly helping people up to go over (I’m 6ft3 and people always seemed to ask me)

Definitely no to camping but at least getting there and back in a day is fairly staright forward for me. The crowd was quiet - for Arctics moreso than BMTH I thought where the circle pit went quite far back. I think people are too scared of getting hurt crowd surfing now!

12 minutes ago, Franky said:

For the love of god 🤦‍♂️

someone post a link to his music 

Dave was responsible for one of THE viral Glastonbury moments of recent years.  Headlined Reading + Leeds since then too.  Definitely in the conversation, but IMO wouldn't quite fit with Dua Lipa headlining too - that would be 2 pretty "early career" (vs "established") headliners, which I don't think they'd go for.

• Thanks 1

I'm from Belgium and honestly, nobody here has ever heard of Dave before. Stormzy, Central Cee, even Skepta are way bigger here. And with bigger, I mean that they could sell out a venue of +- 2000 tickets. 😀 When Dave came on stage with Central Cee last year, I had no clue who he was and why the crowd went nuts. I checked his music when I came home, & really can't see why he's so big in the UK. Would be a bummer if he headlines (or even subs) for me, but as there are plenty of other stages around I won't complain offcourse.

In the UK at least, Dave is both decently commercially successful, but also VERY critically acclaimed.  He had an Ivor Novello at 20, the Mercury Prize at 21, and has won Brits on each of his album cycles. 

But what he doesn't really have, is a dozen or so songs (or even half a dozen) that most people at a festival would know.  Which makes a Pyramid headline quite difficult I think (although the same could arguably be said of Kendrick Lamar, or even Billie Eilish).

He does put on a great show though - this from last year's Brit Awards was a standout for me:  

45 minutes ago, RutgerGM said:

I'm from Belgium and honestly, nobody here has ever heard of Dave before. Stormzy, Central Cee, even Skepta are way bigger here. And with bigger, I mean that they could sell out a venue of +- 2000 tickets. 😀 When Dave came on stage with Central Cee last year, I had no clue who he was and why the crowd went nuts. I checked his music when I came home, & really can't see why he's so big in the UK. Would be a bummer if he headlines (or even subs) for me, but as there are plenty of other stages around I won't complain offcourse.

No one in Belgium has heard of Dave? Riiiiiiight...

Honestly, just because you're clearly ignorant to the current UK music scene (if you don't know who Dave is then sorry, you just are) that doesn't mean everyone else is.

I absolutely expect Dave to headline Glastonbury at some point in the future and it'll be a great moment when he does.

58 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

No one in Belgium has heard of Dave? Riiiiiiight...

Honestly, just because you're clearly ignorant to the current UK music scene (if you don't know who Dave is then sorry, you just are) that doesn't mean everyone else is.

I absolutely expect Dave to headline Glastonbury at some point in the future and it'll be a great moment when he does.

Offcourse I didn't mean literally no one. And offcourse I'm not 100% up to date with the UK Hiphopscene, I suppose that's quite normal and you guys aren't with other foreign music scenes.

I'm just pointing out he really is way way bigger inside the UK than outside. For example: he played Pukkelpop last year, a Belgian festival, and had a spot at 8 PM in a tent, before Marc Rebillet and Jungle (who headlined the tent). 

And to state it clear: that's totally normal. In Belgium there's also a lot of acts that get headliner spots at Belgian major festivals like Rock Werchter, who'll not get it in other countries. For example Oscar & The Wolf, Bazart, Stromae, Balthazar, and ... Editors 😅

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RutgerGM said:

Offcourse I didn't mean literally no one. And offcourse I'm not 100% up to date with the UK Hiphopscene, I suppose that's quite normal and you guys aren't with other foreign music scenes.

No I'm not, so I wouldn't be moaning about a certain artist headlining a festival in those other music scenes if I wasn't well across them, purely because of personal taste.

You don't only need to be up to date with the UK Hip Hop scene to know Dave. Both of his albums reached no.1 and he has had a dozen top 10 singles. The uncomfortable fact for a few people is he is headline level now and probably will be for the foreseeable & Emily will know this. Whether you like his music or not is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

No I'm not, so I wouldn't be moaning about a certain artist headlining a festival in those other music scenes if I wasn't well across them, purely because of personal taste.

You don't only need to be up to date with the UK Hip Hop scene to know Dave. Both of his albums reached no.1 and he has had a dozen top 10 singles. The uncomfortable fact for a few people is he is headline level now and probably will be for the foreseeable & Emily will know this. Whether you like his music or not is irrelevant.

I'm not sure about that.  Not because he's uncomfortable with the fact but I just don't think he's as well known as even the most recent breakthrough headliners, like Billie and Kendrick.  Other stage headliner, yes - comparable to R/L.

My two pence on this one, but I don't think Dave will ever headline. He's undoubtedly big in the UK, but I don't think he is Glasto headline level. In my opinion, he's Other headline/Pyramid sub level, and I think he's going to end up in that Biffy Clyro sort of loop where he's going to hit a point where the headline slot just isn't going to happen, for whatever reason, but anything lower feels like a bit of a consolation prize.

I'm happy to be proved wrong on this one in the next few years, because we desperately need more headline-calibre acts to break through to get rid of the likes of Coldplay coming back every other year