2024 Festival

Chad888

55 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Is this to stacked? 

Do we call it stacked when its just all the bands that WE like and we are so cynical that we can't possibly imagine it happening?

Paramore // Travis Scott // Blink-182 as a line-up seems R&L

AJ Tracy // Catfish &T Bottlemen // Queens of the Stone Age is a very cheap undercard

Probably a dance act like Charli XCX instead of Courteeners and swap her for Aitch to sub Travis?

Sziget tend to share all the headliners with R&L, and Sizget leaker posted a picture of a blue sky - Travis Scott Skywalker? seems very likely. Blink are nailed on and Paramore are in the area supporting Taylor Swift.

RL242.jpg

Courteeners subbing MSW seems very optimistic

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Is this to stacked? 

Do we call it stacked when its just all the bands that WE like and we are so cynical that we can't possibly imagine it happening?

AJ Tracy // Catfish &T Bottlemen // Queens of the Stone Age is a very cheap undercard

Probably a dance act like Charli XCX instead of Courteeners and swap her for Aitch to sub Travis?

Sziget tend to share all the headliners with R&L, and Sizget leaker posted a picture of a blue sky - Travis Scott Skywalker? seems very likely. Blink are nailed on and Paramore are in the area supporting Taylor Swift.

RL242.jpg

Oh yeah they’re really gonna have 3 of the same headliners as 2014.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Oh yeah they’re really gonna have 3 of the same headliners as 2014.

I think that trio seem unlikely but realistically i'm not sure they would care much about doing this in principle.

Less than 5%, probably less than 2% even would have done both 2014 and 2024.

This lineup in 2014 was genuinely great in hindsight. At least 15 acts that could headline now, and probably another 7 that would be booked to sub.

FR stage with Wolf Alice, X Ambassadors, Hozier, Catfish & Bottleman, Circa Waves. 

R1 stage 1975, Disclosure, Clean Bandit, Kooks, Bombay Bicycle Club, Royal Blood, Courteeners, Chvrches.

Dance Pendulum, Andy C, Annie Mac, Gorgon City, Wilkinson, Sigma, Duke Dumont

1xtra Lizzo, Little Simz, Tempa T, Pusha T, Giggs

Main Stage Arctic Monkeys, QOTSA, Paramore, Blink 182, Macklemore, Imagine Dragons, Vampire Weekend

RL-Line-up-Announcement-02-07-14-900x1436.jpg

20 hours ago, Chad888 said:

This lineup in 2014 was genuinely great in hindsight. At least 15 acts that could headline now, and probably another 7 that would be booked to sub.

FR stage with Wolf Alice, X Ambassadors, Hozier, Catfish & Bottleman, Circa Waves. 

R1 stage 1975, Disclosure, Clean Bandit, Kooks, Bombay Bicycle Club, Royal Blood, Courteeners, Chvrches.

Main Stage Arctic Monkeys, QOTSA, Paramore, Blink 182, Macklemore, Imagine Dragons, Vampire Weekend

You could probably do this with most of the lineups a decade later. Also so many of those acts would be no where near sub level and just wouldn't play R+L nowadays lol.

7 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You could probably do this with most of the lineups a decade later. Also so many of those acts would be no where near sub level and just wouldn't play R+L nowadays lol.

That's a point I've made the last few years, I don't know if it's music that's changed, streaming platforms mean if a band is going to make it they make it straight away and come in near the top of the bill etc.

But there are no acts since it went to the 2 Main Stages that are making it to headline from the undercard.

On 9/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, Chad888 said:

This is one of the lineups that I probably should have gone to but didn't. 2013 arguably too for two days at least as NME Eminem day was quite good for me at the time.

On 9/22/2023 at 12:35 PM, Chad888 said:

Is this to stacked? 

RL242.jpg

the sky could also be Adele "Skyfall" ; Weezer "mr blue sky" ; coldplay "sky full of stars" ; ETC...

so it is not that "very likely" lol

On 9/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, Chad888 said:

I thought it was bland, weak and predictable at the time, but it's light years ahead of the dross we get now.

Any other line-ups that were poorly received when they were announced but looking back seem really strong? 2011 comes to mind for me. Imagine the likes of The Offspring, Deftones, Pulp and Madness being announced for R&L in this day and age.

Edited by VCK

6 hours ago, Matt86 said:

the sky could also be Adele "Skyfall" ; Weezer "mr blue sky" ; coldplay "sky full of stars" ; ETC...

so it is not that "very likely" lol

Yeah i'm sure Weezer are going to headline sziget lol

Coldplay a fair shout tho

• Like 1

Just looking through the past lineups on the R&L site and saw this extremely poor taste write up for 2010:

Reading Festival | Reading 2010 

Carrying another high-quality mixed bag of musical genres, Reading Festival again prepared to deliver an amazing weekend for the crowds. The Friday had master classes in metalcore from A Day To Remember, Canadian rock for the masses from Billy Talent and a virtual greatest hits set from Lostprophets.

I think they need to have a run through and take some bits out

58 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Blink-182, Paramore, QOTSA all played in 2010 and 2014. I don't think 10 years later means that much to them. 

Only Blink headlined in 2010, it’s not the same.

Anyway, they won’t book 3 acts that could have headlined a decade before. It’s clearly not the way headliner bookings have been recently. The only acts that could have headlined a decade before since the 2 main stages have been Arctic Monkeys and The Killers. They’re not gonna suddenly book 3 in one year, especially if those 3 literally headlined in the same year already.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Threads gone quiet.

If you could have 1 Main Stage : 3 headliners, who would be your fantasy pick?

Arctic Monkeys // Kanye West // Foo Fighters would be mine in every single reality. Drake is close behind Kanye, but Kanye has been the guy for me since at least sitting in the park on a Friday night circa 6th form 2007

38 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Threads gone quiet.

Arctic Monkeys // Kanye West // Foo Fighters would be mine in every single reality. Drake is close behind Kanye, but Kanye has been the guy for me since at least sitting in the park on a Friday night circa 6th form 2007

Sadly Kanye will likely never be booked for another show given his controversial views that are closely associated with hate groups…

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Arctic Monkeys // Kanye West // Foo Fighters would be mine in every single reality.

Surprised you’d have Arctics. I love their music but they’re utter dog live.

If we’re going full fantasy then I’d have RATM/ Nick Cave/ Kate Bush, which now that I write it down probably explains why I don’t go to R&L anymore…

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jcarb said:

Sadly Kanye will likely never be booked for another show given his controversial views that are closely associated with hate groups…

I wouldn't bet on that. There's 100s of venues worldwide, someone will book him eventually

9 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Threads gone quiet.

Blur / The White Stripes / The Beatles

This immediately springs to mind but there’s be others I haven’t thought of. Foo Fighters would be up there too.