2024 Festival

Chad888

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

What about those of us that would like to see Paramore but aren't fussed about Taylor Swift? Or at least don't know enough of her songs to join in the inevitable Ticketmaster-breaking rush we're gonna see when those shows actually go on sale?

How many of you are there and how many are willing to buy Reading festival tickets?

Thats the question. Given that Fender, Eilish and Killers haven’t set the sales alight with far fewer tickets sold between them…a year later, the question has to be asked.

I suspect given no shows of their own, you’re right, there will still be a hearty appetite for them. 

I think the main worry with these Swift shows for the organisers, is how many “leaver” girls will be all in for Swift as opposed to Reading with their 2024 music money.

22 minutes ago, Benj said:

How many of you are there and how many are willing to buy Reading festival tickets?

Thats the question. Given that Fender, Eilish and Killers haven’t set the sales alight with far fewer tickets sold between them…a year later, the question has to be asked.

I suspect given no shows of their own, you’re right, there will still be a hearty appetite for them. 

I think the main worry with these Swift shows for the organisers, is how many “leaver” girls will be all in for Swift as opposed to Reading with their 2024 music money.

I'm perfectly aware that the close proximity between the two can count against Reading in terms of what people want to spend their moolah on. Certainly, whatever the number is, it's absolutely less than the total people who are going to try for Swift tickets, which I think is going to be f**king enormous.

I will note that I think there's a possibility Paramore could go "Right, that's 50 shows done in 3 months, let's go home" after the final shows at Wembley the week before R&L rather than do R&L, even if there are gaps for possible side-shows if they so choose.

3 hours ago, Benj said:

Given the number of dates Swift is doing, half the country will have seen them come Reading!

While we’re saying in the 2023 thread what seem like slam dunk bookings are not perhaps delivering the sales when they’ve played every venue in the country. 

I suspect this Swift tour will hit he Reading 2024 ticket sales pretty hard as a whole to be honest, many 100,000s will be committing money and a weekend away etc to that

I think they key here though is that Paramore will be a sub and not have a headline set length meaning Reading ticket buyers will receive a much bigger set. When you come to who would still pay?, I would rather hold back on the Taylor Swift prices personally until later and see how Reading would cater a day with Paramore where for my money I would just get more for me. I would also get a better chance as a decent viewing position etc etc. It is worth noting that in the USA, a main support for Taylor got given time for 8 songs so the sub set doesn't justify you missing them at a festival. It is also a support slot meaning no reason to need to just rattle off greatest hits.

Wembley for example. Doors open 4:30pm. Paramore would be on around 5:45pm at a guess once a fair amount of people are in. 45 mins set leaving time to setup for Taylor. She plays an average of 3hr 15 so even with the full 10:45 curfew finish, and her starting at 7:30pm, the support would need to be off by 6:40 at the very max. 

Realistically for the cost to stand which unless you get golden circle really is not worth at somewhere around £95-£100 most likely. Golden Circle I'd suspect in the £130 to £150 ball park.. 

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

I think they key here though is that Paramore will be a sub and not have a headline set length meaning Reading ticket buyers will receive a much bigger set. When you come to who would still pay?, I would rather hold back on the Taylor Swift prices personally until later and see how Reading would cater a day with Paramore where for my money I would just get more for me. I would also get a better chance as a decent viewing position etc etc. It is worth noting that in the USA, a main support for Taylor got given time for 8 songs so the sub set doesn't justify you missing them at a festival. It is also a support slot meaning no reason to need to just rattle off greatest hits.

Wembley for example. Doors open 4:30pm. Paramore would be on around 5:45pm at a guess once a fair amount of people are in. 45 mins set leaving time to setup for Taylor. She plays an average of 3hr 15 so even with the full 10:45 curfew finish, and her starting at 7:30pm, the support would need to be off by 6:40 at the very max. 

Realistically for the cost to stand which unless you get golden circle really is not worth at somewhere around £95-£100 most likely. Golden Circle I'd suspect in the £130 to £150 ball park.. 

Yup. Just depends how many invest that 100-150 seeing Swift so would otherwise not bother spending the same or more (plus hassle of getting there) to see Paramore.

I don’t think many will choose both and there will be A LOT of people seeing Swift. 

Probably only some of the 16-30 something mainly female market gone though in reality

9 hours ago, Benj said:

Yup. Just depends how many invest that 100-150 seeing Swift so would otherwise not bother spending the same or more (plus hassle of getting there) to see Paramore.

I don’t think many will choose both and there will be A LOT of people seeing Swift. 

Probably only some of the 16-30 something mainly female market gone though in reality

The people going to see Paramore as well may be of the young enough age where the parents haven't taken them for the full thing and so the likes of Reading will be a completely different crowd too. As let's not forgot, there are a hell of a lot of Taylor fans that do needs parents to attend as they are underage. I know I would want the full paramore gig as these days I may only be bothered with around 6 songs she plays so I'd like to maximise the set time I get so I manage to hopefully get those. This is what she they played inside of a 40/50 minutes set whichever one was correct. The setlist would cover 45 minutes max.

It's not too bad to be honest. Misguided Ghosts and Playing God would be good too but judging by their UK sets, they only played the former at one gig.

Screenshot_20230706_093043_Chrome.jpg

On 7/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, northernangel said:

The people going to see Paramore as well may be of the young enough age where the parents haven't taken them for the full thing and so the likes of Reading will be a completely different crowd too. As let's not forgot, there are a hell of a lot of Taylor fans that do needs parents to attend as they are underage. I know I would want the full paramore gig as these days I may only be bothered with around 6 songs she plays so I'd like to maximise the set time I get so I manage to hopefully get those. This is what she they played inside of a 40/50 minutes set whichever one was correct. The setlist would cover 45 minutes max.

It's not too bad to be honest. Misguided Ghosts and Playing God would be good too but judging by their UK sets, they only played the former at one gig.

Screenshot_20230706_093043_Chrome.jpg

I still think there's a not-zero chance Paramore just do the Taylor Swift shows and not bother with their own dates, or indeed, this 2024 event. They're in perfect territory for a "Just one more week" type deal, but could go either way.

Maybe that's idea of both a minimal set and it being attached to a huge deal that I'm not as fussed by is part of why I was hopeful of the idea of them as Capaldi's replacement this yeah, though I probably floated it because as a big Killers fan and someone who has started listening to Paramore a lot in recent months, I was just doing my own wish-fulfilment which I know is guaranteed not to happen.

There's certainly demand to see Paramore here - sold out all their arena dates in April, which makes me think they likely could've sold out one or two more if they'd been added. It's not quite Swift level, but then few acts out there right now are fetching the kind of numbers she's likely to get applying for her upcoming tour.

Wait and see right?

19 hours ago, charlierc said:

I still think there's a not-zero chance Paramore just do the Taylor Swift shows and not bother with their own dates, or indeed, this 2024 event. They're in perfect territory for a "Just one more week" type deal, but could go either way.

Maybe that's idea of both a minimal set and it being attached to a huge deal that I'm not as fussed by is part of why I was hopeful of the idea of them as Capaldi's replacement this yeah, though I probably floated it because as a big Killers fan and someone who has started listening to Paramore a lot in recent months, I was just doing my own wish-fulfilment which I know is guaranteed not to happen.

There's certainly demand to see Paramore here - sold out all their arena dates in April, which makes me think they likely could've sold out one or two more if they'd been added. It's not quite Swift level, but then few acts out there right now are fetching the kind of numbers she's likely to get applying for her upcoming tour.

Wait and see right?

Zero chance of Paramore having been the step in, especially if they are booked next August. They have played it very clever for me to be around earlier in the year for a long time but just for much shorter sets. I expect Reading to be their closing UK dates on this album on a UK festival exclusive.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:30 AM, K2SO said:

On Friday, at their Leeds Millennium Square gig, Serge went to leave the stage at the end of the show, ran back and said "Oh yeah, see you next year"

They’ve done the rounds more than enough now in their current form to headline again, would be a very sensible booking

8 hours ago, northernangel said:

Zero chance of Paramore having been the step in, especially if they are booked next August. They have played it very clever for me to be around earlier in the year for a long time but just for much shorter sets. I expect Reading to be their closing UK dates on this album on a UK festival exclusive.

Well as we have the stand-in confirmed and it's not Paramore, I can stop those aspirations now.

I guess we shall see if they do indeed stick around for it or decide the Taylor Swift stuff is enough.

51 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well as we have the stand-in confirmed and it's not Paramore, I can stop those aspirations now.

I guess we shall see if they do indeed stick around for it or decide the Taylor Swift stuff is enough.

A chance to headline R&L outright a week later off of the back of a huge comeback and their biggest sales to date in the UK...they would be mad to. Reading have got a real opportunity to book 3 headliners that would make a lot of previous long time goes think....f**k that's good. I genuinely think they could book them along with Blink and FF. Reading aren't a festival who produce themselves in trying to get a rap or hip hop artists etc. If it happens it does. They will have no end of options for the MSW as well with Fred Again being a quite easy guess.

If they booked those headliners, I wouldn't camp, but I don't think I'd pass up on an arena only weekend option.

38 minutes ago, northernangel said:

A chance to headline R&L outright a week later off of the back of a huge comeback and their biggest sales to date in the UK...they would be mad to. Reading have got a real opportunity to book 3 headliners that would make a lot of previous long time goes think....f**k that's good. I genuinely think they could book them along with Blink and FF. Reading aren't a festival who produce themselves in trying to get a rap or hip hop artists etc. If it happens it does. They will have no end of options for the MSW as well with Fred Again being a quite easy guess.

If they booked those headliners, I wouldn't camp, but I don't think I'd pass up on an arena only weekend option.

Blink, Paramore, Rodrigo, Playboi Carti, Fred Again, SZA

Probably way too expensive now I’ve written it down, would get the punters in though

Do think Olivia will probably be too big for MSW by next August, but felt like giving another shot at a mock.

Fri-

MSE: Fred Again.. / Headie One / DMA's

MSW: Olivia Rodrigo / Rudimental (Live) / Dominic Fike

Dance: Wilkinson / Bou / venbee

FR: Skindred / The Last Dinner Party

1Xtra: Nines / CASISDEAD

Sat-

MSE: SZA / The Wombats / Ice Spice

MSW: Tame Impala / Fontaines D.C / Beabadoobee

Dance: Hannah Laing / WEISS / Jazzy

FR: Lizzy McAlpine / TV Girl

1Xtra: Jeremih / Sexyy Red

Sun-

MSE: Blink-182 / Thirty Seconds to Mars / CHVRCHES

MSW: J Hus / Metro Boomin / RAYE

Dance: Sonny Fodera / D.O.D / Switch Disco

FR: Girl in Red / Mom Jeans.

1Xtra: FLO / HEX

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Blink, Paramore, Rodrigo, Playboi Carti, Fred Again, SZA

Probably way too expensive now I’ve written it down, would get the punters in though

I say FF because I don't know of FF not doing Reading on an album although they could return in 25. I don't see Rodrigo above sub. Fred and SZA are good shots for MSW

23 minutes ago, stanh said:

Do think Olivia will probably be too big for MSW by next August, but felt like giving another shot at a mock.

Fri-

MSE: Fred Again.. / Headie One / DMA's

MSW: Olivia Rodrigo / Rudimental (Live) / Dominic Fike

Dance: Wilkinson / Bou / venbee

FR: Skindred / The Last Dinner Party

1Xtra: Nines / CASISDEAD

Sat-

MSE: SZA / The Wombats / Ice Spice

MSW: Tame Impala / Fontaines D.C / Beabadoobee

Dance: Hannah Laing / WEISS / Jazzy

FR: Lizzy McAlpine / TV Girl

1Xtra: Jeremih / Sexyy Red

Sun-

MSE: Blink-182 / Thirty Seconds to Mars / CHVRCHES

MSW: J Hus / Metro Boomin / RAYE

Dance: Sonny Fodera / D.O.D / Switch Disco

FR: Girl in Red / Mom Jeans.

1Xtra: FLO / HEX

I can't see a reading goer knowing who tame impala even is. 

5 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I say FF because I don't know of FF not doing Reading on an album although they could return in 25. I don't see Rodrigo above sub. Fred and SZA are good shots for MSW

I barely know who they are and I’ve seen them at Reading!

14 minutes ago, northernangel said:

46 minutes ago, stanh said:

If this is in reference to Foo Fighters I doubt they'll come back so soon after doing a June 24 UK stadium tour.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Rodrigo defo headline level, so much bigger than sub, and will have a new album by next year, probably will be one of the biggest of the year. SZA at this point is MSE or nothing, pretty big ticket shifter, and has a great live show. Think Fred would be silly to accept anything below MSE, but it is definitely plausible to do MSW.