2024 Festival

Chad888

32 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

He's got nothing that would make him a headliner. Nothing that will get the crowds energy up, where you walk away absolutely buzzing by what you've just seen. The atmosphere, the electric, the noise, the show, the performance.

Walking away after Arctic Monkeys was a bag of drowned cats. There was no excitement, just "yeah we saw Arctic Monkeys croon a bit".

I thought 1975 were a pants band until I watched them live.

Nobody was saying he is a headliner and nor does he have to be. Not every act is and obviously not all can be, theres 100s of undercard slots but 6 headliners (even fewer at most fests).

Think of him like seeing one of the landfill indie house bands ala wombats, two door - chill tunes in the sun kinda vibe. Nobody is expecting the world and everyone has a decent time but saves themself for the later acts.

On 12/30/2022 at 5:31 PM, gfa said:

Nobody was saying he is a headliner and nor does he have to be. Not every act is and obviously not all can be, theres 100s of undercard slots but 6 headliners (even fewer at most fests).

Think of him like seeing one of the landfill indie house bands ala wombats, two door - chill tunes in the sun kinda vibe. Nobody is expecting the world and everyone has a decent time but saves themself for the later acts.

There’s now 30 undercard slots…

He’d deffo suit a 4-5pm slot, what would that be now, 3rd down on MSW?

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

There’s now 30 undercard slots…

He’d deffo suit a 4-5pm slot, what would that be now, 3rd down on MSW?

Rex would be a sub, not sure which main stage and not sure if he would as the allegations have probably damaged his booking level

14 minutes ago, gfa said:

Rex would be a sub, not sure which main stage and not sure if he would as the allegations have probably damaged his booking level

He was due to headline the tent in 2020 wasn’t he? That roughly corresponded with 3rd in the main stage in the good ol days, so depends on how much he’s dropped off with no music and allegations since…

11 hours ago, Benj said:

He was due to headline the tent in 2020 wasn’t he? That roughly corresponded with 3rd in the main stage in the good ol days, so depends on how much he’s dropped off with no music and allegations since…

He did a 20k gunnersbury headline show (i think its 20k) this summer. He has definitely not dropped off since 2020, he was growing still until allegations

On 1/4/2023 at 11:07 PM, Benj said:

The 3 that were booked to headline the tent in '20, 2 of them played sub on the MSW.

One is now MSE headliner, and one is talked about as the next MSW rap headliner.

Rex is MSE sub at most due to the style of his music.

10 hours ago, VCK said:

If their next album does well, Fontaines should be considered for MSW headline. They're probably at a similar level to Holy Fire era Foals right now.

As much as I'd love this, I sadly don't see this happening with the Reading demographic. 

They really deserve it but I just can't see them getting a remotely substantial crowd 

1 hour ago, theesundayroast said:

As much as I'd love this, I sadly don't see this happening with the Reading demographic. 

They really deserve it but I just can't see them getting a remotely substantial crowd 

Will Imagine Dragons? I don't even know who their fans are. It feels like it's definitely not "the Reading demographic" and that they were pulled in at the last minute as a replacement. 

Fontaines as a cheaper MSW head against someone massive (Foos are back on the road, just saying) would work fine. Strike while the iron is hot and all that. 

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Will Imagine Dragons? I don't even know who their fans are. It feels like it's definitely not "the Reading demographic" and that they were pulled in at the last minute as a replacement. 

Fontaines as a cheaper MSW head against someone massive (Foos are back on the road, just saying) would work fine. Strike while the iron is hot and all that. 

Not a fan of Imagine Dragons at all but they did sell fairly well at Milton Keynes stadium this year and have a number of songs with well over a billion streams, they may not have many particularly massive fans but they've got much higher name recognition than Fontaines which will certainly attract a decent footfall.

If Fontaines get another decent album out with a couple of hits in the indie scene it's certainly possible similar to a few others such as Wolf Alice/ Blossoms.

Basically, would love it to happen (and certainly would work well as a slightly cheaper option as you say or even as a bump up due to a cancellation) but I'm still not 100% sold on it just yet.

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Paramore | Travis Scott | Blink 182

Kasabian | Doja Cat | Machine Gun Kelly

I think the MSE 3 are relatively guaranteed now, Paramore are making big moves again, Travis Scott is back to being desired, Blink are back on the grind.

Really cannot see there being two pop punk / rock type of acts on MSE, let alone MGK as well. Leaves just Kasabian for Indie

Theres only a single one this year and its Imagine Dragons who are more just a pop band anyway at this point

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

A fair old while back but they had an absolutely massive crowd last time they played, as in HUGE

They’ll draw a tonne more than Fontaines managed this year that’s for sure

Just now, Benj said:

A fair old while back but they had an absolutely massive crowd last time they played, as in HUGE

They’ll draw a tonne more than Fontaines managed this year that’s for sure

I think 2016 and 2023 they've had/got the advantage of opening for the biggest name on the poster, but yeah, you're still probably gonna be right. It's just the #1 band on earth I cannot fathom. I don't get who they're for. Seems like an act that both the kids and "old guard" would take the piss out of relentlessly. Just a nut I can't crack. 

1 hour ago, theesundayroast said:

Not a fan of Imagine Dragons at all but they did sell fairly well at Milton Keynes stadium this year and have a number of songs with well over a billion streams, they may not have many particularly massive fans but they've got much higher name recognition than Fontaines which will certainly attract a decent footfall.

If Fontaines get another decent album out with a couple of hits in the indie scene it's certainly possible similar to a few others such as Wolf Alice/ Blossoms.

Basically, would love it to happen (and certainly would work well as a slightly cheaper option as you say or even as a bump up due to a cancellation) but I'm still not 100% sold on it just yet.

Fontaines D.C. are about 10 years off headlining MSW. They don't have the chart appeal and 'one-hit wonder' album knockout that other acts had that drove them straight to headline (21 Pilots with Stressed Out).

I like them and thought they were great this year as that British R1-punk, but that was great as a sit in the sun and chill out - how though do I sell them to my wife, my friends, her friends, family etc to go and watch?

They are niche, there is no "universal" like-ability and show there.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I think 2016 and 2023 they've had/got the advantage of opening for the biggest name on the poster, but yeah, you're still probably gonna be right. It's just the #1 band on earth I cannot fathom. I don't get who they're for. Seems like an act that both the kids and "old guard" would take the piss out of relentlessly. Just a nut I can't crack. 

Its easy listening pop music. They have 4-5 horrifically catchy numbers. Loads of the demographic will have hear Radioactive and Thunder 1,000 times in their earlier years. They'll be a big big draw on the day and pretty enjoyable I suspect.

...They were in 2016, certainly more so than RHCP! I reckon they had a much bigger crowd too, with many leaving to see Two Door  

Yeah, Imagine Dragons' streaming numbers are certainly something. Even at the moment 'Bones' has been in the UK Spotify chart for aaages at this point.

This is their Top 10 most streamed on Spotify:

1. Believer (2017) - 2,344m
2. Thunder (2017) - 1,884m
3. Demons (2012) - 1,620m
4. Radioactive (2012) - 1,457m
5. Enemy (2021) - 1,019m
6. Natural (2019) - 961m
7. Whatever It Takes (2017) - 822m
8. Bad Liar (2019) - 822m
9. On Top Of The World (2012) - 725m
10. Bones (2022) - 480m

'Sucker For Pain' from 2016 also has 999m, but they're only a feature on that and have only performed it live 5 times a few years ago.

Edited by WhoOdyssey

As I said a while back, Imagine Dragons did seem to put on a really good show in 2016, certainly more than RHCP. Though like I also said, putting on a better show than RHCP is easier than shooting fish in a barrel. Just playing devil's advocate as I'm not a fan either, but their live show seems perfect for festival crowds.

13 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

I didn't go on their day last year, but going by the BBC footage at Reading and YouTube footage of Leeds they seemed to draw a pretty lively crowd. I think if the festival are wanting to bump up another modern rock act, they're one they should definitely take into consideration. Unless album number four is a total flop.

10 hours ago, VCK said:

I didn't go on their day last year, but going by the BBC footage at Reading and YouTube footage of Leeds they seemed to draw a pretty lively crowd. I think if the festival are wanting to bump up another modern rock act, they're one they should definitely take into consideration. Unless album number four is a total flop.

Albums only need to sell a few thousand now to get top spot in the Album charts, it will be very very hard to flop. The crowd this year wasn't busy, it was just active - but that is because they draw in the "moshers".

I liked them, I find their songs catchy, their entire performance though was just a generic band stood on stage while the front man paces up and down singing. Wasn't really a "show" that you'd expect from the the HL/SHL slots.

They have to step their game up if they want to bump up a slot or 6th down as the highest they'd realistically get.