2024 Festival

Chad888

On 12/14/2022 at 8:11 AM, Chad888 said:

MGMT - Kids / Time to Pretend are the exact sort of songs that the children will listen to and make viral on Tik Tok, thinking it's an uncovered gem that nobody has ever heard of.

They will then be booked to sub MSW.

Agree with the first point, but not sure it would be that high up.

Foster the people need a return and 100% would be similar re tiktok

5 hours ago, gfa said:

Agree with the first point, but not sure it would be that high up.

Foster the people need a return and 100% would be similar re tiktok

Chase Atlantic are subbing off a newpy viral song released in 2017

Glass Animals subbed off 1 tik tok viral song.

Bands like MGMT and Elbow have those kind of songs that can be picked up by kids that think they're unknown throwbacks

27 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Chase Atlantic are subbing off a newpy viral song released in 2017

Glass Animals subbed off 1 tik tok viral song.

Bands like MGMT and Elbow have those kind of songs that can be picked up by kids that think they're unknown throwbacks

Both of those acts have recent history with the festival though and are more R&L bands. Not too convinced about the viral song thing either - Chase Atlantic have four songs with over 100 mil streams, no idea which is the tiktok song but the top two have pretty much the same streams. Glass animals five songs over 100 mil streams too and subbed R1 a few years back - hardly a crazy progression.

Both were due a return vs MGMT and Elbow who are completely off the bookings radar

Edited by gfa

On 12/22/2022 at 11:22 AM, WhoOdyssey said:

All charged have been dropped against Rex Orange County, so we could see him back in 2024.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cmd7cWtN9uL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I said that was going to happen and got called out as an apologist. 

He was meant to perform this year, he will definitely perform in 2024. He will sub MSE.

Edited by Chad888

The two mains stage is shit movement is growing across social  reckon they’re gonna have to change back…

they don’t sell this well it’s game over…

Kids kicking off in the campsite as they’re bored with nothing to do again…

regulars bored with being dictated as to what the have to see and having to put up with bored kids smashing their campsite up

seems consensus is growing it’s shit now for the money…

can’t have a festival of that capacity  where half the crowd have nothing they want to see for half the day… 

#bringbackthebigtent

#keeppeopleenetertainedandtheywontburnyourtentdown

Edited by Benj

5 hours ago, Benj said:

The two mains stage is shit movement is growing across social  reckon they’re gonna have to change back…

they don’t sell this well it’s game over…

Kids kicking off in the campsite as they’re bored with nothing to do again…

regulars bored with being dictated as to what the have to see and having to put up with bored kids smashing their campsite up

seems consensus is growing it’s shit now for the money…

can’t have a festival of that capacity  where half the crowd have nothing they want to see for half the day… 

#bringbackthebigtent

#keeppeopleenetertainedandtheywontburnyourtentdown

Campsite wars did happen before the two main stages you know...

2 hours ago, SleepingGiants said:

Campsite wars did happen before the two main stages you know...

Not at 3pm in the arvo they didn’t

The arena was half empty for much of the time last year, the kids having more fun lashing unopen cans of beer across the campsite as opposed to spreading love and good will in the big tent

This year's campsite violence was caused by Covid rather than the 2 stages...though the 2 stages added some fuel to the fire.

16/17 year old kids at the festival were 13/14 when lockdown started. All of their formative years spent stuck behind a screen, letting their hormones go completely repressed. 

Their only idea of a festival is what they see in the media, that's either the Woodstock show on Netflix or absolutly insane acts and music with people loving life. When they turn up they get a half arsed Arctic Monkeys, Halsey, Megan the Stalion etc. It all ends a bit of a wet fish and they never learned as teenagers to handle emotions etc and it all bubbles up in to what we see.

4 hours ago, Benj said:

Not at 3pm in the arvo they didn’t

The arena was half empty for much of the time last year, the kids having more fun lashing unopen cans of beer across the campsite as opposed to spreading love and good will in the big tent

😂

22 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

This year's campsite violence was caused by Covid rather than the 2 stages...though the 2 stages added some fuel to the fire.

16/17 year old kids at the festival were 13/14 when lockdown started. All of their formative years spent stuck behind a screen, letting their hormones go completely repressed. 

Their only idea of a festival is what they see in the media, that's either the Woodstock show on Netflix or absolutly insane acts and music with people loving life. When they turn up they get a half arsed Arctic Monkeys, Halsey, Megan the Stalion etc. It all ends a bit of a wet fish and they never learned as teenagers to handle emotions etc and it all bubbles up in to what we see.

Lockdown wasn't that long, it was 2 years and a bit between the first lockdown and the 2022 festival (let alone the 2021 one, which was basically the same from my understanding as far as campsites go). The key thing is that missing year meant people lost any idea of how to behave I think.

Tiktok is probably more to blame than anything, you never really saw people lobbing shit across the campsites before on like bbc news etc, maybe the odd snapchat story during the festival VS now where i get reading/boardmasters stuff on my tiktok everyday even out of season. My page is definitely skewed towards festivals but the videos will have 10s of thousands of likes so clearly its not just me seeing them 🙂 

12 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I know this festival skews towards a younger audience but having never been I wonder what percentage of attendees were over/under 30. What’s the rough % split?

Also is the demographic pretty consistent across both locations or does Reading skew older than Leeds?

Both are similar. About 80% under 21 i’d say if not more

15 hours ago, wghennessy said:

I dont get Rex and why people like him so im going to do the same as what i did with Broco and Wolf Alice.

Where do i start? It all sounds a bit dull...like it never gets out of third gear or is that the point?

People put me on the riht path with WA and Broco and they are now my two favourite bands.

He's got chill vibes, so I kinda agree that he never gets out of 3rd gear. Ignore his last two albums. His best songs are all from the first two/are singles from around that time: 

Sunflower

Best Friend

Uno

Corduroy Dreams

Television/So Far So Good

A Song About Being Sad

Never Enough

Untitled

Happiness

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sacred shape said:

He's got chill vibes, so I kinda agree that he never gets out of 3rd gear. Ignore his last two albums. His best songs are all from the first two/are singles from around that time: 

Sunflower

Best Friend

Uno

Corduroy Dreams

Television/So Far So Good

A Song About Being Sad

Never Enough

Untitled

Happiness

He's got nothing that would make him a headliner. Nothing that will get the crowds energy up, where you walk away absolutely buzzing by what you've just seen. The atmosphere, the electric, the noise, the show, the performance.

Walking away after Arctic Monkeys was a bag of drowned cats. There was no excitement, just "yeah we saw Arctic Monkeys croon a bit".

I thought 1975 were a pants band until I watched them live.