Arcardia at the blood world cup

zahidf

31 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Genuinely opened this wondering what the hell a blood world cup was. Mine is O-positive, got to have a decent chance of getting to the quarter finals surely.

It's a world cup where a large number of migrant workers in horrific conditions under near slave terms have died building the white elephant stadiums.

Basically.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, incident said:

It's a world cup where a large number of migrant workers in horrific conditions under near slave terms have died building the white elephant stadiums.

Basically.

Got to say I'm disgusted with this.

So far from what I imagined the Arcadia team principles to be.

Shows how much money influences people.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

It really is.

It's lucky for people who love the spider that I'm not making the decisions at GFL, as I'd not invite Arcadia back after this.

Beyond this I was wondering if it might be time for a shake-up anyway. Pangea was creatively dull (regardless of the botched implementation) and the spider feels a bit stale. 

Maybe time to invite proposals from new creative teams/groups? Perhaps offer a 3 festival contract for the naughty corner and Arcadia sire to keep on encouraging new ideas and stop anything becoming too established. 

Just now, OverlyComplicated said:

Would that extend to any acts playing in Qatar? What about Saudi Arabia? Russia? Israel? 

I'd certainly prefer if the Arcadia team weren't involved in this but is it worth ending a decades long relationship with the festival over?

Yes, it's absolutely worth it. Arcadia are an organisation who's name is fundamentally linked to Glastonbury - to the extent that more often than not (including in this case) Glastonbury gets mentioned whenever Arcadia do anything external. When a recognised part of the festival takes part in a sportswashing event like this, it definitely reflects to a degree on the Festival.

Acts aren't comparable as none of them are associated with the Festival in anything close to the same way (though I'd still lose respect for any that do play).

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes, it's absolutely worth it. Arcadia are an organisation who's name is fundamentally linked to Glastonbury - to the extent that more often than not (including in this case) Glastonbury gets mentioned whenever Arcadia do anything external. When a recognised part of the festival takes part in a sportswashing event like this, it definitely reflects to a degree on the Festival.

Acts aren't comparable as none of them are associated with the Festival in anything close to the same way (though I'd still lose respect for any that do play).

Yeah, if Qatar are going to use Glasto's name to promote the use of their entertainment around the world cup, that is an issue

38 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Beyond this I was wondering if it might be time for a shake-up anyway. Pangea was creatively dull (regardless of the botched implementation) and the spider feels a bit stale. 

Maybe time to invite proposals from new creative teams/groups? Perhaps offer a 3 festival contract for the naughty corner and Arcadia sire to keep on encouraging new ideas and stop anything becoming too established. 

Presume you’ve seen that Arcadia will be evolving with a sea king helicopter ?  

12 minutes ago, gazzared said:

found a english version of the poster - and it even mentions Glastonbury

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 10-26-41 HC_220803_TournamentTimeExperienceCampaign_ A5 Arcadia Spectacular - arcadia-spectacular-en.pdf.png

Maybe the festival have limited control over something saying it's been there too?  But clearly they have control over whether it does so again. 

I wonder whether the Arcadia folks had to sell their soul after having two years of earning pretty much nowt? 

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Maybe the festival have limited control over something saying it's been there too?  But clearly they have control over whether it does so again. 

I wonder whether the Arcadia folks had to sell their soul after having two years of earning pretty much nowt? 

I think there's plenty of people who don't see it as selling their soul. 

Yeah, they're def throwing in Glasto's name to give the event some kudos. 

Altho, could it be argued that to change people's opinions, you first have to win people over to your culture? I'm not sure where I stand on it, but if you want to open up Qatar to Western liberalism, the best way would be through things like this?

Just a thought, don't have a go if you disagree, I'm just spitballing 🙂

9 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, they're def throwing in Glasto's name to give the event some kudos. 

Altho, could it be argued that to change people's opinions, you first have to win people over to your culture? I'm not sure where I stand on it, but if you want to open up Qatar to Western liberalism, the best way would be through things like this?

Just a thought, don't have a go if you disagree, I'm just spitballing 🙂

I get what you're trying to say. But I don't think a fire spitting metal spider is gonna open up any doors for Western Liberalism.