ticket tips and tricks Glastonbury 2024 resales

Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The first three years I went (2004, 2005 & 2007) it sold out very fast and there was no deposit scheme back then.  

i remember it did i just don't remember which years.

Just now, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Although what were we paying in 2004?

Must've been not much more than £100?

price will have been proportional to current price, so not a factor with the sellout.

13 hours ago, gfa said:

Arguably there's only so much you can do in 5 days (which not everyone gets too).

Still good value imo act wise etc, but there comes a point where the value is just not there vs a £150-200 mid size festival where you can see the same amount of acts that are still of a similar calibre if the lineup suits you

This is a point I often make, £300 may be amazing for 100s of acts on 100s of stages but you can only be in one place at a time. Plus if you're not interested in the headliners then that value drops further, you also don't get full sets from acts further down the bill. That band you are watching may well charge £60 for a normal gig but they normally play longer than 40 minutes.

I still think Glastonbury is value for money but pound for pound I can get better value for money at a smaller festival.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Not at all 😂

I think it’s my fault for responding to a post that was suggesting releasing a full line up prior to ticket sales amongst other things.  😞 

hopefully date of sale today or tomorrow. I’m sure the festival is well aware of our anticipation! 

The free programme and lanyard etc adds up to 20 quid?!

Bin that right away. Go digital or charge for it in physical form if people want it. When we're talking about increasing the cost of the ticket by 10%, potentially to £315, you get it back down under that 300 mark by instantly getting rid of the programme. 

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

But wouldnt you want to see how the fest would do if they did release a lineup before tickets went on sale to further prove its apparent superiority? Coachella has a blind presale in June every year since it went to 2 weekends and sell plenty of tickets before the lineup is out in January. The thing that makes the glasto sell out happen is cause they only ask £50. If they asked full price or payments you wouldnt have 30 min sell outs, especially right now. Glasto is still very underpriced but obviously some people welcome the price increase because it removes lower income folk ( college age  )  from thinking about getting a ticket and lets everyone else ( middle aged ) get their hands on em. Maybe they should just make the fest 35 and over after it reaches £400 in price like I predicted in 5 years.

speaking of the industry being in trouble

I think if the festival did release their line up before tickets went on sale, it would sell out at the same speed or faster.

There would be less log jams in people trying to get through if some of the undecided didn't want to waste their time on the said line up and leave a clear run* at it for everyone else.

*clear run meaning you would only have to hammer F5 fifty times instead of seventy-five times.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I think it’s my fault for responding to a post that was suggesting releasing a full line up prior to ticket sales amongst other things.  😞 

hopefully date of sale today or tomorrow. I’m sure the festival is well aware of our anticipation! 

All good I’m sure it will return to the tips once we get all of these questions answered with the announcement 

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Bin that right away. Go digital or charge for it in physical form if people want it. When we're talking about increasing the cost of the ticket by 10%, potentially to £315, you get it back down under that 300 mark by instantly getting rid of the programme. 

I’m sure it doesn’t cost them £20 … but yeah I agree … use whatever that cost is to reduce the price … the mini guide is pretty sufficient 

17 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Binning off the big programme is definitely something I'd be looking at if I had any say in those things.

Make it digital + save a ton on print costs.

The cover price is misleading.  I would estimate the cost of printing would easily be under £1 per copy so it wouldn't really save that much at all

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I've never considered those; i can't see how but you might be right.

i always thought it was because you need it to easily access the entertainment. it annoys me when you have to pay extra to find out when the advertised acts are playing.

In the age of phones, apps and clashfinders they could easily get rid of the mini guide and make the A4 programme a fiver for anyone who actually wants to read it. Personally I never look at either whilst I'm actually at the festival, they just sit in a drawer at home.

They went downhill when they stopped giving away the little pencil with the mini guides.

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

All good I’m sure it will return to the tips once we get all of these questions answered with the announcement 

I’m sure it doesn’t cost them £20 … but yeah I agree … use whatever that cost is to reduce the price … the mini guide is pretty sufficient 

Printing the programme only costs a few quid.

I've seen some great acts based on reading the programme, acts I'd either never heard of or didn't know their musical style.

13 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

If it's true that they're doing it to tax advantage of the tax situation, and with magazines being zero rated for VAT it's certainly plausible they are, then binning it would quite literally increase the ticket price.

If a Nominal 20 quid of the ticket price goes to the programme, then that's 4 quid "saved" on VAT. So they'd need to bring the actual production cost of the programme in at under 4 quid each in order for it to be a profitable wheeze - which seems quite likely to be the case. Especially as they do actually sell (presumably a small number of) programmes at the merch stalls for the full 20 quid, each of which will offset the production costs further.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

In the age of phones, apps and clashfinders they could easily get rid of the mini guide and make the A4 programme a fiver for anyone who actually wants to read it. Personally I never look at either whilst I'm actually at the festival, they just sit in a drawer at home.

They went downhill when they stopped giving away the little pencil with the mini guides.

I really find the mini guide quite helpful.  I use it quite a lot, and prefer that to having to use a phone to check what's on next etc like I've had to at other festivals.  

I tie it to my shorts so it sits in my pocket for the festival so its easily accessible as well. 

The big programme however does tend to stay in the corner of my tent save for a quick browse on the Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, circus92 said:

The cover price is misleading.  I would estimate the cost of printing would easily be under £1 per copy so it wouldn't really save that much at all

Well, if it went digital and cost between 1-3 quid, that's a saving of £180-£540k. Not bad. Not amazing, but it's something, esp if there's the app for finding new bands out. Also, Clashfinder has taken over for scheduling now I think, so a lot of it's wasted.

It's half a million they can spend elsewhere if they didn't want to remove it from the price of the ticket too.

Just now, circus92 said:

Nah - easily under £1.  You would be surprised how cheap print is.  I work in a company that prints these sort of brochures and I can assure you it would be no more that £1

That's interesting, I would have assumed more than that. I wonder what transport costs etc. add to it. 

• Crazyfool01 changed the title to ticket tips and tricks Glastonbury 2024 resales