Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I doubt though that when the Eavii are weighing up potential headliners the number of tickets they shift in Brazil is massively high up the considerations list.

Not the point, but Glastonbury is a global event and I think they try to go for globally established headliners. They sell tickets by offering headliners that are top of the market.

I think you can count on one hand the number of headliners in the past 10 years who don’t  headline festivals anywhere they go across the world. People from all around the world come to Glastonbury and the lineup from top to bottom is pretty cross-border.

They won’t be looking at ticket sales in Brazil, but it might help them when looking at future cohorts and working out who has sticking power.

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not the point, but Glastonbury is a global event and I think they try to go for globally established headliners. They sell tickets by offering headliners that are top of the market.

I think you can count on one hand the number of headliners in the past 10 years who don’t  headline festivals anywhere they go across the world. People from all around the world come to Glastonbury and the lineup from top to bottom is pretty cross-border.

They won’t be looking at ticket sales in Brazil, but it might help them when looking at future cohorts and working out who has sticking power.

Not really, the vast majority of popular culture is English speaking and the two biggest markets in the world are the UK and the US. If acts are headlining here then it stands to reason they will headline elsewhere too.

Need proof? Consider that Billie Eilish played 10 European dates on her recent tour. She played 12 in the UK alone.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Why do people bang on about the international markets as if they matter? We’re talking about how many tickets bands shift in this country. Who cares how many tickets they shift in Asia?

No we were talking about Coldplay actually, and how many stadiums they've sold out globally, so my comment was perfectly on topic... You bought Oasis into it with a reply to that very subject. Go back and read my original post, the one that the comment you originally quoted was a direct reply to. 😉

So I merely pointed out the difference... Coldplay can sell tickets here, and all around the globe... We're yet to see if Oasis could do that. 🙂 BTW, I am definitely an Oasis fan. So not in anyway slating, or even doubting them. I just don't think they'll have the global appeal Coldplay currently have. Would absolutely love it if they reformed and took the whole world by storm. 

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

No we were talking about Coldplay actually, and how many stadiums they've sold out globally, so my comment was perfectly on topic... You bought Oasis into it with a reply to that very subject. Go back and read my original post, the one that the comment you originally quoted was a direct reply to. 😉

So I merely pointed out the difference... Coldplay can sell tickets here, and all around the globe... We're yet to see if Oasis could do that. 🙂 BTW, I am definitely an Oasis fan. So not in anyway slating, or even doubting them. I just don't think they'll have the global appeal Coldplay currently have. Would absolutely love it if they reformed and took the whole world by storm. 

I was talking about the obsession with foreign markets in general around here. As I said further up it makes little difference to anything who can sell more tickets in Mexico, whether it’s Coldplay, Oasis and Dumpy’s Rusty Nuts.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I was talking about the obsession with foreign markets in general around here. As I said further up it makes little difference to anything who can sell more tickets in Mexico, whether it’s Coldplay, Oasis and Dumpy’s Rusty Nuts.

I would have thought the answer to that question was fairly obvious though. Glastonbury doesn't just attract the biggest bands / acts in the UK, it is a global beast that wants to attract the biggest acts in the world, especially as headliners. Surely it goes without saying that you've far more chance of being asked to headline any of the big festivals, Glasto, Coachella, Primavera, if you're an act that's selling tickets quickly on multiple continents? 

8 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

McCarroll - burnt bridges with the whole suing thing.

Bonehead - currently being treated for cancer but does tour with Liam

Guigsy - vanished from public life.

Alan White - same as Guigsy although he does have an active Instagram.

My opinion is that it will never happen as NG is very stubborn about not reforming and LG insults his family on social media which NG said was a step too far.

Plus NG always wanted to be The Beatles and Paul Weller and something something about they never reformed...

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

When you say 'anything' what exactly are you referring to? I'm not sure what you mean at all.

It obviously makes a difference if discussing an acts popularity. You can't geo-cherry pick. (Yes I made that up, but it absolutely works 😛) An act that has sold a billion records around the world, and 900,000 in the UK, is obviously much more successful and popular than an act that's sold a million records in the UK and very few abroad. That's why people discuss it. 

Almost any successful band in history's ultimate goal was / is to initially crack their home country, then eventually to crack the US and the rest of the world. So it's a perfectly good marker for how successful a British band / artist is. 

8 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I would have thought the answer to that question was fairly obvious though. Glastonbury doesn't just attract the biggest bands / acts in the UK, it is a global beast that wants to attract the biggest acts in the world, especially as headliners. Surely it goes without saying that you've far more chance of being asked to headline any of the big festivals, Glasto, Coachella, Primavera, if you're an act that's selling tickets quickly on multiple continents? 

the biggest acts in the uk are often the biggest in the world.

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

This is why I never get the hate. Whether you like or hate their music they seem like decent people. Same with Ed Sheeran, Elbow and a few others who get a lot of stick. I'd rather save my hatred for people who are actively fucking over the world rather than playing music that isn't quite to my taste. The world is a big place and there's room for even things you don't like. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

This is why I never get the hate. Whether you like or hate their music they seem like decent people. Same with Ed Sheeran, Elbow and a few others who get a lot of stick. I'd rather save my hatred for people who are actively fucking over the world rather than playing music that isn't quite to my taste. The world is a big place and there's room for even things you don't like. 

Exactly the point I was making with that post … i just find it bizarre that people make this thing about Coldplay … especially after he’s said he’s not going to appear at Glastonbury because of the fuss … my take is that musicians that do well , come over as throughly decent people and have supported the festival over the years should be celebrated for those things … and so what if he’s played or joined other musicians on stage once or twice too much in someone’s opinion … the festival have chosen them to do it . 

4 hours ago, Neil said:

Yes, hence the paragraph after the one you quoted. That's the goal for most artists with ambition, crack the UK, then the world... So their success internationally is a perfectly good way to gauge their overall success. And a perfectly good topic to discuss. 🙂

58 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Exactly this. there's not a lot of artists out there that I cannot listen to, and most who make that list are screamers / death growlers who are still extremely talented. I can't listen to it, but I seriously respect their ability to do it, quite a skill. I'd say my favourite music is 90s / 00s hip hop, Drum and Bass, and some old school happy hardcore. But that's never stopped me enjoying bands / artists from the opposite end of the culture spectrum. I can also go and enjoy Coldplay, Oasis, Blossoms, Olivia Rodrigo, Rammstein, Bring me the horizon, Spice Girls and even the damn Vengaboys!!!

I think too many people get trapped into a cultural bubble with music, they let tribalism take over them like sheep. Rather than letting their mood, circumstances or environment define what music they listen to at that time, they let the music define their mood, feelings and entire way of life and thinking. I listen to whatever music I'll enjoy the most at any given time, and thus can enjoy most genres. Yesterday just happened to be a Glenn MIller day. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, that went off on a tangent, sorry for ranting, I'm expecting some abuse for that little nugget of my inner feelings, so I'll take cover now. 

Whilst at Liverpool Uni in 2001 me and my mates went to a bar not far from parr street studios for a few early scoops after lectures. we walk in and there's a fella in the corner benny hat on reading the paper with a pint. glance over and i swear its Chris Martin. tell my mates and they're not sure, anyway i time me going the bar the same as him. he lets onto me, deffo him, give him a quick "alright mate" back and forth and we go and sit back at our respective tables.  takes his glass back the bar says something to the bar keep before he leaves gives us a nod and a "see you later lads"  mate goes the bar for next round and its already been sorted by Mr Martin. Wont hear a bad said about them 

Edited by eddie_corrigan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Not sure where to put this but looking at the announced tour and it seems to be missing of a few big places such as Germany, France Poland, Belgium or Ireland. I'm thinking there is a second part to the European leg which will be in 2024 with a stop at Glastonbury.

They did most of those places this summer FYI.

I don't understand why people get so wound up if someone says they don't like an artist. There are plenty of bands I don't like, so what? Similarly I don't feel the need to step in and act like I'm personally affronted whenever someone slags off something I like. It's a bizarre aspect of internet fandom, whether it's music, football, games consoles or anything else that people get tribal over, that any criticism is taken as a personal insult.

Music is meant to be about passion. It's ok not to like things, it's even ok to say you think something is shit. Getting personal maybe less so, but Christ it would be a boring world if we all said "well, they're not for me, but by jove I respect their right to make music".

The Cournteeners are shit. Red Hot Chilli Peppers are shit. Coldplay's recent output has been fucking dull.

There's nothing wrong with saying that. That's not hate, that's just having an opinion.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Totally. Thats why Sam Fender just played 1000 capacity thatres in the u.s. Absolutely massive....

And no, if glasto did take into account global popularity there would be plenty of other acts thrown into the mix of possible headliners. But it wont happen cause ya gotta keep the old generation of punters happy so they can sit in their chairs at the Pyramid.

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I don't understand why people get so wound up if someone says they don't like an artist. There are plenty of bands I don't like, so what? Similarly I don't feel the need to step in and act like I'm personally affronted whenever someone slags off something I like. It's a bizarre aspect of internet fandom, whether it's music, football, games consoles or anything else that people get tribal over, that any criticism is taken as a personal insult.

Music is meant to be about passion. It's ok not to like things, it's even ok to say you think something is shit. Getting personal maybe less so, but Christ it would be a boring world if we all said "well, they're not for me, but by jove I respect their right to make music".

The Cournteeners are shit. Red Hot Chilli Peppers are shit. Coldplay's recent output has been fucking dull.

There's nothing wrong with saying that. That's not hate, that's just having an opinion.

I don't think anybody gets upset at others opinions, I don't even think anybody here gets upset at the disproportionate abuse some bands tend to get. Maybe they do, I don't know. But it's never personal, and never reason for getting upset, nobody knows them personally (as far as I know.) 

It is however (for the 5th time) ok to discuss people's reasons on a discussion board. 

And absolutely there's nothing wrong with saying that, everybody is entitled to an opinion, everyone has one. I hope that posting this thread hasn't caused you any distress, or any feeling that you shouldn't be sharing your opinion, because that was never the intention. 🙂 If you don't like Coldplay, RHCP or even Jeffrey f***ing Archer that's completely up to you, and I for one don't mind you telling me. 👍 Don't be offended if I ask why though, out of pure curiosity. 🙂 

17 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Totally. Thats why Sam Fender just played 1000 capacity thatres in the u.s. Absolutely massive....

And no, if glasto did take into account global popularity there would be plenty of other acts thrown into the mix of possible headliners. But it wont happen cause ya gotta keep the old generation of punters happy so they can sit in their chairs at the Pyramid.

Rolling out oasis would change that.  Not.