That weather forecast thread (2022)

RedRockRick

1 hour ago, alberto_balsam said:

Where are people getting these apocalyptic forecasts for Friday? Met Office has 30% chance of rain

I’m finding the Met Office app to appear optimistic, whereas really it’s slow to catch up with the others. 

From drownedinsound based on the ciurrent maps of pressure

This is cumulative rainfall between now and midnight Sunday. What’s over the site isn’t really that much (and is predominantly on Sunday). What’s over Cornwall would be horrendous, so if the forecasts shifts that low pressure slightly east it will be a disaster, but if it shifts slightly west it will be relatively dry.

probably neither here nor there but last year I went to bed on Wed night with BBC predictions of rain for a fair amount of the festival.  Woke up Thursday  - met office had remodelled , forecast moved to dry / sunny , which indeed it was. Seems a bit more ominous this year but as others have said it may not be too bad and the forecasts may be a bit off. That's what I am telling myself anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Vamagus said:

In 2017, when it chucked it down most of Sunday, the car park was fine apart from a bit of mud around the gate which they’d put straw down on. However we left relatively early so it may have got worse later.

I was there that year and left on the Sunday morning as it was so grim. It was OK then but hadn't had a full day of rain. My family are bringing a campervan this year. Hopefully they will be OK getting out too.

I only ask as I experienced the horror of Glastonbury 2007. Getting out the car park was an absolute nightmare.

I have no problem with rain. I stayed to the end that Sunday. Bought a rough trade t shirt to change into half way through.  The only thing I found irritating was getting into the big top and tipi as most punters were using it for shelter. Most not even interested in who was playing 

Edited by eagles69

1 hour ago, eagles69 said:

The only thing I found irritating was getting into the big top and tipi as most punters were using it for shelter. Most not even interested in who was playing 

That's exactly my concern!

I don't think I'll have time to do my usual full forecast for the weekend but on first glance it doesn't look particularly pretty. I'll just stick waterproofs on and get on with it but I do feel I've been particularly unlucky having fairly significant rain each of the three times I've camped this summer when it didn't rain for almost 8 weeks at home 😛.

3 hours ago, eagles69 said:

I have no problem with rain. I stayed to the end that Sunday. Bought a rough trade t shirt to change into half way through.  The only thing I found irritating was getting into the big top and tipi as most punters were using it for shelter. Most not even interested in who was playing 

2 hours ago, JHad said:

That's exactly my concern!

I don't think I'll have time to do my usual full forecast for the weekend but on first glance it doesn't look particularly pretty. I'll just stick waterproofs on and get on with it but I do feel I've been particularly unlucky having fairly significant rain each of the three times I've camped this summer when it didn't rain for almost 8 weeks at home 😛.

I think EOTR is a really bad site when it's raining. There seems to be very limited cover. Which is basically bars or Tipi/Big Top. Frustrating as it's difficult to see bands and there are just people in there eating or sheltering. Or get a drink because you have to fight your way in. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, paulwa said:

I’m finding the Met Office app to appear optimistic, whereas really it’s slow to catch up with the others. 

Met Office predicted showers, some heavy, over the weekend of Green Man when there was barely a drop, whereas BBC was more accurate. At the moment the BBC chart is predicting thundery showers for Friday afternoon but the text outlook further down talks about sunny spells and scattered showers.

• Upvote 1