Volunteering 2023

neil93

36 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Such a shame as so often it came through for people.  

I’d recommend doing two with Oxfam year to get on the Glasto priority list for next time

I am trying for my niece who is doing 2 this year ( she’s at IOW now and doing Boomtown) but she is desperate to go to Glastonbury again as we usually go every year. I would sign up too but health issues mean I wouldn’t manage it this year. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

f**king Stickleball Gate again this year. f**king Stickleball. 

This better hadn't become 'my gate'. Although it seems once you're a team leader on a gate you tend to stay there. Certainly on the normal ped and vehicle gates anyway.

If that means the Sticklinch crowd can come and bring you a snack and beverage then maybe I'll do just that 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

This better hadn't become 'my gate'. Although it seems once you're a team leader on a gate you tend to stay there. Certainly on the normal ped and vehicle gates anyway.

My heart goes out to you! We were only saying last night that we are praying we don’t get that again. Please don’t let us get that again! 😬

6 minutes ago, amfy said:

My heart goes out to you! We were only saying last night that we are praying we don’t get that again. Please don’t let us get that again! 😬

Hopefully not! I think stewards are less likely to be given the same position year on year (unless you've been promoted of course)

And, at the end of the day, I'm at f**king Glastonbury! so really who cares (me, a bit).

And when you see the people still desperately trying to get a spot you I can't complain (I can, a bit)

Edited by philipsteak

14 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

And, at the end of the day, I'm at f**king Glastonbury! so really who cares (me, a bit).

And when you see the people still desperately trying to get a spot you I can't complain (I can, a bit)

I know - we are fortunate really, but I still reserve the right to be a bit peeved that I'll be coming off a night shift and will only have 8 hours before I'm back on shift again! I have to sleep, eat and fit in some festival time there somewhere 🤣

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Word is they're going to prioritise the very distant gates for transport this year, over say PGA and PGD (access requirements notwithstanding), so you should be able to get there and back in the minibus. 

9 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Word is they're going to prioritise the very distant gates for transport this year, over say PGA and PGD (access requirements notwithstanding), so you should be able to get there and back in the minibus. 

In fairness I always managed to get it when I wanted too, (depending on the shift I might anyway be in site or staying on site after) but you still have to be ready to go super early. Plus being a team leader (or supervisor) improves your chances too. There was never a problem getting the sticklinch,A and D supervisors who wanted it on the bus. And I think the stewards on my team generally did ok too. But yes, prioritising them and others similar would be good.

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Hopefully not! I think stewards are less likely to be given the same position year on year (unless you've been promoted of course)

I will honestly only complain a little bit & then it’ll be more because there is so little to do there even more than the journey!

47 minutes ago, amfy said:

I will honestly only complain a little bit & then it’ll be more because there is so little to do there even more than the journey!

Hardest part of being a supervisor at positions like that is trying to convince the stewards the whole thing isn't a massive waste of everyone's time.

But then the flipside of that is not having any major issues to deal with. One of my friends was the supervisor covering that area when there was that fire in the car park at Boomtown a few years back. His first shift ever supervising. He's never stewarded since. Possibly not been to a festival since. 

16 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Hardest part of being a supervisor at positions like that is trying to convince the stewards the whole thing isn't a massive waste of everyone's time.

It's a bit like a safety belt in a car. 99.99% of the time it's useless but you do want one for that 00.01%... As a future resident of Sticklinch I appreciate the safety belt you and your team will provide! 

8 minutes ago, moogster said:

It's a bit like a safety belt in a car. 99.99% of the time it's useless but you do want one for that 00.01%... As a future resident of Sticklinch I appreciate the safety belt you and your team will provide! 

Which is a lovely sentiment, but a tough sell to a bored and tired steward at 4 in the morning

18 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Which is a lovely sentiment, but a tough sell to a bored and tired steward at 4 in the morning

The perfect time to bust out the fizzy snakes for all and sundry! i never underestimate the importance of snacky things when it all gets a bit cold, boring and tiring 

It's times like that when it's quite hard to hold on to the fact that this is the trade off for getting to Glastonbury I guess.  Old hands tend to be a bit better at just putting up with it, but for a new steward (who might also be at Glastonbury for the first time) hearing the party happen *over there* whilst you're doing f**k all in the middle of the night can be tough to take.