Volunteering 2023

neil93

6 minutes ago, March Hare said:

In previous years there have been places late in the week but there are also places in the lead in.  Hopefully it isn’t scheduled for another 06:47am release 😂

It wouldn't surprise me tbh.

As far as I can make out, both of the last times Glastonbury became available, it was multiple places at once and released way outside of normal working hours. Whereas for other (less in demand) festivals places are coming up as and when.

Seems quite likely they're actively trying to get away from places being snapped up people who have a refresh script running all day while they're in the office.

On 6/11/2023 at 7:00 AM, glasto-worker said:

You must be well connected as I know many who tried but did not get a parking permit - the last time I had one was many years ago { parked in the press area - Big note - a lot has has changed since then } - they used to have a  portacabin { outside the wall } but no bugger was there but by Luck Scottish Security { they work in the bars } was driving past in a Land rover and offered me a lift to the Crew site - I was driving in and went hunting for the guy who should have been working in the portacabin - He Claimed there was no one waiting when I knew there was 40 people outside it waiting -

A shot from 2022 all that mob in the middle are waiting for worker tickets - it was so hot  even at 17.40 ' I was sitting in shade ' - I would imagine they will use the same area this year.

_174046059_HDR.thumb.jpg.e39149cbf814cb89afd0d95241fe9c2b.jpg

Cheers. I still haven't actually received anything official so the control freak is starting to panic slightly. But there's enough time for it to come. 

I remember a farcical entry to IOW where it was horrifically hot, zero shade, zero facilities and absolutely everyone was sat around like the poor sods in your photo. Fingers crossed for nothing like that here this year. 

26 minutes ago, incident said:

It wouldn't surprise me tbh.

As far as I can make out, both of the last times Glastonbury became available, it was multiple places at once and released way outside of normal working hours. Whereas for other (less in demand) festivals places are coming up as and when.

Seems quite likely they're actively trying to get away from places being snapped up people who have a refresh script running all day while they're in the office.

That makes sense. The poor refresh crew are going 24 hour now 👀

3 minutes ago, 4rd said:

For an Oxfam shift, will there be time to go and buy a proper meal during breaks?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Really depends where you’re put for your shift. If you’re on a vehicle gate or a pedestrian gate, which is the majority of positions, it can be a ten min wander to a food stall - then a ten min wait for your food - and you’ll be hot footing it back to your position to start working again, giving you precisely no time to sit down and rest your doubtlessly knackered feet. I bring stuff with me, and make sure I’ve eaten decently beforehand - I can’t be bothered with faffing on my break, I’d rather rest up a bit.

in summary: bring some eats with you, because snacks are always good! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 4rd said:

For an Oxfam shift, will there be time to go and buy a proper meal during breaks?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I would definitely say pack snacks that you can take on shift. During a long shift on your feet you won’t want to spend your break hunting down food or standing in queues, and the half hour goes really quick!

We tend to have something with us, and find somewhere to sit as nearby as possible for our break.

You will be able to go to the loo or to refill your water bottle during the shift, so don’t waste part of your break doing that!

54 minutes ago, amfy said:

Looks like someone on Glasto chat on Facebook got a place this morning so they are still re-issuing drop outs.

She didn’t specify who with. Don’t think it was with Oxfam as never had any alerts from Distill at that time.

2 minutes ago, dondo said:

Just a reminder for those on site on Monday there is an efests crew/volunteers meet up at the Tow and Hitch at 7pm.

More details here

I'll try and be there. Currently no idea when my shifts (if I have any) will be.

50 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'll try and be there. Currently no idea when my shifts (if I have any) will be.

lucky you! why wouldn't you have any? what do you normally do/work for skip?

1 hour ago, dondo said:

Just a reminder for those on site on Monday there is an efests crew/volunteers meet up at the Tow and Hitch at 7pm.

More details here

I'm planning to be there. Wasn't sure if i'd be on site on Monday or Tuesday but i've sorted a lift share for Monday.

23 hours ago, Harry MonkFish said:

Cheers. I still haven't actually received anything official so the control freak is starting to panic slightly. But there's enough time for it to come. 

I remember a farcical entry to IOW where it was horrifically hot, zero shade, zero facilities and absolutely everyone was sat around like the poor sods in your photo. Fingers crossed for nothing like that here this year. 

The Crew site was in that field { where people were waiting for tickets last year } in 2008 so it was outside the wall

{1} you could park next to the crew site { only feet away }
{2} No one had to produce tickets so no hanging about - they were checking ID if they did not know you
{3} I was setting up my tent within 5 mins of parking
{4} We had to leave early Monday morning to drive back to London so
missed all the traffic - forget why but it was the quickest exit I have encountered since 1979.

Hope all the paperwork arrives on time.

2008-camp-site.thumb.jpg.681af320465fd841a1242dd70cae1faa.jpglarge-mess-tent.thumb.jpg.29c4cde7597ad62b987f6fb2fef76c1b.jpg