Volunteering 2023

neil93

29 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I had the email too, to sign up 23rd Feb. So it's not a guarantee then just a general reminder basically..?

Guarantee is 21st Feb for returning volunteers. Then it opens to people who’ve registered an interest but not done it before.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Also what are the shifts like with shelter? Could 2 of the shifts be on Wednesday and thursday or is it all on the big 3 days?

It's unlikely 2 of them will be wed Thurs, more likely to be the 3 big days than other way round. 

Over 20 years of bar volunteering I've had a right mix, most swing to the busier bar nights... Thur, Fri and sat.. they try to be fair, prepare for the worst, anything else is a bonus

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I just got this email too. Hoping to get a ticket in the resale, if I do would Shelter refund me?

Nope. Cut off date for Shelter refunds is before the resale. I'd be interested to know if other organisations are the same.

2 hours ago, The Other Steve said:

Regards Shelter.  If accepted do you have to travel by coach as I heard you do?

Generally yes. There are ways around it but I'm not going to publicise them on here. It can cause all sorts of logistical issues for yourself and other people down the line.

Shelter really are the poor volunteering cousin compared with Oxfam. Somebody posted a picture of their campsite on here recently. Loads more room. And it's not right next door to SE Corner so they actually get a "peaceful campsite". And they get to bring their own vehicles (and park near said campsite iirc, so less of a slog). And they get to get in on the Monday.

2 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Also what are the shifts like with shelter? Could 2 of the shifts be on Wednesday and thursday or is it all on the big 3 days?

I've done it four times and have always got one shift before the festival Wed or Thu, one late shift during (which means missed headliners) and one early/day shift during (which I've worked through the legends slot three times now). Which seems fair enough (apart from the legends bit).

Don't know if they plan it like that or if I just got fortunate or am seeing a pattern that isn't there.

10 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Nope. Cut off date for Shelter refunds is before the resale. I'd be interested to know if other organisations are the same.

Generally yes. There are ways around it but I'm not going to publicise them on here. It can cause all sorts of logistical issues for yourself and other people down the line.

Shelter really are the poor volunteering cousin compared with Oxfam. Somebody posted a picture of their campsite on here recently. Loads more room. And it's not right next door to SE Corner so they actually get a "peaceful campsite". And they get to bring their own vehicles (and park near said campsite iirc, so less of a slog). And they get to get in on the Monday.

I've done it four times and have always got one shift before the festival Wed or Thu, one late shift during (which means missed headliners) and one early/day shift during (which I've worked through the legends slot three times now). Which seems fair enough (apart from the legends bit).

Don't know if they plan it like that or if I just got fortunate or am seeing a pattern that isn't there.

I've been with Shelter last couple of years. Going with Oxfam this year as last year was horrendous. A shift on Friday evening and Sunday evening, in a really busy bar where we didn't get a proper break and the avalon staff were vile to volunteers. The year before was better so not saying its that bad every year, but dependent on what bar you end up in prepare for the worst. Then its impossible to sleep in the campsite next to Block 9 even with ear plugs. 

33 minutes ago, Sarah33 said:

I've been with Shelter last couple of years. Going with Oxfam this year as last year was horrendous. A shift on Friday evening and Sunday evening, in a really busy bar where we didn't get a proper break and the avalon staff were vile to volunteers. The year before was better so not saying its that bad every year, but dependent on what bar you end up in prepare for the worst. Then its impossible to sleep in the campsite next to Block 9 even with ear plugs. 

That's sounds less than ideal.. I read somewhere that u have to attend a training day in London before the festival. Is that true?, as I think I'll struggle to get any more time off work plus I live in Cornwall so not cheap just for a few hours basic training.

2 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

That's sounds less than ideal.. I read somewhere that u have to attend a training day in London before the festival. Is that true?, as I think I'll struggle to get any more time off work plus I live in Cornwall so not cheap just for a few hours basic training.

They done the training via zoom  last year. I'd imagine this will be the way going forward.

The camp site Being beside block 9 isn't ideal. 

Did Avalon bars with Shelter last year. Hard work and the shifts mean you will definitely miss things (worked 2 nights during the festival and Thursday) but overall I would definitely recommend it and will be registering again this year. The Avalon Bars staff though pretty much just let us volunteers get with it - they seemed decent and humane though. Good campsite in a good location - 2 minutes walk and you are on site. Personally I did not find the noise at night an issue at all.

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2023 at 3:06 PM, e_p said:

when do you find out your shifts for Oxfam?  

An important question. Somebody is tasked with arranging the rotas in advance of the festival. Even regular volunteers like myself won't know what shifts I'm getting, which locations, etc until I'm  actually registered on site. I'm nearly always a Supervisor but I might also be a steward. It's a bit of a lottery at every festival. Usually I'm pretty happy with what I get but if I want to see a particular artist and I'm on duty there won't be much I can do about it. This, for me, is the big trade off between getting in for almost nowt and paying for a full price ticket If you are a steward, you are allowed to swap shifts with another steward. That can be done on site but it must be done officially using the computer system. It's nigh on impossible, as a Supervisor, to swap shifts as there are obviously far less Supervisors. Also, if your shift times simply don't work for you because of work, childcare, family stuff, etc .just let the Oxbox know straight away so they can rearrange things.

29 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

An important question. Somebody is tasked with arranging the rotas in advance of the festival. Even regular volunteers like myself won't know what shifts I'm getting, which locations, etc until I'm  actually registered on site. I'm nearly always a Supervisor but I might also be a steward. It's a bit of a lottery at every festival. Usually I'm pretty happy with what I get but if I want to see a particular artist and I'm on duty there won't be much I can do about it. This, for me, is the big trade off between getting in for almost nowt and paying for a full price ticket If you are a steward, you are allowed to swap shifts with another steward. That can be done on site but it must be done officially using the computer system. It's nigh on impossible, as a Supervisor, to swap shifts as there are obviously far less Supervisors. Also, if your shift times simply don't work for you because of work, childcare, family stuff, etc .just let the Oxbox know straight away so they can rearrange things.

One of the things I like about the recycling crew is that you know what shifts you do before arrival.  Means you know what you're missing out on and so you're kinda prepared for that.  

1 hour ago, Sawman said:

Did Avalon bars with Shelter last year. Hard work and the shifts mean you will definitely miss things (worked 2 nights during the festival and Thursday) but overall I would definitely recommend it and will be registering again this year. The Avalon Bars staff though pretty much just let us volunteers get with it - they seemed decent and humane though. Good campsite in a good location - 2 minutes walk and you are on site. Personally I did not find the noise at night an issue at all.

The food and showers are a good deal with Shelter. You get more vouchers than Oxfam does.  I personally don't mind working hard, you know its going to be serious graft, but when the paid Avalon staff sit in the back drinking with their friends all night and letting the volunteers deal with never ending queues, it verges on taking the p***  

Sounds like you were in a better managed bar which is good.  My first year wasn't bad either. Just luck of the draw I guess! 

1 hour ago, Sarah32 said:

The food and showers are a good deal with Shelter. You get more vouchers than Oxfam does.  I personally don't mind working hard, you know its going to be serious graft, but when the paid Avalon staff sit in the back drinking with their friends all night and letting the volunteers deal with never ending queues, it verges on taking the p***  

Sounds like you were in a better managed bar which is good.  My first year wasn't bad either. Just luck of the draw I guess! 

That's why I don't think I could do shelter. I'd be doing the bare minimum I had to in order to get signed off from the shift. I'm already Volunteering, I'm not doing more than I'm obliged to. 

Also goes for Oxfam and the people I've heard that chase after gate runners. Good luck to you, I'm not running. 

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Also very much not our job.

Definitely. We had a few gate runners when I was on night shift, advice was to keep well out of the way and let security deal with it.. which they did, often bringing back the runner a good 30 mins later after they’d trailed them through the site.  
I nearly got floored by one guy as he ran past us to try and escape security, got taken by surprise! 

Edited by Pipine

4 hours ago, Martin Ashford said:

I’ve stewarded at around 8 festivals since 2019. I’ve been wondering about volunteering to supervise and was wondering what the pros and cons are. Would you recommend it?

2 hours ago, Spacey said:

I’ve stewarded at around 8 festivals since 2019. I’ve been wondering about volunteering to supervise and was wondering what the pros and cons are. Would you recommend it?

I won't go into a full answer on this, as others can probably cover it better, but a one key point that negatively affects it for me:

At Glastonbury specifically, but not at other festivals, most (not all, but like 95%) of the Supervisor shifts start an hour earlier than the equivalent steward shifts. So on the most common Glastonbury shift pattern, this would mean a 4:45am start for the "morning" shift, which given the size of Glastonbury can mean setting off before 4am and (in my way of thinking) disrupts your sleep pattern even more than regular shifts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spacey said:

I resisted for years. It became a running joke among my friends that I was still a steward after years of doing it. I was very much of the opinion that I'm just here to do my shifts, no responsibility and done. Then one year I was made a supervisor and it was fine. Now I always tick the box to say I'm happy to do it. Makes it a bit more interesting, gives you a bit more freedom, and I like the hour earlier start at Glastonbury. And, again at Glastonbury, if you are on one of the far flung gates you have a much better chance of getting on the shuttle bus if you want. Now I'm always a supervisor at Glastonbury (last time was in charge of a gate, but only a very small quiet one) but don't always seem to be at other festivals.

I'd say with 8 under your belt you might as well go for it. Non of it is really that hard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1