Volunteering 2023

neil93

Just now, Skip997 said:

Re Oxfam, when I registered for Shambino (baby version of Shambala) in 2021, they required a reference.

They still ask for a reference but it's not used to determine who gets places initially so I haven't put it on the requirements. 

For 2022 stewarding the reference was only asked for after you'd secured a place and was basically to make sure you were a real person and would turn up to shifts. It's not verified on anyway as far as I can tell.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, moogster said:

I'm always imagining a not so clever thief thinking "Hey car keys! Jackpot! " and then heading to the parking fields and... good luck!

Actually at the crew fields is the one place this could work for the thief. We are parked in the field next door to where we camp, and it isn’t that large.

On 12/15/2022 at 4:34 PM, Leyrulion said:

I've had a go at pulling together all the organisations with volunteering places into a spreadsheet. 

Happy for others to give more info on options, but these are the 8 I've got the most info on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mp4ZMpJcffuwNSJBKKnEmfsdttyl0-kmpOHcPWVRD5E/

well you have been busy - wish that had been about in the 80's 

Avalon/Shelter in the past may use

3 days x 8 hours or
4 days x 6 hours or
2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours

have no idea if this will be continued for 2023.

I have worked split shifts before {Not with Avalon} and had no problem with them but I do know that some people are not Keen.

Its all down to luck so be prepared for the unexpected.

23 hours ago, e_p said:

applied for all of them. having to use the shelter coaches  is a but of a killer. 

Totally agree. Especially if you're getting on a bit.

If they continue with the "Bristol being the only pick up point" thing they introduced last minute this year I will possibly have to consider looking elsewhere in future. It was always a logistical nightmare getting my ageing arse to London as it was. A bit concerned that they may deter large areas of the country from applying if they continue with that policy.

Given that I'm pretty sure that there were volunteers from other organisations on said buses iirc, I still suspect that this was an Avalon thing rather than a Shelter thing, but have never been able to reliably confirm this

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Totally agree. Especially if you're getting on a bit.

If they continue with the "Bristol being the only pick up point" thing they introduced last minute this year I will possibly have to consider looking elsewhere in future. It was always a logistical nightmare getting my ageing arse to London as it was. A bit concerned that they may deter large areas of the country from applying if they continue with that policy.

Given that I'm pretty sure that there were volunteers from other organisations on said buses iirc, I still suspect that this was an Avalon thing rather than a Shelter thing, but have never been able to reliably confirm this

I think they’ll either have to introduce other points or let people travel on their own. It seems bonkers!

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2022 at 7:40 PM, e_p said:

So to be clear where do the shelter coaches leave? And when? 
man’s how about returning? 

There's no information yet for 2023. 

For 2022 it was a fairly last minute change in about May that you could only get onto sits by coach from Bristol and not a London pick up point. 

Once you're on site I'd assume you can leave however you want when your shifts are done. Might be a coach back but you can also get 

Edited by Leyrulion

On 12/18/2022 at 7:40 PM, e_p said:

So to be clear where do the shelter coaches leave? And when? 
man’s how about returning? 

This is from the 2019 Shelter email:

___

LONDON – pick up and drop off:

York Way, Kings Cross, N1 9AA

9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm

SHEFFIELD – pick up and drop off:

The Hubs, Paternoster Row, S1 2QQ

10am

BRISTOL – pick up and drop off:

75 Millennium Square, Canons Way, BS1 5DB

10am

___

For Tuesday.

But, as I'm sure you've gathered, everyone had to get to Bristol this year. I've not been able to ascertain why. Covid may have been mentioned. No mention yet of whether they will go back to the old system.

As for getting back it worked like this:

1) Get up and packed up. Leave No Trace!

2) Get ticket from camp person confirming you've done this.

3) Take ticket to big tent.

4) Get sequentially issued raffle ticket to confirm your place in the queue.

5) Join the queue for the buses (or is it coaches?) and wait to be told to move.

6) Haul your ageing, festival knackered arse, and all your gear to said bus (or coach).

___

The above was Obviously only only for London in 2019. No Idea how Sheffield and Bristol worked. Get up on time or tough I guess.

I assume that this year it was a bigger queue.

There's nothing stopping anyone making their own getting home arrangements of course. (@Leyrulionjust beat me to that particular point).

Edited by MrZigster

The other thing with the shelter coaches is that it’s quite hard to time your return train. Given that we had to be ready to go for about 9am I thought a train at about 2.30 from Bristol would be a fairly safe bet.

I was all packed up and ready to go for the designated time, but then waited hours before the coaches left, and only just made my train by ordering an Uber from the coach as we got into Bristol & legging it like a lunatic.

15 minutes ago, amfy said:

The other thing with the shelter coaches is that it’s quite hard to time your return train. Given that we had to be ready to go for about 9am I thought a train at about 2.30 from Bristol would be a fairly safe bet.

The shelter route was a pain in the erse last year. Prior to fest I had train tickets and accomodation booked for London, travelling from Glasgow. My own doing booking in advance before announcement, tho train tickets need to be bought in advance for a decent price.

Ended up having to book extra transport from London and Bristol accomodation. 

My own dilemmas out of the way, I would never rely on workers bus to get you off site for a designated time, too many variables out with control to guarantee a 9 or 10am departure off site. I know they say first packed up first go , your then reliant on a bus company/driver plus logistics and I've seen that go sour over the years. I prefer another over night on way home or similar. 

The shelter decision was apparently based on lack of bus hires and  drivers etc after covid. Let's see if it changes back this year or not.  They had mini buses with no room for luggage meaning the isles where piled up to the height of the seats with all the luggage and no room to move. A bit dodgy and altho I'm all for breaching rules etc, im more for a bit of comfort in aulder age.  If it's the same shenanigans this year, it could be my last with shelter and I'll look at alternative options .

Despite the transport issues, the rest was great. Hopefully won't be the same this time round and the transport announced will come in time for people like zigster and moi to book transport to the buses in adequate time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, e_p said:

Are there any circumstances at all you could make your own way there for Shelter? 

Unsure about shelter but most charity places are relatively forgiving, they just can't tell you they make too many accomodations or people take the piss. 

The trouble with shelter would be getting the wristband to enter site as the campsite is within the festival itself. But if you turned up to site on Tuesday and rang the shelter contact to say you were literally at the door I'm 95% sure they'd find a way to get you in. 

10 hours ago, garc1a said:

The shelter route was a pain in the erse last year. Prior to fest I had train tickets and accomodation booked for London, travelling from Glasgow. My own doing booking in advance before announcement, tho train tickets need to be bought in advance for a decent price.

Ended up having to book extra transport from London and Bristol accomodation. 

My own dilemmas out of the way, I would never rely on workers bus to get you off site for a designated time, too many variables out with control to guarantee a 9 or 10am departure off site. I know they say first packed up first go , your then reliant on a bus company/driver plus logistics and I've seen that go sour over the years. I prefer another over night on way home or similar. 

The shelter decision was apparently based on lack of bus hires and  drivers etc after covid. Let's see if it changes back this year or not.  They had mini buses with no room for luggage meaning the isles where piled up to the height of the seats with all the luggage and no room to move. A bit dodgy and altho I'm all for breaching rules etc, im more for a bit of comfort in aulder age.  If it's the same shenanigans this year, it could be my last with shelter and I'll look at alternative options .

Despite the transport issues, the rest was great. Hopefully won't be the same this time round and the transport announced will come in time for people like zigster and moi to book transport to the buses in adequate time.

The added dilemma being that vehicle traffic tends to be prioritised for customers off site making staff egress a bit trickier. 

Does all the shifts being definitely within festival time make any impact for you? 

I feel like with Oxfam there's a fair chunk that get 1 shift out the way on Wednesday morning. So it's only 2 shifts in festival time itself.

2 hours ago, e_p said:

Are there any circumstances at all you could make your own way there for Shelter? 

In the past this would have been a major issue, but this year due to the previously mentioned late change to Bristol only and then the train strikes which hit on the day for all the coaches it was opened up to get to the site "under your own steam", whatever form this took, on the Monday. No idea at all yet if that will return this year or not

5 minutes ago, waltere said:

In the past this would have been a major issue, but this year due to the previously mentioned late change to Bristol only and then the train strikes which hit on the day for all the coaches it was opened up to get to the site "under your own steam", whatever form this took, on the Monday. No idea at all yet if that will return this year or not

I was a bit jealous I had a ticket when I heard that. Would love to get there on a Monday. Especially under my own steam. Can't see them keeping it unless the strikes go on. Too many more cars.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I was a bit jealous I had a ticket when I heard that. Would love to get there on a Monday. Especially under my own steam. Can't see them keeping it unless the strikes go on. Too many more cars.

I don't understand why it's any different to Oxfam.  Arriving midday Monday and parking in the field next door are major benefits for us and they use them as deal sweeteners! 

23 hours ago, garc1a said:

The shelter route was a pain in the erse last year. Prior to fest I had train tickets and accomodation booked for London, travelling from Glasgow. My own doing booking in advance before announcement, tho train tickets need to be bought in advance for a decent price. Ended up having to book extra transport from London and Bristol accomodation.  My own dilemmas out of the way, I would never rely on workers bus to get you off site for a designated time, too many variables out with control to guarantee a 9 or 10am departure off site. I know they say first packed up first go , your then reliant on a bus company/driver plus logistics and I've seen that go sour over the years. I prefer another over night on way home or similar. 

That must have been a pain in the Arse for you.

photo is from 2009 when we were camping in 'Bushy ground' {first time we had used that as a Crew site}

I had persuaded two friends from Iceland to Volunteer - they had never been to Glastonbury before !!!

by the way ' the London Coach driver got lost when we were driving down '
- the idiot turned left down a single track road ## that took us close to  
the M5 { I am not kidding } ## and when we reached Glastonbury Town there was a massive traffic jam 

we should have arrived at 8pm but we did not arrive until After 2am and GFL Security at first would not let the Coach in - lucky enough I had my pass from 2008 and that was enough and they let us though.

Same pass got me though the Crew Gate and was able to track down some of the office staff ## but the crew site was full so we camped next to it { closer to the chicken sheds } ## - first time since 1988 that I did not camp in the official crew site

Anyway early Monday I spotted the driver arriving { the same guy who got us lost } so was able to get him to open up the coach ## so we were already loaded by the time the Coach Coordinator announced the first London Coach is here ##

I fully agree with your words - I always advise Oli { guy from Iceland } to book the Last Flight of the day as there is so many factors - one year a London crew Coach broke down - it was at that point ' they discovered the driver had been filling in for a Mate so had no clue who to contact at the coach company ' but lucky enough Sean Taylor (singer-songwriter) was on that coach so he called me as he knew I could patch him though to Staff HQ and they were able to sort out a replacement coach.

they were bloody lucky I had not switched my phone off. 

glasto-53-1000.jpg.663fceb03760e9549e15f5433a47fee4.jpgglasto-41-1000.jpg.aec3870ebccbfaa5b4d6a9529470c16f.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Deposit paid for charity recycling though ominous rumblings of shift and location changes.

Do you know when you will find out? Possibly just rumours? 

23 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Does all the shifts being definitely within festival time make any impact for you? 

I feel like with Oxfam there's a fair chunk that get 1 shift out the way on Wednesday morning. So it's only 2 shifts in festival time itself.

There is no doubt that the shifts have more of an impact than say the oxfam ones where you get a shift out the way before the main 3 festival days. There are times when i have had a shift Fri, Sat and Sun of the festival. altho this is rare, it is a possibility. the bars tend to be busier on the thurs, fri and sat than any other days and the shifts are always gonna lean towards the busy times *they make this clear when you sign up to volunteer and its something to be aware about if your going to do the bars that potentially youll be missing two of the 3 nights of bands., 

Does it impact me tho, now it doesnt really. I wouldnt be at the festival if i wasnt volunteering or working in some capacity. The older i get the less tolerant i have become of queues , lack of home comforts and the rest. Added to my favourite part of the festival now being the performing arts (circus and theatre), i dont do class A's nor do i drink alcohol anymore and i havent been in the south east corner the past two festivals (thats a lie... i went in last year and made a swift exit as i wasnt enjoying it!_ im happy now to get to see what i get the chance to. 

if there was a corner of the festival that started at 6am.. that would be my corner now, im up with the morning joggers 🙂 

volunteering suits me just fine now, happy to be giving back to the fest and still getting to be part of it that way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3