Fancy/cross dressing at Glastonbury, enlighten a foreigner

moogster

The history of mens fashion is quite interesting. It’s only relatively recently that flamboyance, bright colours, indulgence, even makeup has become coded as feminine. Around the 17th, 18th century in particular the nobility & gentlemen around town were fancy AF. I mean, look at this dude 😂

8BC228BE-06D7-4386-BD46-627A40499D61.thumb.jpeg.c0597e5b284c091d5015bcdb7425ca13.jpeg

1 hour ago, BumJuice said:

Love the muff on his arm. Samuel Peyps was an early adopter of this for men apparently. The Museum of London has a page full of muffs

As a child I had several muffs

Interesting , and I might have seen a gap in the mass clothing market. During the recent heatwave we were in jersey on holiday. I was sweating  wearing the traditional mens attire in such weather as beanie hat, Glastonbury t shirt and cargo shorts worn to the knee. Mrs C had a very lightweight cotton dress allowing free movement of cooling air.  I realised that as long as they became mass fashion for men what’s wrong with similar dress. I don’t mean the beckham style  high end fashion but something available cheaply in matalan etc. of course it would require modifications such as zip pockets for wallets.  And instead of the daisy daisy daisy patterns they could be a bit more butch with beer logos or football colours used.  All it would take is some entrepreneur to take the plunge and produce them.  Once others started wearing them I’d follow. 

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've spent a fair amount of time in hot countries and opted for sarongs, lungi, dhotis etc when it gets too hot to handle. They're great.

Though I've also worn kilts in plenty of pretty out their environments and never once had chafing in a place where you really don't want any chafing.

I went with someone who chose to wear a (apparently called) dish dash all day Thursday one year. It had been a Christmas present from his brother who was a missionary in some hot country. They couldn't think of anywhere else they could get away with wearing it they said.

Didn't help that they really looked like classic white Jesus with their beard.

Regretted agreeing to hang around with them that day as I looked like a besotted disciple or something.

18 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Interesting , and I might have seen a gap in the mass clothing market. During the recent heatwave we were in jersey on holiday. I was sweating  wearing the traditional mens attire in such weather as beanie hat, Glastonbury t shirt and cargo shorts worn to the knee. Mrs C had a very lightweight cotton dress allowing free movement of cooling air.  I realised that as long as they became mass fashion for men what’s wrong with similar dress. I don’t mean the beckham style  high end fashion but something available cheaply in matalan etc. of course it would require modifications such as zip pockets for wallets.  And instead of the daisy daisy daisy patterns they could be a bit more butch with beer logos or football colours used.  All it would take is some entrepreneur to take the plunge and produce them.  Once others started wearing them I’d follow. 

And if women could have more pockets it would be nice too 😉

I saw a few Muslim men recently wearing a white traditional djellaba, and they did not seem to mind the heat ! The west needs to catch up, and as I wrote in a previous post, I hope my trader's application for 2023 for men's skirts and dresses will be approved. Now I need a supplier 😛

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I went with someone who chose to wear a (apparently called) dish dash all day Thursday one year. It had been a Christmas present from his brother who was a missionary in some hot country. They couldn't think of anywhere else they could get away with wearing it they said.

Didn't help that they really looked like classic white Jesus with their beard.

Regretted agreeing to hang around with them that day as I looked like a besotted disciple or something.

Doesn't Dantastic Glastonbury who does the charity bins get all up in the mix at Glastonbury in a Jesus costume?

I stuck this in the controversial opinions thread a while back, I have an irrational dislike of fancy dress yet think cross dressing is fine if that's your thing. 

It's weird cos I like to think that I am a whatever makes you happy kind of guy but fancy dress just screams "look at me". I'm particularly irked by people dressing up as the Legends and rock acts. Dolly Parton? Wig and balloons for tits. Barry Gibb? Wig and big teeth. ZZ Top? Wig, fake beard, blow up guitar. Slash? Wig, top hat, blow up guitar. To me it just feels like taking the piss rather than "fun".

Where's Wally, Mario Brothers, Ghostbusters.... 

I mean, I don't let it ruin my day but ugh. 

Sorry, I'm just old and miserable. 

Edited by Gnomicide

Each to their own and that but some of it is all a bit predictable now isn't it? A lot of this lot aside from the art school mob likely spend the rest of the year in a suit in the office but hey ho maybe they just want to go 'unconventional' for a few days...

At one festival I was working and they asked if we could have a themed fancy dress. They opted for Star Wars which went well until I turned up in my Stormtrooper outfit. That is a nazi stormtrooper. I was sent back to change. Sorry but I have a very dark sense of humour. Normally I would dress as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.

• Upvote 1