Pyramid Stage/other stage

charlie.light

Regarding the tech details of the Other Stage -

Up until 2014 they used a 22m Supernova - https://www.stages.co.uk/festival-and-concert-stages/supernova-stage/supernova-22m

In 2015 and 2016 they used a Triton - https://www.stages.co.uk/festival-and-concert-stages/tower-roof/triton

From 2017 onwards, they've been using a TZ - which is about the largest temporary stage on the market https://www.stages.co.uk/festival-and-concert-stages/tower-roof/tz

• Upvote 1

^^ An in the round mainstage would be awesome. Would be the first major festival in the world to do it too right for a stage with well known artists on all day? Not exactly sure where it would go, but still! Park and JP wouldn't work so I guess WH, which seems unlikely...

Might detract from arcadia in fairness

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

^^ An in the round mainstage would be awesome. Would be the first major festival in the world to do it too right for a stage with well known artists on all day? Not exactly sure where it would go, but still! Park and JP wouldn't work so I guess WH, which seems unlikely...

Might detract from arcadia in fairness

Imagine the overcrowding sub after the festival if that happens

I think the acts were simply too far away on the pyramid stage. The gap between the artists and audience seemed huge. It was a small shock to go to the other and feel so much closer to the performers.

Also, and this applies to all stages, they need a little step ladder on hand in case a band member jumps down to interact with the crowd. It's always somewhat undignified watching them scramble back onto stage, or get s leg-up from a security guard.

19 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Not sure in the round stages will quite work at festivals, at least like Glastonbury. But who knows!

I hate 'in the round' basically the artist has their back to you for half of the show.

I get the sense that bands try it at some point in their career when they need to freshen things up, and then realise it's not good and abandon it henceforth.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I hate 'in the round' basically the artist has their back to you for half of the show.

I get the sense that bands try it at some point in their career when they need to freshen things up, and then realise it's not good and abandon it henceforth.

I think its more of a fad for a single tour just to 'offer something new' like 2 years after their last tour. Definitely more for bands than solo acts but it would be cool as it would be 90% of acts on the stage's first time doing in the round. Would probably be a shitshow for that reason to be fair!

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I think its more of a fad for a single tour just to 'offer something new' like 2 years after their last tour. Definitely more for bands than solo acts but it would be cool as it would be 90% of acts on the stage's first time doing in the round. Would probably be a shitshow for that reason to be fair!

The Arcade Fire in-the-round gigs were quite good as setups go, from memory.

13 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Also, and this applies to all stages, they need a little step ladder on hand in case a band member jumps down to interact with the crowd. It's always somewhat undignified watching them scramble back onto stage, or get s leg-up from a security guard.

Howlin' Pelle from The Hives was a pioneer in this line of thinking.

16 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Best one Ive seen is Metallica. The stage turned, so you saw everyone.

21 hours ago, charlie.light said:

Is it time the pyramid stage got a revamp. Wrap around screens like at BST and Reading, more technology? 

Should this happen in the other stage too, I read it’s the biggest stage at Glastonbury in terms of stage space 

I was blown away but the quality of the screens nowadays. 

34 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Undignified, maybe.

Entertaining? Absolutely.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah - this year was largely great. It's consistently one of the best curated stages at the festival.

Opinions differ, that's cool, but I'd argue that it's by far the worst curated stage and has been for a long time.

Their biggest problem is the running order, e.g. that ex Beatle chap should have been in the legends slot. To be fair the other two headliners this year were correct.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah - this year was largely great. It's consistently one of the best curated stages at the festival.

Agreed. 

Saw 8 acts on The Pyramid this year, by far the most I’ve ever seen there. 

And whilst other years haven’t always been to my tastes, they’re usually full of stellar acts that scope multiple genres. 

Except for 2008, that was a debacle. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Except for 2008, that was a debacle. 

Nonsense.

Two of the best acts ever to play on the Pyramid. Jay-Z was genuinely one the best acts I've seen in over 20 Glastonbury's and Amy Winehouse. Even better that they were on one after the other.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Nonsense.

Two of the best acts ever to play on the Pyramid. Jay-Z was genuinely one the best acts I've seen in over 20 Glastonbury's and Amy Winehouse. Even better that they were on one after the other.

Those two were great yeah. 

Look at Friday and tell me you feel the same! 

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So the other stage is actually the main stage at R&L? That’s cool. Never knew that.

Not sure if the stage is the same, but the screens definitely aren't. Reading has wrap around screens that are far more impressive

image.png.0184cfdb98989c73c04eadbc64a07549.png