Time to change the deposit scheme?

ProperTea

58 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t see how this is a factor. I’m not an accountant but I am self employed, when I earn my income in a reporting period is irrelevant, the tax liability is the same, income is income regardless of when you receive it. It would be somewhat odd if the timing of income in a reporting period had an impact on how much tax you pay.

I've not really looked into it but I've read something about that before.  For VAT you don't want a load of sales in a quarter where you have no purchases I guess. 

35 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Honestly mate you're lucky that you don't understand that saving isn't as easy as it sounds. As somebody who works in an industry where you can earn a nice amount to live on for a while, then all of a sudden you can be told you've got to go and find a minimum wage job for a few months until it picks up again, saving is hard.

If it was split up into 5 monthly payments of £50, it's so much easier to deal with than putting that £50 aside each month and letting it sit there. If I'm able to pay off those £50s here and there, I don't miss it... But if all of a sudden work dries up in February and there's £250 sat there that could go towards rent or food, that's my Glastonbury balance gone.

You say that like it's a bad thing? You'd rather have the Glastonbury balance than make rent or be able to eat? You seem to be arguing for a system that leaves you hungry and homeless but still able to get a ticket?

Edited by DeanoL

23 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

What if the initial deposit went up to £100? Still reasonably attainable to the vast majority of festival goers and also makes the final pay off that little bit more digestible. 

Mine was £100 in Oct 2019 as I paid for my coach ticket at the same time! 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

An extra 4 x 250,000 transactions for the festival and the bank is a million transactions. For what? You still have to pay a total of £245 by April. 

Well its probably £260 next year easily. I wont be shocked if its £325 for 2023.

Payment plans can be helpful and we can discuss what is good and what isnt for any income level. The bigger concern is price increase and capacity increases. That will have more of an impact that anything. Since its nearing the magical £300 threshold and will apparently be considered a festival only for the truly elite despite other fests asking £500 now, this might be a time to re examine how things get announced too. Would love to see an initial poster pre deposit and see how the sale goes. Full line up is out when the schedule comes up which can coincide with final payment and resales.

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Well its probably £260 next year easily. I wont be shocked if its £325 for 2023.

Payment plans can be helpful and we can discuss what is good and what isnt for any income level. The bigger concern is price increase and capacity increases. That will have more of an impact that anything. Since its nearing the magical £300 threshold and will apparently be considered a festival only for the truly elite despite other fests asking £500 now, this might be a time to re examine how things get announced too. Would love to see an initial poster pre deposit and see how the sale goes. Full line up is out when the schedule comes up which can coincide with final payment and resales.

Its hardly going to go up £40 for next year.

The £300 thing is pretty ridiculous - Reading is visited by sixth formers mostly and its practically £300 now too but obviously glastonbury will get the flak for breaching it and not there

1 hour ago, incident said:

That fact you're even bringing mortgages into this suggests to me that you're playing devils advocate here rather than treating this as a serious suggestion.

Mortgages are typically multiples of an annual wage.

Glastonbury tickets are typically fractions of a monthly wage.

I quite like the idea of everyone handing over their tax bracket code during registration and being charged a ticket price for that.

In Personal Allowance, that'd be 100 quid.

Basic - 150

Higher - 300

Additional - 500

Obviously dangerous for Glastonbury as they wouldn't know how much money they'd make each year, if for example all the tickets were taken by people in Personal Allowance. They'd have to implement a ticketing system where the tickets were evenly spread out. People would be allowed to buy tickets on the sales page for a bracket higher, but not for a lower bracket. Could be quite exciting if you're in the Basic bracket, but happy to snap up a ticket from the higher categories if that means it's more secure to do so 😃

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I quite like the idea of everyone handing over their tax bracket code during registration and being charged a ticket price for that.

Basic - 150

Higher - 300

Additional - 500

Obviously dangerous for Glastonbury as they wouldn't know how much money they'd make each year, if for example all the tickets were taken by people in Personal Allowance. They'd have to implement a ticketing system where the tickets were evenly spread out. People would be allowed to buy tickets on the sales page for a bracket higher, but not for a lower bracket. Could be quite exciting if you're in the Basic bracket, but happy to snap up a ticket from the higher categories if that means it's more secure to do so 😃

You sound scarily in favour of this

15 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Basic - 150

Higher - 300

Additional - 500

I don't mind the concept - but logistically (with GDPR etc) there's no workable scenario where this could be done as anything other than a trust based scheme (with a "prefer not to say" option) - and you'd definitely have substantial numbers people lying in order to pay less.

17 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

What's so scary about people paying what they can afford?

I don't think it'd happen mind you, but the discussion is quite interesting.

Incredibly invasive privacy wise. Like disgusting

Good idea in concept but its completely unworkable

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Three years since the last proper ticket sale. They’ll obviously try everything within their power to keep the increase as minimal as possible but I don’t reckon it’ll be far off £300 to attend next year. 

The price for 2022 increased on the 2020 price. So its only a 1 year increase as usual pretty sure

1 minute ago, incident said:

I don't mind the concept - but logistically (with GDPR etc) there's no workable scenario where this could be done as anything other than a trust based scheme (with a "prefer not to say" option) - and you'd definitely have substantial numbers people lying in order to pay less.

Would it breach data protection if Glastonbury only had the code and no other details? They'd need to correlate it with whatever the tax office had on file for you... They certainly do that in some countries with speeding tickets where they charge you a percentage of income, and not the fixed fee.

But yeah, I think with freelancers, or seasonal workers, who don't maybe have standard salaries year on year, it probably wouldn't work. 

I just wonder how they could even it up without overstepping privacy laws. If you let people buy on a trust based system, people would just go for the cheapest tickets first and then those on lower incomes would be screwed regardless, even though it's them the festival would be trying to help.

26 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Basic - 150

Higher - 300

Additional - 500

Not sure what you were taking when you typed this but i would check its purity.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Would it breach data protection if Glastonbury only had the code and no other details?

Yes.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

They'd need to correlate it with whatever the tax office had on file for you...

That's where.

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

The price for 2022 increased on the 2020 price. So its only a 1 year increase as usual pretty sure

Oh sorry I naively assumed they honoured the price people signed up to pay in October 2019. If 2022 was £280 in the end then I’d be very surprised if it didn’t top the £300 mark in the next year or two. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

So what happens if the DD bounces due to lack of funds? Apart from paying the bank a fee for that, do you lose your ticket? "Oh shit forgot" like?

No, in fact there was a very similar issue with Wireless tickets this weekend. People had bought tickets on installment plans and missed payments or whatever. Some were only £5 shy of the balance, but Ticketmaster didn't issue their tickets. Instead they had to contact TM and get an invoice sent to them to pay the balance then they got the tickets.

3 hours ago, ProperTea said:

So next year will be the 14th year that Glastonbury charge £50 in October and then the full balance nearer the festival.

In 2009 when the scheme was introduced, that meant paying £50 in October and then a balance of £125.

14 years later and with rising ticket costs the scheme now is likely to see you paying £50 in October and then a balance of £245.

Is it time they split this up in to three of even four payments, to help with cashflow, and to enable those on lower incomes to attend the festival?

Not really. Its not much to ask for people to take some responsibility of their finances and if necessary put away a bit of money when they know full well they have a big bill coming out in the future, like a £245 ticket balance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

You say that like it's a bad thing? You'd rather have the Glastonbury balance than make rent or be able to eat? You seem to be arguing for a system that leaves you hungry and homeless but still able to get a ticket?

Not at all mate. I understand that mathematically what I'm saying makes no sense, but when you're in the situation, it makes perfect sense and it works. I'd say count yourself lucky that you've not had to be in that situation.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes.

That's where.

But if Glasto didn't have any other details except the tax bracket? What could they do with your tax bracket aside from charging you the "correct" amount.

I'm genuinely unsure what details they could derive from your tax bracket. They already have our addresses, SEETICKETS takes our credit card details... Between the two of them, they already have all your key details regarding where you live, DOB, your identity.

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Incredibly invasive privacy wise. Like disgusting

Good idea in concept but its completely unworkable

But what data would they get from just knowing our tax brackets? They already have our addresses, identity/picture, age, credit card or bank account details.

I'm genuinely unsure what they could do if they had our tax bracket and cross-checked it with HMRC. You know?

Not trying to argue for or against it, just bouncing ideas around.

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

But if Glasto didn't have any other details except the tax bracket? What could they do with your tax bracket aside from charging you the "correct" amount.

I'm genuinely unsure what details they could derive from your tax bracket. They already have our addresses, SEETICKETS takes our credit card details... Between the two of them, they already have all your key details regarding where you live, DOB, your identity.

I can't see any possible way they'd be able to validate the information provided is truthful. HMRC certainly wouldn't do it.