Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

21 minutes ago, 2019 said:

Ran 12k this morning. Too hot. I think I was overtaken by a stag beetle.

I went yesterday morning and was shocked when the app lady informed me of my speed for the first 10 mn. Then I hit the forest and it got much better 🙂 I was hoping to get to my next milestones before next week but with those temperatures I am not sure I'll manage, or it will be the day before leaving for the fest!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 7:30 AM, Nutella Versace said:

Hubby cracked a rib last weekend so there’s a possibility we may need to stay home ☹️

sh*t.  That said, having had cracked ribs before, there is literally nothing you can do apart from take painkillers and anti-inflammatories.  Hurts like hell, but I'm not sure I'd let it stop me going to Glasto.  Might have to be more reserved but the thought of having a ticket and not going, whilst laid up at home in pain and miserable as f**k would motivate me to go anyway.

1 hour ago, moogster said:

I went yesterday morning and was shocked when the app lady informed me of my speed for the first 10 mn. Then I hit the forest and it got much better 🙂 I was hoping to get to my next milestones before next week but with those temperatures I am not sure I'll manage, or it will be the day before leaving for the fest!

The heat isn't great is it?  Did a biggish walk yesterday (6 miles) early doors but it was still really tough and it's way too hot for the poor pooch so I'm going solo.  Off work today with a list of jobs to do, but might be able to get out on the bike later.

Day 189:

Weight: 278lb 
Daily Change: Unknown
Total Loss: 6lb

Been a while, Life just gets in the way sometimes doesn't it? 

Since Christmas I've had a horrendous list of things going wrong in my life, I won't bore you with the details, but it hasn't been fun... I stopped exercising (again) and ate so much food. I shot up to 305lb!!!! 

Anyway, a few months ago things started turning around a little bit, one by one I worked through all of the things that were going wrong (still not 100% there, but getting there.) So 8 weeks ago I started trying to lose weight again. Walking, Jogging (indoor / treadmill) and watching what I eat. I'm now back down to below 20 stone, which, whilst it's not where I thought I'd be when I first started these posts, it is lower than when I started, and I'm in a much better place than I thought I was going to be when looking forward 3 months ago. 

Whilst I'm not at an ideal weight for the farm... Dropping 27lb in 8 weeks definitely makes you feel lighter and more energetic, so in that way I'm ready for it... Bring it on. 

My only concern now is that I ruin all the hard work in 2 days on the farm by drinking loads (this is none negotiable) on Weds and Thurs 🙈🙈

Edited by Alvoram
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Day 189:

Since Christmas I've had a horrendous list of things going wrong in my life, I won't bore you with the details, but it hasn't been fun... I stopped exercising (again) and ate so much food. I shot up to 305lb!!!! 

Anyway, a few months ago things started turning around a little bit, one by one I worked through all of the things that were going wrong (still not 100% there, but getting there.) So 8 weeks ago I started trying to lose weight again. Walking, Jogging (indoor / treadmill) and watching what I eat. I'm now back down to below 20 stone, which, whilst it's not where I thought I'd be when I first started these posts, it is lower than when I started, and I'm in a much better place than I thought I was going to be when looking forward 3 months ago. 

Whilst I'm not at an ideal weight for the farm... Dropping 27lb in 8 weeks definitely makes you feel lighter and more energetic, so in that way I'm ready for it... Bring it on. 

My only concern now is that I ruin all the hard work in 2 days on the farm by drinking loads (this is none negotiable) on Weds and Thurs 🙈🙈

Nice to hear from you Alvoram! It has up and downs and the fact that you think long term is better than what a couple months up or down do. 

I think Glasto is a freebee in terms of eating or drinking, unless you camp at the Pyramid stage the whole day on a lounge chair.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Day 189:

Great work!

So for those of you who've followed my saga and been really supportive, a little update.

Had my latest round of tests last week and am due to see the GP on Thursday to discuss but a combination of insomnia and the heat means i ain't getting back to sleep tonight so thought I'd check the NHS app and...

I AM BELOW THE THRESHOLD FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES!!!

Pretty much bang on 6 months since diagnosis! I am so f**king pleased with this. So happy. Now there are caveats and i can't yet describe myself as in remission but very much on the way. This was achieved with medication so I need to get there results without Metformin and I then need to maintain those figures for another 3 months after. Which is what I'll be discussing with the doctor on Thursday.

some numbers for the stats fans. Normal range is 20-42, pre diabetes is 42-47 and 48 and above is diabetes. My initial diagnosis was 113. So REALLY diabetic. And my latest is 35. 

And just in general I am obviously so much fitter and healthier than I was 6 months ago. Currently knocking out hikes I couldn't have dreamed of 6 months ago. Tackled some pretty big fells recently and seem to have accidentally become a Wainwright bagger. Although I refuse to buy a map case. Fancied a change last week so did some of the Cumbrian coastal path and did 19 miles on day one followed by 16 on day two. And felt fine  I'm also not being as super strict on my diet now. I'm still careful obviously, but the very occasional treat is now allowed (as any normal person should). One of my problems in the past was they weren't occasional. And I've stopped using an app to track calories/carbs etc. It was very useful at the time but that way potential eating disorders lie. I would really have struggled with the super low calorie and low carb thing without it but I have a better idea of what I can and can't eat now. I'm maintaining my weight and look a million times better than I did in December.

BRING ON THE FARM!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8

16 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Day 189:

Nice to hear from you. Was wondering where you'd got to.

Sorry to hear you've had a few problems but good to read you're turning it around. You've got to be in the right place for this sort of thing to work. Hell, look at me! Took me years to get to that place. Sounds like you are getting there too. 27lbs in 8 weeks is brilliant. 

Edited by philipsteak

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

So for those of you who've followed my saga and been really supportive, a little update.

Had my latest round of tests last week and am due to see the GP on Thursday to discuss but a combination of insomnia and the heat means i ain't getting back to sleep tonight so thought I'd check the NHS app and...

I AM BELOW THE THRESHOLD FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES!!!

Pretty much bang on 6 months since diagnosis! I am so f**king pleased with this. So happy. Now there are caveats and i can't yet describe myself as in remission but very much on the way. This was achieved with medication so I need to get there results without Metformin and I then need to maintain those figures for another 3 months after. Which is what I'll be discussing with the doctor on Thursday.

some numbers for the stats fans. Normal range is 20-42, pre diabetes is 42-47 and 48 and above is diabetes. My initial diagnosis was 113. So REALLY diabetic. And my latest is 35. 

And just in general I am obviously so much fitter and healthier than I was 6 months ago. Currently knocking out hikes I couldn't have dreamed of 6 months ago. Tackled some pretty big fells recently and seem to have accidentally become a Wainwright bagger. Although I refuse to buy a map case. Fancied a change last week so did some of the Cumbrian coastal path and did 19 miles on day one followed by 16 on day two. And felt fine  I'm also not being as super strict on my diet now. I'm still careful obviously, but the very occasional treat is now allowed (as any normal person should). One of my problems in the past was they weren't occasional. And I've stopped using an app to track calories/carbs etc. It was very useful at the time but that way potential eating disorders lie. I would really have struggled with the super low calorie and low carb thing without it but I have a better idea of what I can and can't eat now. I'm maintaining my weight and look a million times better than I did in December.

BRING ON THE FARM!

I have enjoyed your progress and not least because you are doing it in beautiful countryside.

Well done and congratulations

25 minutes ago, moogster said:

By the way @philipsteak do you remember you promised to go and streak behind Lauren Laverne during a live BBC broadcast if you'd get the diabetes down right?

Whilst doing cartwheels wasn't it?

(Apologies, I am still 46 and some of you will be having breakfast. moogster started it though.

Just now, philipsteak said:

Whilst doing cartwheels wasn't it?

(Apologies, I am still 46 and some of you will be having breakfast. moogster started it though.

That's it 🙂 If you can do cartwheels at 46 then honestly that beats losing 30 kilos in terms of achievement!

On topic, just pushed myself to go and jog 5 k at 8 am today. The heat is killing me but I am worried that if I stop I won't start again. I do have a weird pain on top of my hip because I tried a too enthusiastic move climbing last Friday so I am trying to find the right balance between exercise and not hurting myself before next week. * off to check what kind of muscle I hurt *

7 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Anyone interested in a relaxed 5k jog around the site mid-to-later Thursday morning?
I think I recall seeing that there was an informal running group some years ago.

This is commitment - I've only ever seen people running around the site at Latitude. 

17 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Anyone interested in a relaxed 5k jog around the site mid-to-later Thursday morning?
I think I recall seeing that there was an informal running group some years ago.

There's a facebook group for that. Look for event "GLastonbury Thursday 5K run". Sorry I can't link it now but you should find it. 

Edited to add it's at 9am so probably a bit earlier than you'd like. But there's another one at 10 am from Greenpeace apparently. Run & Rave

Edited by moogster