Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

On 3/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, moogster said:

5 K completed! Woohoo!

Especially rewarding because I always hated running. I was never able to complete the 20 mn run at school, partially due to the asthma I suffered from as a kid. So yes, can't run/won't run in your 16 year old body? No worries, you can do it in your mid 40s 🙂

Excellent work moogster! 

Without wanting to turn this into the diabetes thread again, more good news today. Had my 3 months blood tests last week, results today, and they are really good. Still technically in the diabetes range but right at the bottom (48 thingys are the line, I got 50 thingys. First test 3 months ago was 113 thingys! Apologies to the non medical professionals for the technical language) 

And another successful week too. Just shy of 2kg lost. Steps a bit lower than they have been but still respectable. 

IMG_20230306_134232.thumb.jpg.1ba4da931584e30c3979a05cd6b2bac4.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, moogster said:

Great news @philipsteak. Hopefully your doctor's is happy too and buying you a present!

A massive cake! 

Actually, despite having a really sweet tooth I've missed stuff like that much less than I thought I would. Bread and potatoes are the two big ones for me. Honestly, what I wouldn't give for a chip butty right now. 

Just now, Neil said:

had my leg massage yesterday which was lovely, and today i've discovered the leg massager machines which are available to buy. has anyone tried them? how were they?

I have a massage gun, those with various attachments that vibrate at different speeds, I only really use the ball shaped attachment though. I use it after running, have to say I love the thing, use it almost daily and find it really helps, hurts whilst using but afterwards the muscle is much looser and less painful.

8 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I have a massage gun, those with various attachments that vibrate at different speeds, I only really use the ball shaped attachment though. I use it after running, have to say I love the thing, use it almost daily and find it really helps, hurts whilst using but afterwards the muscle is much looser and less painful.

thanks, i've looked at those but they don't look much fun, also don't look like they'd help much with my main issue (a tight quad by my knee) whereas something like this looks like it might help with lots of issues(thigh calf, ankle, foot) and help keep me off the strong painkillers.

Hey, delete if not suitable but I'm running the Brighton Marathon next weekend and rasing money for a valuable charity. I'd really appreciate if you could share my fundraising page or donate please. Anything you can give would be amazing, all the funds go directly to supporting the charity.

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/brighton-marathon-2023

On 3/13/2023 at 12:23 PM, sfroml said:

Ran the Thirsk 10 yesterday, 10 mile flat run. Time was 1 hour, 11 mins, 12 seconds. 

Fitness has massively improved compared to a year ago.

That's very decent going that sfroml, not sure you're going to struggle at Glasto :lol:  

On 3/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, Jacko45 said:

That's very decent going that sfroml, not sure you're going to struggle at Glasto :lol:  

Astonishing going by sfroml! Today I only just managed my first 10mile run since before Xmas when I caught flu. Can't believe it has taken me three months to get back to where I was in December. My plan is still to get to half marathon by end of May then chill.

Is anyone doing Leeds or Manchester 10k's from here?  I am entered for both.  Manchester is late May and Leeds weekend before Glastonbury!

I started running before last years festival, but got struck down with a Gallbladder infection the sunday before the festival and was in hospital with jaundice and on a drip until the friday so missed it all - which was really tough.  Got running again and did my first 10k in York in August in just under 1hr 10mins, then slacked off again for months.

I've been doing 5k's on and off since January and am now ramping that up to 2 or 3 a week and about to start increasing distance up towards 10k ready for May.

Gallbladder was removed in November so that mishap can't happen again so I should be fit for the festival - can't wait.  Long time since 2019.  No running at the festival, just plenty of booze and wandering aimlessly but getting fitter should mean my 50-something bones can cope!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:28 PM, Simsy said:

I actually got out and did some walking at the weekend, over on the Isle of Wight. Got plenty of steps in, my legs are still recovering now!

Military Road!! That is the most beautiful place in the entire world IMO. Did you walk all the way from Blackgang?

EDIT: Wait? Is that Niton! Christ.

Edited by WhatADin

1 hour ago, Northtim said:

Is anyone doing Leeds or Manchester 10k's from here?  I am entered for both.  Manchester is late May and Leeds weekend before Glastonbury!

I started running before last years festival, but got struck down with a Gallbladder infection the sunday before the festival and was in hospital with jaundice and on a drip until the friday so missed it all - which was really tough.  Got running again and did my first 10k in York in August in just under 1hr 10mins, then slacked off again for months.

I've been doing 5k's on and off since January and am now ramping that up to 2 or 3 a week and about to start increasing distance up towards 10k ready for May.

Gallbladder was removed in November so that mishap can't happen again so I should be fit for the festival - can't wait.  Long time since 2019.  No running at the festival, just plenty of booze and wandering aimlessly but getting fitter should mean my 50-something bones can cope!

I'm running the Leeds Marathon mid May! Excited for it now, managed 20 miles last Friday and I have a half-marathon trail run on Saturday in Bingley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatADin said:

Military Road!! That is the most beautiful place in the entire world IMO. Did you walk all the way from Blackgang?

EDIT: Wait? Is that Niton! Christ.

Got the train from Ryde to Lake on the Saturday morning, and walked from there to Niton. Sunday walked to Totland. Monday we bussed/hovered home.

It was beautiful, but my poor old Pompey legs aren't used to hills!

21 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Got the train from Ryde to Lake on the Saturday morning, and walked from there to Niton. Sunday walked to Totland. Monday we bussed/hovered home.

It was beautiful, but my poor old Pompey legs aren't used to hills!

That's a mahoosive trek, but what a beautiful place to walk. So haunting over that way on the Island.

I guess you'd have to head up to Micks and back about 4 times to get the same equivalent of hillish-ness. lol

Really enjoying just 3/4 5'ks a week at the moment.

Just half an hour at good pace, be trying to more or less sprint my last KM too. 

Also did a 48 mile walk over 2 days last summer that truly wore my boots in. 

Should be in good knick for Glasto.

This winter has been a virus-merry-go-round, don't think there's been a single week where I wasn't suffering from a cold or flu, which meant my rowing machine laid dormant for a good few months. Hopefully when the rain clears up and the temperatures come up a bit I can get back on it and improve my (diabolical) stamina.

Also bought a stretchy resistance band as a Spring time gift to myself to try and motivate myself out of this slump.

Fingers crossed if the Resale Gods allow it, I will have another reason to get back into shape!