Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

53 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Ouch I know all these supposed childhood illnesses are meant to be worse if you get them as an adult. Rest up and hope it passes quickly.

I think I'd prefer to reverse my weekday/weekend situation most of the time. I genuinely think within a few decades everyone will be looking at a 4 day week just to keep enough people in employment if nothing else. 

I did my end of month weigh in today. Decided to do it on the last Friday or Saturday of each month depending on what I was doing and as tomorrow I have to get up even earlier than a normal weekday this month it's a Friday weight in. Happy with the result 8.8lb's down. It'll be mostly water weight etc so not expecting anything like that every month but a good start. 

Thursday & Friday as my weekend mostly suits me. Means i can get admin type stuff done on days off if I need too and most people I know work hospo. Plus it's horrendously busy around here at weekends. I'd rather be getting paid to deal with the hordes rather than trying to deal with them in my free time! 

Downsides are its hard to arrange stuff with friends who work normal hours, and I do have to use a lot of annual leave for festivals. 

24 minutes ago, moogster said:

That's quite a result! Congrats!

I am actually starting two weeks 4 days / two weeks 5 days in March. Friday's are just not productive and I want the time to be able to do something else than work/groceries/household crap etc. This especially includes going more often to the climbing hall that's just too packed in the week end to be enjoyable. 

After learning about Noom, I now learned about walking football. This thread is full of interesting stuff 🙂

Thanks. I used to do compressed hours and had a day off in the week every fortnight and I loved it. I always got so much done. 

17 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I had a rest day yesterday, my legs just couldn’t take any more. So just 5.2k steps. 

But overall I’m still ahead for the week, and fully intend to go hard again today, feeling refreshed.

Have been eating a lot this week though, nothing horrendous like takeaways etc, but yesterday for example I had a full roast (I know, midweek roast) and a pasta bake in the evening. Put it down to needing the calories after the walks and gym visits this week. Mainly focusing on physical fitness for now anyway, weight loss will come naturally if I sustain this rate of activity and avoid takeaway food…

I've been having 3 good meals a day. If you are doing the activity and not snacking you can get away with good meals as long as the portions are not too big obviously!

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Thursday & Friday as my weekend mostly suits me. Means i can get admin type stuff done on days off if I need too and most people I know work hospo. Plus it's horrendously busy around here at weekends. I'd rather be getting paid to deal with the hordes rather than trying to deal with them in my free time! 

Downsides are its hard to arrange stuff with friends who work normal hours, and I do have to use a lot of annual leave for festivals. 

Yep I'd say if you were lucky enough to be able to do it for half the time it would be perfect. I have always found you can be so much more productive with time off in the week but the social life is a bit of a killer all the time. 

Just now, Simsy said:

Finished work while it was still light today, so went out to get my step count up (and still only just scraped 10,000).

PXL_20230127_162413908.thumb.jpg.e20ed2aeea6d0b7277b1256af6033e9f.jpg

Another person with pretty walks on their doorstep! Looking forward to when the evenings are light enough for me to get to some of the prettier parts of my neighbourhood! Also need it to be less muddy although I suppose our local park isn’t that bad if I am careful about the angle I take photos from!! 

4210803C-A9B3-4B68-BCE1-64BAED7C58E2.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Simsy said:

Finished work while it was still light today, so went out to get my step count up (and still only just scraped 10,000).

PXL_20230127_162413908.thumb.jpg.e20ed2aeea6d0b7277b1256af6033e9f.jpg

You should get double points for walking on a beach... Double the effort.

We're very lucky to live near wide open country spaces, I know that, but it doesn't stop me wishing we had a beach to walk along too... Something theraputic about the waves. Great pic btw. 

14 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

You should get double points for walking on a beach... Double the effort.

We're very lucky to live near wide open country spaces, I know that, but it doesn't stop me wishing we had a beach to walk along too... Something theraputic about the waves. Great pic btw. 

I stayed on the pavement rather than tackling the pebbles! Will have to hit the actual beach for some off-road training pre glasto.

There aren't many aesthetically pleasing parts of Portsmouth, but it is nice being a short stroll from the seafront.

Alright, I am finally here!

Been doing dry January and Veganuary (both stuck to) plus been going to gym 3 times a week all month. Clothes fitting better but weight doesn't seem to be coming  off. I am hoping this is the delayed weight loss you see when muscle is starting to rebuild.

I am technically setting Bearded Theory as my target but there isn't a group for that, plan is to lose even more ready for Glastonbury.

I am currently 103kg with a height of  170cm. I really want to get down to 80kg for Bearded and (drinking levels at Bearded dependant),, be around 75kg for Glastonbury 4 weeks later.

To do this I need to lose around 1.35kg a week, ever week, for 17 weeks. Sounds a lot but I did similar before I got married in 2015, although I was 8 years younger then. Is this possible or am I dreaming? I know that they say to lose 1kg per week but this is only ever so slightly more and with so much to lose I think it is possible. I am determined for the first time in about 5 years to get back down to almost where I was when I got married (maybe not that level as I got to super skinny then and can never see that happening again, got to around 73kg at my smallest with medium shirts looking big on me. Currently, large T shirts look very snug.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Been doing dry January and Veganuary (both stuck to) plus been going to gym 3 times a week all month. Clothes fitting better but weight doesn't seem to be coming  off. I am hoping this is the delayed weight loss you see when muscle is starting to rebuild.

I am technically setting Bearded Theory as my target but there isn't a group for that, plan is to lose even more ready for Glastonbury.

I am currently 103kg with a height of  170cm. I really want to get down to 80kg for Bearded and (drinking levels at Bearded dependant),, be around 75kg for Glastonbury 4 weeks later.

To do this I need to lose around 1.35kg a week, ever week, for 17 weeks. Sounds a lot but I did similar before I got married in 2015, although I was 8 years younger then. Is this possible or am I dreaming? I know that they say to lose 1kg per week but this is only ever so slightly more and with so much to lose I think it is possible. I am determined for the first time in about 5 years to get back down to almost where I was when I got married (maybe not that level as I got to super skinny then and can never see that happening again, got to around 73kg at my smallest with medium shirts looking big on me. Currently, large T shirts look very snug.

Welcome to the thread Chrisp.

We're doing weekly step challenges (amongst other things) if you want to join in? We're still at a relatively easy 75k per week this week, with it increasing each week. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Clothes fitting better but weight doesn't seem to be coming  off. I am hoping this is the delayed weight loss you see when muscle is starting to rebuild.

Same story here. Was really disappointed when I stepped on the scale this morning. I am SURE it's all new muscle 🙂

well yesterday I went to a mates wedding .... problem is when went to put my suit on , the trousers were just not happening .... so I had to wear my work trousers ... so now I need to attempt to lose the weight to fit back into that suit .... 

on another note the bass player from Reef was at the wedding .... and I failed to get any GSH info .... 

on a positive note my back feels a lot better and a bit of dancing hasnt caused any issues so hopefully later this week I can get back to swimming and then fingers crossed badminton monday week 

43 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

on another note the bass player from Reef was at the wedding .... and I failed to get any GSH info ....

I used to know Jack quite well, lovely bloke, as are all the band.

Spent a lot of time with them in 2001, when they were writing new material holed up in my mates farmhouse.

Loads of partying, jamming, surfing and pub visits.

4 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I'm also doing gym 3 times a week (sometimes 4). I've reduced my food intake and improved my diet (almost totally vegan) and I'm not losing any weight.

Cuurrently 80kg, looking to be 75kg by Glastonbury.

28 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I used to know Jack quite well, lovely bloke, as are all the band.

Spent a lot of time with them in 2001, when they were writing new material holed up in my mates farmhouse.

Loads of partying, jamming, surfing and pub visits.

well the groom was pretty good mates with him but the bride said he was having a night off sadly  .. so we got a 10 piece band instead 🙂 

2 hours ago, moogster said:

Same story here. Was really disappointed when I stepped on the scale this morning. I am SURE it's all new muscle 🙂

I've put a little weight on... But my large thighs, and massive calfs are like rocks, they're absoloutely solid, it'll balance out in a week or two. 

Fitness first, weight will come. 🙂 

Left myself a little work to do tomorrow, on 67174 so far, so 7826 to go... The good thing is, this is mostly from outdoor walks, as my shifts at work this week have been very quiet. 

I’m back on it after a lazy Christmas holiday where my running fitness evaporated and I gained some weight again.   I’ve found motivation via the Vitality life insurance thing where you have to get 40 points a week for various money off rewards.

I’m doing 2 runs, 1 cycle to and from work and some 12,500 steps days each week to reach the points goal.  Hopefully I’ll be fit again for Glastonbury. 

Edited by Pipine
  • Like 1

IMG_20230129_192349.thumb.jpg.4a71e17cb1ce96edd10806866ce7894d.jpg

Happy with that again, even if it is down on last week. Bit low today, although it was probably my biggest workout. We're short staffed so it was all hands on deck for housekeeping on a massive Sunday checkout. 

Very rare that I have to help out but goddamn those guys work hard. If you want to get fit get a housekeeping job. 

No photos today. A youth hostel after a big group of over privileged school kids have checked out isn't quite as appealing as my usual snaps

52 minutes ago, moogster said:

Hit 100 000 steps this week. Am quite knackered as tried to push on other non-step based activities. I cycled to the gardening centre this morning, which was nice until I rode back and remembered why I don't like cycling. FACING WIND. Urgh.

I've had a pretty good week as well. Not counted up the steps yet but I reckon I have cleared 100k steps as well. 

Well challenge completed. 🙂 And I still have a dog walk to do in a few minutes. 

Mon: 7027
Tue:
Wed: 13903
Thu: 5315
Fri: 12006
Sat: 14758
Sun: 7998 (So far.) 

Total 76,517 (So far.)

So, do we up it again next week??? I know my numbers aren't as high as some of you, but I am definitely feeling it. 80k will definitely be a challenge if we do up it!!!!

3 hours ago, moogster said:

Hit 100 000 steps this week. Am quite knackered as tried to push on other non-step based activities. I cycled to the gardening centre this morning, which was nice until I rode back and remembered why I don't like cycling. FACING WIND. Urgh.

Well done @moogster. Used to love cycling, haven't really done it since I was in my 20s though. 

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

IMG_20230129_192349.thumb.jpg.4a71e17cb1ce96edd10806866ce7894d.jpg

Happy with that again, even if it is down on last week. Bit low today, although it was probably my biggest workout. We're short staffed so it was all hands on deck for housekeeping on a massive Sunday checkout. 

Very rare that I have to help out but goddamn those guys work hard. If you want to get fit get a housekeeping job. 

No photos today. A youth hostel after a big group of over privileged school kids have checked out isn't quite as appealing as my usual snaps

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I've had a pretty good week as well. Not counted up the steps yet but I reckon I have cleared 100k steps as well. 

Well done to @philipsteak and @gigpusher too.

So are you all happy to set it at 80k next week, what with you all getting such high numbers??? Not too easy it? (Certainly won't be for me!) 

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Well challenge completed. 🙂 And I still have a dog walk to do in a few minutes. 

Mon: 7027
Tue:
Wed: 13903
Thu: 5315
Fri: 12006
Sat: 14758
Sun: 7998 (So far.) 

Total 76,517 (So far.)

So, do we up it again next week??? I know my numbers aren't as high as some of you, but I am definitely feeling it. 80k will definitely be a challenge if we do up it!!!!

Well done @moogster. Used to love cycling, haven't really done it since I was in my 20s though. 

Well done to @philipsteak and @gigpusher too.

So are you all happy to set it at 80k next week, what with you all getting such high numbers??? Not too easy it? (Certainly won't be for me!) 

These are my final numbers for last week.

Monday 12,692

Tuesday 13449

Wednesday 13227

Thursday 13301

Friday 16285

Saturday 17585

Sunday 23,549

Total – 110,088

I'm definitely in for this week as it will keep me focussed during the week but I won't have anything like those numbers this week as Friday afternoon I'm off to visit my sister and my newest niece for the weekend. My sister has already planned a trip to an all you can eat pizza place and who knows what else! Could do with some steps in the bank before we go.