Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

11 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Never worn DMs at a Glasto. Not the best footwear for a festival to be honest. They've not waterproof at all, the soles are crap in muddy or wet weather and they're very hot for your feet if the weather is good. If you buy modern ones the soles wear out really quickly and the leather tends to split where your foot bends. They're just about ok for wearing around town etc but modern DMs are nothing like ones I had in the 90s that lasted me years. I hear Solovair make better quality DM type shoes but I haven't tried them so can't really comment.

That's good enough for me, appreicate that. Heard a few people saying worn DM's are great for Glasto but i've always been a bit skeptical.

3 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

That's good enough for me, appreicate that. Heard a few people saying worn DM's are great for Glasto but i've always been a bit skeptical.

Just as @Johnnyseven said, they were good in the 90s. I did festivals then with a pair I still own. Anything I bought since has been decent enough for daily use but not Glasto material as far as I am concerned.

But seriously, yes I want to lose a bit of weight and get a bit fitter, not specifically for Glasto but just generally, I need to rein it in every so often and lose some or I'll just keep edging up and up.

So, I'm probably (realistically?) aiming for three bits of exercise a week.  One line dancing (don't laugh or judge, it's great fun!), one indoor session of online exercise or dust off the wii (yes, I'm old) and one running session, which realistically probably won't start until the evenings are lighter and/or the weather's better.

Might start trying to get a walk in every lunchtime as well - only 20-30 minutes or so as often as possible.

Edited by Beerqueen
Typos

13 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

But seriously, yes I want to lose a bit of weight and get a bit fitter, not specifically for Glasto but just generally, I need to rein it in every so often and lose some or I'll just keep edging up and up.

So, I'm probably (realistically?) aiming for three bits of exercise a week.  One line dancing (don't laugh or judge, it's great fun!), one indoor session of online exercise or dust off the wii (yes, I'm old) and one running session, which realistically probably won't start until the evenings are lighter and/or the weather's better.

Might start trying to get a walk in every lunchtime as well - only 20-30 minutes or so as often as possible.

If you can fit 2 running sessions in a week I find it makes running a lot easier.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:50 AM, Johnnyseven said:

If you can fit 2 running sessions in a week I find it makes running a lot easier.

You're right and I might aim for that once it's light after work.  I know I could get up early or fit in a run at lunchtime when I'm working from home but realistically that's not going to happen!  

I went to run again today after adding sport soles i had around to my shoes. Was much slower than two days ago. Not sure if i should blame it on the soles or not. The extra cushioning was nice...

I am back to my pre xmas weight so that's a plus. And now i got to shed that stone as that's probably my main goal.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 8:54 PM, chuckles07 said:

Sorry for belated response, been away for NY. I have decided to give it a miss as I suspect it wont start till Feb time and 14 weeks gets you into May. We normally go on hols in the time and also have a few boozy weekend reunions with old mates in Mar/Apr so i decided that it would be unfair to start if i was selected for the intervention group. It’s the not drinking thing after 7pm that buggers up the thing for me.

But as per your other points re restricted eating times, sort of fasting, i think you are bang on and it it is quite powerful in managing metabolism and ultimately weight. Any way HNY to you and all the “fit team”.

Fair play - it must be a nightmare for researchers to get all their ducks in a row to try to start these things at an optimal time.  A little earlier and screw that it's christmas, start too late and it meets holiday plans.  At least you were sensible enough to look forward and make a reasonable decision, I can imagine lots of participants being happy to plough on and then not stick with it properly as soon as they realise 'it's hard'.

Late reply from me too - hopefully back into a regular routine mon-fri of half-arsed intermittent fasting - I can usually manage 14 hours.  If I can drink less sun-thu for a few months on top of that then hopefully I fix some of the damage of the last few months.  Start building up more walks and short runs and it all starts to sound a bit too much 😄 

6 hours ago, moogster said:

Did a run in the rain at dusk. Prep in case there's something i must see at JP then something else at Avalon and i have 10 min between: done. Glastonbury 2023 i am going Rocky/Rambo ready. ( ok it was on asphalt but still).

By the way: @Alvoram where are you?

I'm here, sorry, had a horrendous Christmas in terms of fitness and effort, so I was trying to hide until I get back on track 😞 

In my defence, I should have known better, we were just way way too busy to have time to excercise or even cook decent meals. The days generally went: Work 16 hours minimum, order takeaway, go to sleep, and repeat for 2 weeks solid. Even the poor dogs barely got walked by either of us, they only really got walked by others for the whole of the Christmas break. 😞 (I think I took them out once!)

But I'm back on the mission, things seem to be a lot quieter this week. (Yes even last week was really oddly busy.) I'm back on the books of the gym too. 🙂 I haven't dared to weigh myself yet 😕 

8 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I'm here, sorry, had a horrendous Christmas in terms of fitness and effort, so I was trying to hide until I get back on track 😞 

Totally expected but thought I'd nudge you 🙂

But maybe you are now filthy rich from the good business and can hire a fancy personal trainer and get your body in a supercool-electro-machine that promises a week of workout in 20 minutes? 😉

• Like 1

Put on 4 pounds over xmas but have since lost 2 of those pounds. Not going to join another gym. I'm done with gym contracts. Plan to do some body weight strengthening and more walking. Aim to lose 1.5 stones by Easter and then I'll be back to the weight I was starting chemo 2 years ago. 

11 hours ago, Alvoram said:

In my defence, I should have known better, we were just way way too busy to have time to excercise or even cook decent meals. The days generally went: Work 16 hours minimum, order takeaway, go to sleep, and repeat for 2 weeks solid. Even the poor dogs barely got walked by either of us, they only really got walked by others for the whole of the Christmas break. 😞 (I think I took them out once!)

But I'm back on the mission, things seem to be a lot quieter this week. (Yes even last week was really oddly busy.) I'm back on the books of the gym too. 🙂 I haven't dared to weigh myself yet 😕 

I was terrible over Christmas and New Year. I always feel better starting things on a Monday so this Monday was my starting point. The weather has been really problematic but have been trying to walk at least one of the dogs twice a day. Yesterday evening weather was too bad but diet wise I have been good all week. Aiming for the rest of January just to average 10000 steps a day and to eat well. As the days get longer will try and get to 15-20k steps a day. Badly need to as my knee, hip and shoulder on my left side are killing me.

• Like 1

I haven't even charged my Apple watch all over Christmas... I think the gentle nudge in here was what I needed though, it's on charge now.

We can start some of those step challenges we spoke about next week... Let's start sensible, as @gigpusher says... 70k steps from Monday 16th to Sunday 22nd inclusive... Who's up for it? 

Have been walking the dogs this week, but nothing special, just the 2k circuit. Diet has improved slightly, but we still had pizza on Monday. I was aiming to get to the gym tonight, as Wednesday nights are absoloutely dead normally, so will have energy to burn. I'll let you all know how I get on. 

Thanks for the (very gentle) nudge you lovely people, I think it was just what I needed 🙂

I've braved the scales now... 8lbs gained over my original weight when I first posted 😞 Absoloutely gutting, but it was to be expected. That kind of lifestyle, even if it was only 2 weeks or so, is no good for anybody. But I've done it now, got back on the horse so to speak (the scales.) So let's reset and go from here. 🙂 (As a side note, to make this even worse, I actually feel lighter and better than this time last week, I dread to think what they would have said if I'd stood on them this weekend gone!!!) 

• Like 1