Isle of Wight 2023

galbani

1 hour ago, gfa said:

If this didn't have Ezra people would probably complain less honestly. Pulp Robbie (uk exclusive) and Chems are pretty strong for a 50k ish festival

i dont think its so much the headliners ima. its the undercard which is dreadful esp saturday, they have people like wolf alice foals dmas snuts lathums miles kane  johnny marr travis snow patrol franz ferdinand new order editors glasvegas libertines wombats ocs inhaler amy mcdonald embrace nothing but thieves kula shaker white lies the subways sports team idles etc

7 hours ago, gfa said:

Courteeners subbed in 2019 as well.

I think its fairly strong and will sell well - just not to a lot of people on here's taste. Once the second stage gets filled out it will look far better.

I stand corrected then.

I will say tbf that I do like the poster design. Quite a nice colour scheme in comparison to some prior harsher colour tones I've seen with other fests.

8 minutes ago, retrokev said:

i dont think its so much the headliners ima. its the undercard which is dreadful esp saturday, they have people like wolf alice foals dmas snuts lathums miles kane  johnny marr travis snow patrol franz ferdinand new order editors glasvegas libertines wombats ocs inhaler amy mcdonald embrace nothing but thieves kula shaker white lies the subways sports team idles etc

It's always dependent really on who you can find imo. Some times you get a properly elite level undercard full of great shit and other times, not so much.

More than anything though it's a real tonal mess. Like there's stuff I can see on the Friday and Sunday that kinda scans and might be fun to observe but Saturday just veers all over the show.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

If this didn't have Ezra people would probably complain less honestly. Pulp Robbie (uk exclusive) and Chems are pretty strong for a 50k ish festival

I feel the exact same, some pretty good gets, saturday big top needs some pushing for me to bother going for the entire day however, might just pop in for the evening otherwise

1 hour ago, retrokev said:

true - but also think if they didn't have Ezra they could have spent far more money on the undercard

18 hours ago, charlierc said:

More than anything though it's a real tonal mess. Like there's stuff I can see on the Friday and Sunday that kinda scans and might be fun to observe but Saturday just veers all over the show.

IOW has been like this for years. It doesn't seem to have any real identity. Also look back over their line up posters and it's full terrible clashes, which could easily be avoided at a festival with only two stages worth mentioning.

18 hours ago, charlierc said:

It's always dependent really on who you can find imo. Some times you get a properly elite level undercard full of great shit and other times, not so much.

4 minutes ago, km9 said:

IOW has been like this for years. It doesn't seem to have any real identity. Also look back over their line up posters and it's full terrible clashes, which could easily be avoided at a festival with only two stages worth mentioning.

The two stages don't lineup very well - e.g. its just about possible (if you can get in to the big top post headliner) to see both stages headliners. So it sort of works, usually hard to tell until the lineup comes out honestly

On 7/12/2022 at 10:19 AM, Tommy101 said:

They played Killers and Robbie Williams as the fireworks were going off at the end of Muse. At the time I thought they could be foreshadowing two of next years big acts.

Got 1 from 2 of these. I thought the song choices felt deliberate for some reason.

I'll be listening out for similar clues in the future!

The line up has enough for us to be getting tickets this week but will keep fingers crossed for a decent fleshing out of the undercard in future announcements.

Taken a bit of time to reflect on this and I’m disappointed, especially given the amount of the undercard that were at Victorious last year…

Sugababes, Sophie-Ellis Bextor, Anne-Marie, Sam Ryder, Scouting For Girls, Example & The Reytons were all there last year!

5 hours ago, Sam217 said:

Taken a bit of time to reflect on this and I’m disappointed, especially given the amount of the undercard that were at Victorious last year…

Sugababes, Sophie-Ellis Bextor, Anne-Marie, Sam Ryder, Scouting For Girls, Example & The Reytons were all there last year!

I agree with this. While Pulp and Blondie are bucket list level for me, the rest of the line up announced is last year's Victorious stuff I skipped. It's still worth me going, and I'll be at Victorious as well, but secretly hoping I'll get Glastonbury tickets as well to see some "bigger"/rockier acts. 

Thankfully I've also got Blink and Slam Dunk next year as well. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, WhatADin said:

I agree with this. While Pulp and Blondie are bucket list level for me, the rest of the line up announced is last year's Victorious stuff I skipped. It's still worth me going, and I'll be at Victorious as well, but secretly hoping I'll get Glastonbury tickets as well to see some "bigger"/rockier acts. 

Thankfully I've also got Blink and Slam Dunk next year as well. 

think victorious always have a bigger better filled out line up than iow,even though i do both as live on iow. think victorious will pull out big guns this year being a full 3 days. cant wait for line up.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, retrokev said:

think victorious always have a bigger better filled out line up than iow,even though i do both as live on iow. think victorious will pull out big guns this year being a full 3 days. cant wait for line up.

I hope so! I live in Portsmouth so it's super easy for me (sadly not Southsea so still a slight chaotic trek home lol) but I reckon we might get some big ones this year. I'd hedge my bets for Kasabian, Jamie T or 1975 being at least one. 

18 minutes ago, WhatADin said:

I hope so! I live in Portsmouth so it's super easy for me (sadly not Southsea so still a slight chaotic trek home lol) but I reckon we might get some big ones this year. I'd hedge my bets for Kasabian, Jamie T or 1975 being at least one. 

think kasabian should be nailed on and 1975 have not announced anything yet so could be. can see noel and or weller there as well.who knows wait and see

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, retrokev said:

think kasabian should be nailed on and 1975 have not announced anything yet so could be. can see noel and or weller there as well.who knows wait and see

Id love both of them.  Plus Noel was class at Glasto, so him too…. Although that’s too similar so won’t be them 3.  

23 hours ago, WhatADin said:

Yea, I love the ole Victorious, location and no water to cross . I’m an old git so hotel where ever . But iow has tone done for sake of world harmony ❤️

• Upvote 1

from record of the day:

Looks like the bookers for next year’s Isle Of Wight festival didn’t get the memo regarding the optics of not having more women headlining the bill, or indeed trying to encourage diversity. Pulp, George Ezra, The Chemical Brothers and Robbie Williams all get top billing, proving that very little has changed in the past decade, particularly when three of those four acts wouldn’t have looked out of place in 1998, and all of them are white blokes. We’ll watch with interest how tickets sell, particularly as the full-price weekend ones are now £215, profit margins are said to be wafer-thin, and everyone will be counting the pennies as we head into next summer.

Could get some flack for this round here (i agree festivals 100% need to do more) but when times are tough for everyone surely going for safe bet ticket sellers is a good strategy vs pushing acts up the lineup?

I can't think of any female headliner touring next summer thats announced for festivals yet that would fit at IOW whos not on an exclusive (or who is on an exclusive, whos even about ... not done much thinking)

7 hours ago, gfa said:

Could get some flack for this round here (i agree festivals 100% need to do more) but when times are tough for everyone surely going for safe bet ticket sellers is a good strategy vs pushing acts up the lineup?

I can't think of any female headliner touring next summer thats announced for festivals yet that would fit at IOW whos not on an exclusive (or who is on an exclusive, whos even about ... not done much thinking)

Few things, one is there's absolutely very few female artists who could headline a festival like IOW I agree, there's like Adele, but that ain't happening. Last time Pink headlined a similar festival she killed off V Festival for good. It's all well and good waving the flag for this but it won't sell. 

IOW is clearly aimed at an older audience with a smattering of things for the children (moreso grown up children) As in 50 year olds going with their mid 20s kids kind of thing as family break away together.

You will see more safe bets than ever next year and that's fine, it's their business. Stick with what works. 

Going back to Victorious as mentioned by a few people, they know what works it's a pretty much 50/50 line up of current and 90s Indie and pop. They aren't going to start booking current grime artists or something as a headliner because they know it's not their audience. 

Victorious strays away from that and it will be their downfall like it was V's when they went too much down the pop route and then tried to start adding in other genres. 

Victorious took a gamble once and added a rock stage, it was low key acts but some decent stuff there, I watched a couple of acts, it was absolutely dead, no one was interested, it didn't pull in new crowds and the existing punters didn't care. 

Reading is a festival that has to try and move with the times as its main user base is 16-18 year olds. 

Not every fest has to do this.

I think once it's padded out IOW will look fine it's just a little too pop heavy at the moment. 

EDIT and no, this wasn't all based at you gfa 🤣 I just couldn't be arsed to multi quote sorry! 

Edited by luckysalt