Isle of Wight 2023

galbani

37 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Imagine having Robvie Williams to close the weekend when this year was Muse. 

Bit of a joke.

Screenshot_20221031-080855_Instagram.jpg

What is that Saturday? Tonally that's really all over the shop.

Eh. I'm a big Muse fan so I would prefer that, but for a festival in the niche that Isle of Wight has fallen into, a Robbie Williams is a decent get and as a UK festival exclusive to boot, plus Blondie is a good choice of sub.

Plus it's another chance to see the strange regional variation that is The Courteeners if they're subbing Pulp here whereas up north they have the option of seemingly picking wherever they want.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

What is that Saturday? Tonally that's really all over the shop.

Eh. I'm a big Muse fan so I would prefer that, but for a festival in the niche that Isle of Wight has fallen into, a Robbie Williams is a decent get and as a UK festival exclusive to boot, plus Blondie is a good choice of sub.

Plus it's another chance to see the strange regional variation that is The Courteeners if they're subbing Pulp here whereas up north they have the option of seemingly picking wherever they want.

Courteeners subbed in 2019 as well.

I think its fairly strong and will sell well - just not to a lot of people on here's taste. Once the second stage gets filled out it will look far better.

I've been attending since 2008 and totally underwhelmed by this lineup. JG recently spoke about the rising costs and it is reflected here. The bigger tickets touring next year, Springsteen, Pink, Coldplay are out of reach, long gone are the days when top dollar was paid for the RHCP, Macca, Stones etc. The 2012 lineup included Springsteen, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, Biffy, Elbow and Noel. In 2011 Pulp were sub to the Foo's.

There seems to be more solo pop artists this year, the rock identity of the festival has also been lost. I do have a good deal of sympathy for anyone organising large events at this time, the alternative I guess is to follow Glastonbury'lead and hike prices by £80. Our group of 8 will still make our annual pilgrimage, however the general feeling after today is that we may take a break after next year. I live in hope that the next announcement may bring more cheer! 

1 hour ago, KevRP said:

I've been attending since 2008 and totally underwhelmed by this lineup. JG recently spoke about the rising costs and it is reflected here. The bigger tickets touring next year, Springsteen, Pink, Coldplay are out of reach, long gone are the days when top dollar was paid for the RHCP, Macca, Stones etc. The 2012 lineup included Springsteen, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, Biffy, Elbow and Noel. In 2011 Pulp were sub to the Foo's.

There seems to be more solo pop artists this year, the rock identity of the festival has also been lost. I do have a good deal of sympathy for anyone organising large events at this time, the alternative I guess is to follow Glastonbury'lead and hike prices by £80. Our group of 8 will still make our annual pilgrimage, however the general feeling after today is that we may take a break after next year. I live in hope that the next announcement may bring more cheer! 

I’ve been saying for a while IOW has turned into a mid tier festival.  It used to pay massive money for their headers but now it’s at Glastonbury sub/Other stage headliner level.  

They do still pull the odd big act like a Muse but guessing it’s 1 a year max.  

IOW was my initial backup incase I didn’t get Glasto tickets but it’s far too poppy for me this year.  I’ll stick with Victorious and then look for another if the worst happens and I don’t get tickets.

2 hours ago, FxxxItFlowers said:

for what its worth, minus Ezra thats a really good set of headliners for this, none have headlined before which is a rarity for what its worth

Friday looks great all around to me, Ill only be going Saturday for the time being as its finally my chance to see The Chem's, not turning that opportunity down

If this didn't have Ezra people would probably complain less honestly. Pulp Robbie (uk exclusive) and Chems are pretty strong for a 50k ish festival

Edited by gfa
  • Like 1